Disney's Hotel Santa Fe refurbishment — New "Cars" touches

Started by Kristof, July 30, 2010, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Oh wow, that is awful. I'm going to have to let this sink in for a bit.

dagobert

Quote from: "RiverRogue"
Quote from: "dagobert"Another bad decision by DLP-I. I really would shut down that branch of WDI and everything should be done in Glendale.

Um... do you know that for a fact or are you just bashing them for the sport of it?

In my own experience, DLPI (despite producing a few misses over the years) knows and protects the park's legacy way more effectively than most people realize, and their projects have definitely shown more respect for the park's original Imagineers (a few of which are working at DLPI, just by the way) than those of the Glendale branch.

However, they're not immune to internal company politics, and unfortunately many decisions taken by upper management today are market research-driven. If guests want characters everywhere (and I guess that unfortunately they do), then DLPI can't do much to prevent that.

You got me! I know that my post is a little bit unfair, because they really did great jobs in recent years, too, especially the little Coca Cola food kiosks in Adventureland or Discoveryland.

I'm just guessing, because Kristof posted in the Sequoia Lodge Refurbishment Thread that DLP-I is responsible for the new design of the rooms. That's why I thought that DLP-I is also responsible for this.

I'm aware of the fact that DLP-I has to do what the management tells them.

But when you look at other Disney resorts, especially the hotels and attractions, and what is done there, you have to admit that there is something going wrong in Paris. But that's just my opinion.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm just guessing, because Kristof posted in the Sequoia Lodge Refurbishment Thread that DLP-I is responsible for the new design of the rooms. That's why I thought that DLP-I is also responsible for this.

Well, they probably did end up working on it, but as for the decision I wouldn't bet that it was theirs.....

Quote from: "dagobert"But when you look at other Disney resorts, especially the hotels and attractions, and what is done there, you have to admit that there is something going wrong in Paris. But that's just my opinion.

You're obviously not alone in your opinion and I know that it's shared by more than a few people working at DLP too... I could tell you about the many atrocities narrowly avoided thanks to the dedication of some of those people... They can't always get their way, though.

On the whole, I guess things would probably be somewhat different if the financial situation of the resort was better. They might take a few more risks and more often follow creative ideas rather than marketing concepts.

Reiana

Wow :shock: is this real? I never really liked the Clint Eastwood picture, but this is, ahm yes.... I'm in loss for words.
My daughter would have loved it 2 weeks ago. She is a big McQueen fan, but I think, this is a little bit too much. Even for me.
So it was good I took a picture from the billbord two weeks ago. Last one forever. Wow.

I still don't know if I like it or not.

penfold12

I'm still trying to digest this.... Is it real or photoshopped?  Granted the hotel is the weak link and for my taste too stylised a version and recreation of Santa Fe. I had always hoped that one day they would give it a refurb and dress the outsides of the buildings along the lines of Fuente De Oro restaurant in frontier land. That to me evokes the hot south west and real theme, it also holds it's own in the dark grey raining days, much more than the current style.

Adding a cars overlay does not fit in with the rest of the hotels. Mind you, with the cheaply announced art of animation hotel in wdw cashing in on Nemo, Cars, Lion King and Little Mermaid, I'm not entirely surprised by this move....

Festival Disney

Quote from: "-breeno-"One last thing entered my mind, if Santa Fe get's an all round Cars retheme, would it mean that Cars billboard we saw on Studio 1 will replace the Clint Eastwood one?  Now that's a scary thought :shock:

Breeno forsaw the future  :lol:  :P
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

never2old

I don't like it. At all  :x

Sure, the Santa Fe is my least favourite hotel, but it had a theme, it had a feel to it, and it fitted with the overall theme of the Disney hotels. As much as I love the characters, I don't want to see them take over that. It was bad enough to add Mickey and friends to the Buffallo Bill show, and now this???  ](*,)  ](*,)

And I fear this is just the beginning... Cars for the Santa Fe, Bambi for the Sequoia... Wonder when Toy Story will invade the Cheyenne!

Riebi

hate it. :twisted:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

Quote from: "never2old"I don't like it. At all  :x

Sure, the Santa Fe is my least favourite hotel, but it had a theme, it had a feel to it, and it fitted with the overall theme of the Disney hotels. As much as I love the characters, I don't want to see them take over that. It was bad enough to add Mickey and friends to the Buffallo Bill show, and now this???  ](*,)  ](*,)

And I fear this is just the beginning... Cars for the Santa Fe, Bambi for the Sequoia... Wonder when Toy Story will invade the Cheyenne!

I also can imagine that this is just the beginning. Maybe Disney thinks that they will generate more money with characters. For example the new budget hotel currently built in WDW is also based on Disney and Pixar movies. I wonder what the architect of the hotel will say about the transition. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think that people will more likely stay in the Santa Fe, because it gets a Cars theme. I think it is important to improve the quality and then people will come and spend money.

I don't want to be so negative all the time, but at the moment Disneyland Paris annoys me a lot with their projects. I fear that DLP is heading in the wrong direction, becuase it orientates too much on WDW.

The Helmsman

In plain internet talk...this sucks! Why oh why they think that by sticking in our throats toons all over the place will make things better. I'm really disappointed by this move and I didn't expect it to happen!
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

MissDisney

well by far Cars is not my favourite film, however i dont think changing the Santa Fe board is a bad thing, even to this, it fits in with the theme after all! Clint was starting to look a little dated bless him! If people didnt want too much Disney on thier holiday they stay elsewhere! if ur in a Disney hotel surely the expectation is that Disney stuff will be all around? i certainly expected that my first time! i was kinda dissapointed when there wasnt! Of all the things they could have done i dont think this is a huge deal! Im just always happy to be there, infact i'll see it in two months! maybe my opinion will change when i see it....who knows! :thumbs:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" Walt D

"Noooooo touchy"

Hotel Cheyanne 2007
Hotel Santa Fe 2008 2009 and 2010
Experienced Halloween, MNSSHP, Christmas and Summer!

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "MissDisney"If people didnt want too much Disney on thier holiday they stay elsewhere! if ur in a Disney hotel surely the expectation is that Disney stuff will be all around? i certainly expected that my first time! i was kinda dissapointed when there wasnt!

Shudder. No, I always expect DIsney to give me highly themed immersive environments. I do not want to see characters everywhere I turn. The first 40 years of Disney parks the characters were mainly relegated to Fantasyland, and that is how I like it.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

I am heartened to see I am not alone in hating the pushing of character tie ins. But look at it since Iger came on board:

DCA
- World of Color (all tied to the films)
- Funwheel put in a huge Mickeymouse head that was not needed
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Orange Stinger changed to a Silly Symphony theme
- Mulhalland Madness themed to Goofy's Sky School
- California Dreams ripped out for Ariel
- Monsters Inc replacing SUperstar Limo
- Fliks Fun Faire
- Carsland
- Turtle Talk

Only new things without tie ins were ToT (planned during Eisner's reign) and the new entrance

DL
- Toon themed shows
- Sleeping Beauty Walk Through re do
- Gt Moments with Mr Lincoln (not toon themed)  :D
- Finding Nemo Submarine voyage
- Characters in It's a Small World  :evil:
- Johnny Depp in PotC
- Star Tours 2
- Pirates overlay of Tom Sawyer Island  :evil:

Disneyland Hotel - ripping out the falls and Lost Bar and putting in Monorail waterslides - self referrencial

WDW
MK
- All the new Fantasyland redo it toon based
- Stitch Encounter
- Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
- Johnny Depp in PotC

Epcot
- Donald and the 3 Cabrilleros put in the Mexico pavillion
- Turtle Talk
- Finding Nemo invades the Living Seas
- Capt Eo
- O Canada redo

DHS
- Toystory Midway Mania
- Block Party
- American Idol
- Star Tours v2

DAK
- Expedition Everest (planned in Eisner's reign)
- Yak and Yeti

Hotels
- Nemo and PotC overlay of the Caribbean Beach resort
- Toons introduced to the Luau (early show only thank goodness)
- Proposed Haunted Mansion overlay to Port Orleans Riverside
- Closing Pleasure Island
- More DVC - Bay LAke Tower, Kidani Village, Saratoga Springs Tree Houses
- New horrid Animation theme to what was the Legendary Years of Pop Century (I hate Pop and the All Stars Anyway - tacky rubbish Disney would not have built in Walt's day).

DLP
- Closing of the shows
- The celebrations on the hub (all toon based) with a toon train
- Buzz
- Capt Eo  :thumbs:

WDSP
- Stitch Live
- Crush Coaster
- Cars
- Toy Story Playland
- ToT (approved during Eisner's reign)

Resort
- Mickey and Friends in Buffalo Bills
- best themed shop gives way to Starbucks
- Most of the good table service converted to buffets (same consultant who started ruining WDW dining and the cruise industry)
- Earl of Sandwich
- World of Disney Store

Tokyo DL
- Monsters Inc Hide and Seek
- Philharmagic
- Johnny Depp in PotC

TDS
- Turtle Talk
- Toystory Midway Mania
- Sinbad turned into a musical with a cutesy tiger
- Fantasmic
- Duffy Bear

HKDL
- Toons in IASW
- Grizzly Gultch  :thumbs:
- Mystic Point with Mystic Manor and the Explorer's Club  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :D/  =D>  :mrgreen:
- Toy Story Playland  :evil:  :P  :?  :cry:

Other projects:
Aulani in Ko Olina Hawaii - looks cool
Shanghai - no real details yet (look after Oct 4, 2010)
Rumours of Marvel Park in Paris

I think we can see a trend, and it is a worrisome one. Hence perhaps my passionate slating of TSPL. Look at it in the whole. When DL opened in 1955, there were very few characters at all, and as a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's, they were a very small part of the Disney experience. Now people focus on them and I think it is killing the parks.

Which is more unique - a barbershop quartet or a spotty teenager dressed up as Mickey Mouse?

never2old

Quote from: "dagobert"Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think that people will more likely stay in the Santa Fe, because it gets a Cars theme. I think it is important to improve the quality and then people will come and spend money.

Exactly!! Spend more money in improving the quality of the hotel and services, instead of changing (ruining) the theme!!

The original theme was beautiful...  :(

I could have done with discreet changes to the rooms, like in the wallpaper...  The bedsheets, a bit too much. But replacing Clint Eastwood... That's unforgivable.

davewasbaloo

Plus the other thing that was cool about having Clint was it was a nod to Europe too, as most of the films he was famous for as a cowboy were filmed in Spain.