Disney's Hotel Santa Fe refurbishment — New "Cars" touches

Started by Kristof, July 30, 2010, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissTinkerbell

I like the new border too :thumbs:  

Maybe they're starting with the smaller things that don't take that long to do. Easy for housekeeping to change bedspreads, and pics don't take long either...

But break out the pain buckets and rollers asap!  [-o<

I like the general color of the hotel, it's noce and "warm", but I never understood the buildings way to the right when you enter that are black and so on... And they could lose the volcano or whatever that thing is...
Faith, trust and Pixie dust

Disneyland Paris]

Timbo

I think this hotel has always suffered because of its odd design elements , I bet most guests don't realise the banner over the entrance is meant to be a drive in movie screen , with the car park where people would drive in to watch it ! It is the odd bits of design like this that have made it unappealing .I would rather see a beautifully landscaped stream running in the grounds than the guttering effect on the building in the trail of water ! All the other hotels themes are easily understood , but I was so disappointed when I first saw the Santa Fe as it has hardly any relevance to the area it represents in the USA. But I don't think the Cars theming is the way to go , it seems like a real dumbing down , as everyone says a quick fix , they should stick to the basics of quality rather than changing a bedspread and a few pictures !! Just too many  toons around , the other hotels are great without it so why this one ?

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"That wallpaper border in the shop, is that new?
I didn't think it was either, but yes:

Very dull pictures in those frames, so lazy. Why don't they take a look through the "Art of Cars" book? There's SO much great artwork in there from the production of the film that would be so much richer and more evocative (and more artistic, and less obviously tied to the film) than these publicity art printouts. The Comic Sans on the arcade notice sums it up. I'm no font snob, but Disney should never use Comic Sans.

This is looking like a case of "where can we stick Cars stuff next" rather than some definite, designed re-theming.

RockNRoller

Quote from: "pussinboots"That wallpaper border in the shop, is that new? I will admit I actually like that... Doesn't exactly make up for all the neglect and the unimaginative framed art, though.

I like that border too, it looks too pristine to have been there a while and look closely not a Pixar in sight, Thats the theme the Santa Fe should be having all round, that and a coat of paint
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

Aveen2008

Quote from: "Timbo"I think this hotel has always suffered because of its odd design elements , I bet most guests don't realise the banner over the entrance is meant to be a drive in movie screen , with the car park where people would drive in to watch it !?

Nope I have stayed there 4 times and never realised that at all.

I am not keen on the cars theme at all really, its not one of my fav movies either but probably the most fittng with the original Santa Fe theme (if they had to link a movie to it). Very pointless putting money into all these things and letting the standards of the hotel itself go down the shoot! :roll:  :roll:  That paintwork outside is completely awful, not something you expect from a reputable company that is meant to be top quality like Disney.
Luv Aveen xoxo

Magic M

Are you guys not missing th point that that this is MEANT to look like a Mexican Pueblo made of adobe buildings in the middle of the desert?

No one would suggest polishing the pick-up truck because it looks a bit rusty...

RockNRoller

Quote from: "Magic M"Are you guys not missing th point that that this is MEANT to look like a Mexican Pueblo made of adobe buildings in the middle of the desert?

No one would suggest polishing the pick-up truck because it looks a bit rusty...

Point taken, however it hasnt always looked like this, if it was meant to look rundown because of wind and desert heat fine, they could have done that in the first place but they didnt. This is still a decent hotel and you dont expect to find peeling paint.

penfold12

Quote from: "Magic M"Are you guys not missing th point that that this is MEANT to look like a Mexican Pueblo made of adobe buildings in the middle of the desert?

Er.... Not quite true. It's a stylised version of that. Hence the guttering "river" etc etc. Also the clinical edges and general lack of any real theming. If they we going to use your reasoning, then the thumbing would need to be more literal in the Vein of areas in frontier land.

That upkeep is nothing more than poor show! Awful and not what you should accept from Disney

Timbo

The problem is that it looks nothing like the New Mexican Pueblo buildings it is meant to represent , if it had originally been designed to look just like a Pueblo village it would have worked ! However it looks like an orange  concrete housing estate , with some strange additions to link it to the Southwest USA . Even real Pueblo buildings don't look as neglected !!

Martyn

Them pics look so cheap and tacky! Oh Disney what are you doing!

bigrossco

Quote from: "Martyn"Them pics look so cheap and tacky! Oh Disney what are you doing!

agree I stayed at Santa Fé about 3 years ago and liked it how it was perhaps could of done with some tuch ups but think its all ruined now by "cars"
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

RockNRoller

Unless of course theyre going to rename it Hotel Radiator Springs

Scissorsboi

On our last visit to the Resort 2 weeks ago we took a walk around all the hotels one evening, the general feeling of Santa Fe from the people in our group who hadn't been before was that it felt like 'the ghetto of Disneyland', as if you had fantastic themes in the other hotels and when you get to Santa Fe it's like a run down Center Parcs lodgement. I actually agreed with them, the whole place feels very un-Disney, so with Cars going in I'm hoping that there'll be some sprucing up outside, and maybe making the theme a little more coherant (even if that means putting in some duplicate statues where the more vauge UFO/Volcano currently are) and giving it a good lick of paint.

I like the Hotel, however it is one I would definately never stay in unless every other hotel (and the non-Disney ones) were totally booked up. There's something which feels dirty about it, and I don't enjoy my stay there. It's definately not distance from parks, I love Cheyenne with a passion and would stay there like a shot, I think it just feels to me as if Santa Fe was never finished properly in the first place.

It's not Disney, and maybe Cars will give it some investment to make it a bit more Disney.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

SwipatronSparks

hm... i think the re themeing, may work to draw in new guests... previously i would never have chosen to stay there, its not a hotel that has ever been appealing to me... but now that that god awful picture of clint eastwood (is that who it was... i never knew :oops: ) is gone and it looks a little more like a disney hotel... it does look slightly more appealing... maybe if it wasnt as far away from the parks... i might have given it a chance... but it would take alot of convinving to get me to go any lower than the SL
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

Timbo

Quote from: "SwipatronSparks"hm... i think the re themeing, may work to draw in new guests... previously i would never have chosen to stay there, its not a hotel that has ever been appealing to me... but now that that god awful picture of clint eastwood (is that who it was... i never knew :oops: ) is gone and it looks a little more like a disney hotel... it does look slightly more appealing... maybe if it wasnt as far away from the parks... i might have given it a chance... but it would take alot of convinving to get me to go any lower than the SL
The "Clint Eastwood " movie screen was originally left blank , and guests were supposed to let their imagination envisage the image on the screen .......!!!  as we know that idea didn't last very long. Just another example of the bizarre theming  in this hotel by the architect ,as said it is the only hotel where the design doesn't work , all the others you "get " instantly !