Princess Pavilion in Fantasyland (Now Open)

Started by Anthony, August 21, 2010, 04:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

So this slipped out on Monday, good timing with eyes elsewhere.

I noticed the World Chorus postshow of "it's a small world" was closed this week, and here's apparently why: It's going to become a new covered meet 'n' greet location for Disney Princesses, according to member Eve on Disney Central Plaza.

The area was completely unique to Disneyland Paris and I believe the lovely animation segments were produced by the old Walt Disney Animation studio in Paris. (If anyone knows more about those, please let us know) Maintenance of the video clips and effects wasn't always that great, but I loved this area... what a loss.

Anthony

And look here we are, I took this on Monday evening. I was disappointed at the time to see it closed...

...now I wish I'd broken the door down and had one last look!

Apparently it's part of next year's Magical Moments Festival. Yes, you read correctly, after MMP and NGF, it's MMF for 2011. Forced photo locations ahoy.

Festival Disney

If I had known it would have been closed, I wouldn't have rushed through it so fast when we visited in July. :evil:

Is there any possibility that if the princesses move here, it might free up the Royal Castle Stage so that it can return to its propper use? One can hope :lol:

On another note... Magic moments? How original  :roll:
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

tubbsy

I must admit that  we used to only walk through and watch the films once on each trip but ride IASW about five times - but I loved the little films so sad to see them go! Can they not work them into the queue line at the beginning somehow instead? Put screens still boxed in little houses hanging from the ceiling some how showing them?
Quote from: "Festival Disney"Is there any possibility that if the princesses move here, it might free up the Royal Castle Stage so that it can return to its propper use? One can hope :lol:
Now wouldnt that be great? But that ugly word-budget springs up again! :roll:  :lol:

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

britincgn

Although its a shame it going because i was unique,lets face it no one went to look and the long walk to get out of the attraction was hated by some.

Would like to see the castle stage being used for what it was made for again.

pussinboots

Well, we should have seen it coming. France Télécom has long pulled out, and those kids in the videos were stuck in an era long before iPhones. And of course it would be a princess meet-and-greet, and of course they would be selling it as the main attraction of something called the "Magical Moments Festival." Euro Disney is nothing if not dependable.

I loved the area as a child (particularly the fiberglass shooting star effect along the wall), so I'll be sad to see it go, too. It was one of Disney's better attempts at incorporating the sponsor into the attraction, and it encapsulated the message of the ride well. (Sorry, eulogizing came as a natural impulse.)

I wonder if things would have gone differently if 'Small World had been the popular ride they foresaw in 1992.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "Anthony"The area was completely unique to Disneyland Paris and I believe the lovely animation segments were produced by the old Walt Disney Animation studio in Paris. (If anyone knows more about those, please let us know)

All I know for sure is that the animation was directed by Chris Bailey (who would go on to work on Runaway Brain, It's Tough to Be A Bug and Kim Possible) and that they were of course an application of the video-based Pepper's Ghost variety. Much like Star Course (defunct), Timekeeper's time machine (defunct) and the card players of Phantom Manor (still there for now).

Quote from: "pussinboots"I wonder if things would have gone differently if 'Small World had been the popular ride they foresaw in 1992.

Oh, it actually is quite popular. If its queue line is never very long it's mostly because it has the highest capacity of any ride in the park and no FastPass to inflate the standby wait time. Its guest satisfaction rate is also among the highest.

davewasbaloo

This has really bummed me out. I loved this post show area, and it really unified the theme. I don't think much to princess meets and greets at the best of time, but this is really a sad situation to me :(
since 2001 (many before that)

bigrossco

wow, I feel bad lol I did not even notice it there when I was last in DLP lol ops
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Kristof

I have some more info if you'd like...

The working title is Royal Princess Palace.  It's designed by WDI, NOT Entertainment.  And the area will be open even when there are no Princesses inside, since there will be interactive elements all over the place.

The Helmsman

Now that's sad news  :(  . At least I managed to take a last walk by during my last visit. Mainly when I did this ride I always visited the post show. On the other hand if you come to think about it, people rarely cared about it and they just made a quick passing by or didn't even notice it. Disney is just trying to re-invent a place where people as it seems have no interest. And what would it be more popular at the moment...? A meet and greet with princesses...unfortunately.
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

JelleP

Well, I must say I never realized this area was actually there...
So, for 'normal' visitors it's not a big deal that it's being replaced with something 'normal' people would actually remember, right..? (I'm so bad at explaining my thoughts...:roll:)
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Malin

QuoteApparently it's part of next year's Magical Moments Festival. Yes, you read correctly, after MMP and NGF, it's MMF for 2011. Forced photo locations ahoy.

Can we start an official thread for the Magical Moments Festival?

QuoteIs there any possibility that if the princesses move here, it might free up the Royal Castle Stage so that it can return to its propper use? One can hope

But any show like that would involve money. Something Management seem to be against doing unless its wasted on carnival rides and year long events. Its probarely to free up the space so the Entertainment can put on more silly meet & Smile type shows like Mary Poppins.

I really think the current direction Disneyland Paris is going in is very sad. Next month will possibly be my last trip to the Resort. I just don't see much to be positive about anymore :(

dagobert

Come on, is Disney of today just about Princesses? First they ruined one of the best restaurants in the resort, Auberge de Cendrillion, with a Princess character meal and now it is it's a small world.

I didn't like the post show of it's a small world and so I don't mind that it will be removed. BUT why does it have to be replaced with another meet and greet.

In Florida they realized that they have to think about all the new princess meet and greets and now the whole expansion plan gets reworked. It looks like they are really afraid of Harry Potter and it is about time that Disney realizes that they don't create the best attractions in the themepark business anymore. All Disney can do is to use franchises and to squeeze the money out of it until nobody wants to see it anymore. Maybe that's a reason why "The Princess and the Frog" wasn't a success. Maybe people are getting tired of Disney princesses.

Festival Disney

Quote from: "Kristof"It's designed by WDI, NOT Entertainment.  And the area will be open even when there are no Princesses inside, since there will be interactive elements all over the place.

At least there is some good news!
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day