Just Like We Dreamed It: My First DLRP Trip (Jan 2011)

Started by Pixel, January 21, 2011, 11:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pixel

So, thanks to the help of the kind forum members here, I finally made it out to Disneyland Paris! All I had free was one day, so my challenge was simple - get the most I could from both parks from 10am to 6pm. And fill up my empty backpack with gifts for back home of course!

As you can see, quite a grey day to start with. It got sunny later on however, and it never actually rained, so it wasn't too bad. :) I was thrilled to see the size of the castle. You see, I was a lot shorter in 2006 when I went to Anaheim, and I was terrified that perhaps getting older and taller would make the castle less astonishing. But this one was as big and beautiful as I remember the one being in DLR, so I was more than happy. Also, the stained glass windows inside were wonderful! I was surprised to see characters such as the Queen represented with such accuracy, when lesser characters and features are sometimes overlooked and drawn badly - specifically in the Disney Princess franchise.

Hooray, so many references to Tiana and The Princess And The Frog around the park! Stitch too, he was everywhere in plush form.

We spent so long navigating those Adventureland caves trying to get to that top bridge... certainly worth it though, a unique view of the castle and the two pirate ships. And when we got down we found Smee, Pluto, Rafiki and two of The Jungle Book characters (still a movie I need to see!) having fun with the guests.

The Pirates Of The Carribean was great, the drops seemed more thrilling than they did in Anaheim. Like DLRPMagic.com said, it was nice to see the ride without the film-related additions. Phantom Manor on the other hand really disappointed me. My trip to Disneyland in California had been in October, so having only seen the Haunted Mansion Holiday, this was my first real Haunted Mansion. I guess I just expected it to be more story-heavy, when the ride was more about the effects than the tale of the bride. I liked the spookiness of it all though, I was a bit jumpier after I left that ride. ;)

Next we decided to look around the Studios park, which was much better than I expected. Instantly I could hear background music from Pocahontas playing over the speakers, which of course can only be a good thing. ;) The Art Of Disney Animation is an INCREDIBLE attraction, which was very enjoyable and hilarious when Mushu decided to join in the discussion.

Crush's Coaster... wow. I'm not a big "extreme rides" type of person, so this was a leap of faith for me. So glad I did it though, that rush was a thrill like no other! Seriously, for the last half of the ride you are practically constantly falling. If you've done the ride, you know what I mean. I only had to wait about 10 minutes too, it wasn't as big of a queue as I had prepared myself for. If I had more time at the parks I would have joined the queue a few more times, I assure you!

Finally, we returned to the Disneyland Park to see the parade before the parks closed. On the way down Main Street USA I took a final look into some of the stores, and stared in awe at the Big Figs. If I had the space in my suitcase for it, I would have happily brought back that gigantic Stitch figure to New Zealand. ;D

The Peter Pan was the only cast member that disappointed me in the end, he seemed disinterested when we saw him in the parade train earlier and again in the Once Upon A Dream Parade. He just didn't make it believable. :/ Luckily, the rest of the parade's performers were terrific and played their roles spectacularly! That was the first time I had seen the Beast/Prince from Beauty and the Beast in his human form (in person that is), and his costume was so detailed. That song is so catchy too, I went right into the Main Street Emporium and bought the parade soundtrack album and the 3-disc Disney film soundtrack collection. The incredibly friendly cast member who served me was so kind that it was hard to say no to that half-price beach towel he offered me... but I found the will to stick with the CDs.  :thumbs:

Well, thanks for reading, and hopefully I can return here one day! Obviously there were a few small things like the teacups that I didn't mention, but there were still some things I missed out on. Next time I'll stay in the Disneyland Hotel itself, so I'll be close enough to conquer the entire park. :lol:
e komo mai

never2old

Whoa, Crush in only 10 minutes?? Parks must have been really quiet!

Sounds like a great first visit :D And it's good not to do everything, you need an excuse to go back!!!  :D

toonarmylass

never known crush in 10 mins!!! well i lie because of matthews pass, but u know what i mean! lol matthew loves the stitches on the lamp posts!!!

Pixel

Quote from: "never2old"Whoa, Crush in only 10 minutes?? Parks must have been really quiet!

Sounds like a great first visit :D And it's good not to do everything, you need an excuse to go back!!!  :D

Don't worry, I don't need excuses to go back. I have tons. ;) I need Alice's Labyrinth, Storybook Land, Thunder Mountain, and a ton of other things to tick off!

Also, I really wish I bought more merchandise.  :?  All in all, I actually just bought 6 little gifts for friends, a Stitch pen for me (of course I picked the broken one), a couple of Vinylmation, the parade soundtrack album and the 3-disc Disney film song collection. I should've bought those Mickey Mouse gloves. Also, I looked everywhere for Phantom Manor merch but found nothing! D:
e komo mai

never2old

There's not much PM merchandise (or even none at all), a real shame because it's one of my favourite rides, I would love to have at least a mug or something!

Pixel

Quote from: "never2old"There's not much PM merchandise (or even none at all), a real shame because it's one of my favourite rides, I would love to have at least a mug or something!
Apparently the American versions of the Haunted Mansion have heaps of great merchandise. What I liked the look of was the Haunted Mansion key I saw online:
e komo mai

never2old

Yes, they have some cool stuff for Haunted Mansion. I've seen mugs, keys, t-shirts, pins... even art work!

Pixel

Quote from: "never2old"Yes, they have some cool stuff for Haunted Mansion. I've seen mugs, keys, t-shirts, pins... even art work!
Indeed, I've seen photos of life-size reproductions of the stretching portraits! (By the way, I think the Phantom Manor stretching portraits are better.  :P )
e komo mai

dagobert

Thanks for your trip report!

It is really sad that there is no PM merchandise anymore at DLRP. The only attractions that have their own merchandise are TOT and Captain EO at the moment. Or are there more?

Pixel

Quote from: "dagobert"Thanks for your trip report!

It is really sad that there is no PM merchandise anymore at DLRP. The only attractions that have their own merchandise are TOT and Captain EO at the moment. Or are there more?

Don't mention it! :)

Technically you could say they had Pirates Of The Carribean merchandise, but that's more to do with the franchise itself than the ride. :/
e komo mai