[DL] Must-see! Living Character Meet + Greet (Mickey talks!)

Started by alka1, May 05, 2010, 10:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alka1

Disneyland is currently testing a new type of meet-and-greet, featuring Mickey Mouse as a living character that can interact with guests. See for yourself! It's really cool  :D

[youtube:x6d223p4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6k2xdtU8Wc[/youtube:x6d223p4]

[youtube:x6d223p4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyHIdr1aM7s[/youtube:x6d223p4]

Kristof

I saw it a few minutes ago, that's amazing!!  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Aveen2008

That is brilliant!!  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  love it!! how magical being able to interact with Mickey! :thumbs:
Luv Aveen xoxo

CafeFantasia

Great that this has been caught on video, as evidence. Imagine the kids telling their friends that they actually talked with Mickey Mouse? They wouldn't believe it.

- So we were at Disneyland and we talked with Mickey.
- Um, no, Mickey Mouse never says anything at Disneyland.
- Yes he does, we had a conversation with him!
- Um, are you feeling ok?

:-)

norhel

SO COOL!!!! :-D :-D :-D

I think it's gonna be a big success if Disney get this to all of the theme parks.
Must be a lot of job behind the work to get Mickey talk as shown on the video.
And also with the eye that winks and mouth that moves.
Anyone knows how they do it?
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Willow

I've spoilered the some of my opinions on this so not to ruin the magic.  :D

[spoiler:2ex8b22d]It doesn't look the same as the puppet heads which are used in the old Lion King show and the WDW Dream along with Mickey show. I believe the old system used strings.
The mouth movement looks more mechanical and mickeys hands aren't twitching so it seems to be a totally new system.

If the system was more electronic without the need for the characters to operate the eyes and mouth themselves this is huge, it could finally mean that we will see talking heads in parades.[/spoiler:2ex8b22d]

The is huge for Disney in terms of character experience. If the tests are successful we vould have all characters like this in a few years.

_Natalie_x

WOW this is fantastic i love it !! :D

also alot more challenging for the CMs who are costume characters to talk rather than just act :D I think its fantastic and would be nice to see this with alot more characters in all the parks within a few years !!

Only one thing I must say .. isit just me or has Mickey grown abit ! :P  smaller CMs needed ! :lol:
We made a wish.. and believed and believed and VOILA![/color]
Here we are... <3[/b]

mattboywonder

OMG - that is AMAZING.  I would love that SOOOOO much.  It is totally natural as well.  I am going to Anaheim next month and really really would love that.
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

luke85

Wow! I was blown away watching this! I would love to see characters like this in DLP eventually, even though I'm still very fond of the original silent characters :D

toritinker

Wow!! I atually had a huge smile on my face watching that clip, thank you for sharing!
If only it would be in August...a girl can dream hehe!
x
Sante Fe - December 2008
Radisson Blu Disneyland Paris - August 2010

ICHAPMAN

Quote from: "luke85"Wow! I was blown away watching this! I would love to see characters like this in DLP eventually, even though I'm still very fond of the original silent characters :D

At DLP we then enter into the murky discussion of language.   If this was at DLP, would it speak exclusively French, or English (which may provide broader appeal to majority of visitors).   Depending on how the tech works, maybe this more than one language is possible, although is it acceptable in the Disney Rulebook for Mickey to be flick between languages as he feels.

Tuvok

Quote from: "ICHAPMAN"
Quote from: "luke85"Wow! I was blown away watching this! I would love to see characters like this in DLP eventually, even though I'm still very fond of the original silent characters :D

At DLP we then enter into the murky discussion of language.   If this was at DLP, would it speak exclusively French, or English (which may provide broader appeal to majority of visitors).   Depending on how the tech works, maybe this more than one language is possible, although is it acceptable in the Disney Rulebook for Mickey to be flick between languages as he feels.

I was thinking the exact same thing. How are they going to do this in our international resort? A seperate French and English set would be most likely. Second, I looks like this technology requires the meet & greet to be inside a confined room, or is this also possible in 'the open air'. A lot of meet & greets spots in our resort are outside.

Anyway, this is a huge step forward and nothing short of Pure Magic! LOVE IT!
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

Willow

A lot of discussion on the American websites are discussing it being done by two characters friends (one on-stage and one off-stage). I disagree I think it is purely done by Mickey himself.

If the technology works as a I think it does:

[spoiler:2tulei7s]With the characters friend talking through a voice changer before the computer then working out the mouth movements.[/spoiler:2tulei7s]

I cannot see why not Mickey couldn't both speak in English and French. Mickey could just act like any other face character and talk in a mixture of languages.

15MagicalYears

A voice changer?
Of such high quality to have an output of the likes of Mickey Mouse? Thats very unlikely. I have to agree that I believe it's done with two performers. One on stage and one off.

dlrpkris

I must admit I too think it's an elaborate voicechanger. They use them for the characters anyway so as long as it's a good impression, I'm sure it wouldn't sound too different. After all, Stitch Live is done in that same way right?

I'm sure the the voice and face movements are controlled together - in a similar way to how the actor uses hand movements to control the face already anyway. As for the character, there's a lot of generic moving around that you could get away with.

It's a stunning effort!
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!