Captain EO returns to Discoveryland - now closed

Started by The Butlin Boy, April 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLP-Photos.com

Well, I would have no problem with it staying for a bit longer. At least I would prefer this to Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor for instance.

When we were there a week ago the floor was not bouncing and Hooters sneeze was not working to perfection, but that actually didn't bother me; the story and music is enough to make this attraction go all the way to a true Disney fans heart. Great attraction, although it is dated a bit :)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Soap

I just loved it, really, realy great old skool MJ and Disney Magic!
Way more magical then HISTA, good thet replaced that.

Now let DLRP invest in something as timeless as EO to replace it.
And please not another PIXAR add to Discoverland....
I would like that, but in WDS where it belongs imho.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CafeFantasia

I think if a magical, sci-fi, 3D film is going to replace Captain EO, it either has to be something based on WALL-E or TRON: Legacy.

Soap

Then rather TRON, it's something not pixar/character based.
Discoveryland should stay as much "Jules" and Space like as possible....imho
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

dagobert

Do we know how long Captain EO is going to stay in Paris? We are planning a trip for September or October and it would be great to experience the attraction.

Quote from: "Soap"Then rather TRON, it's something not pixar/character based.
Discoveryland should stay as much "Jules" and Space like as possible....imho

Totally agree with you that Discoveryland should stay Pixar free as much as possible, but I'm sure that Captain EO will be replaced with an already existing attraction. I can imagine that we will see Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor from WDW. It's a cheap attraction and I think John Lasseter being heavily involved at WDI wants to see an attraction based on a Pixar movie.

I'm not very familiar withh Tokyo DisneySea, but there is a land dedicated to Jules Verne called Mysterious Island. There are attractions that would fit Discoveryland, but both of them are E-Tickets and I doubt one of them will get built.

There is another land that can be compared to Discoveryland. It's called Port Discovery and it features a simulator named Storm Rider, but since there is already Start Tours, which will hopefully be upgraded to ST " in the near future, I doubt that this ride is a possible choice.

Are there any other 3D attractions in the Disney parks, because I'm not sure if the management wants to destroy the infrastructure of the building.

Getyogrooveon

We had the bouncing floor when we went 29.11.10 - 03.12.10, and it is far more in time with the music than it's equivalent in WDW Epcot, which seemed to bounce purely at random!

Long live Captain Eo - HISTA seems dated compared with this (even though it pre-dates HISTA), and the Captain Eo theme fits so much beeter in Discoveryland than HISTA. If they are going to replace it (and they will need to eventually - Eo probalbly only appeals to the nostalgia crew [me included]) they need to look at another area/ park and bring over either Muppet Vision 3D (preferably) or It's A Bugs Life - I know neither would fit in to the area, but both are wonderful, especially Muppets.

Don't what could go in it's place out of the currect stock, seems likely that Pixar would win the day (Buzz Lightyear) or at the outside Tron - we will have to see how that does, whatever happens please never think of bringing over Stitch The Encounter, quite possibly the worst "experience" I have ever been on (still waiting 6 months later for it to start).
"Eveything is automatic - this is Disney" [CM on the rollercoaster simulator in the Studios - Nov 2004]

05.92 Newport Bay
09.01 Santa Fe
11.03 Cheyenne
11.05 Sequoia Lodge
11.06 Cheyenne
11.07 Cheyenne
12.08 Cheyenne
08.10 Saratoga Springs - Walt Disney World
11.10 Cheyenne

Soap

Quote from: "Getyogrooveon"Don't what could go in it's place out of the currect stock, seems likely that Pixar would win the day (Buzz Lightyear) or at the outside Tron - we will have to see how that does, whatever happens please never think of bringing over Stitch The Encounter, quite possibly the worst "experience" I have ever been on (still waiting 6 months later for it to start).

Pfff...indeed NO STITCH!!, what a crapy thing is that  :evil:
In WDW we all thought this the worst attraction every.....

Anthony

We might need to be worried about the impending Monsters Inc sequel/prequel, which might make Laugh Floor a popular option for any completely clueless management, but right now I'm hoping Captain EO won't be replaced until WDI have worked out something which would work at every location worldwide - including Epcot and Tokyo (both at resorts with Monsters attractions). They need to replace it with something that has longevity, not another stop-gap.

WALL-E gets my vote. I know, I'm sorry, it's Pixar, but actually next to the droids of Star Tours it couldn't be more at home. Discoveryland doesn't have to be entirely about Verne and that period of future history - just as Adventureland has an African, Caribbean, Middle Eastern sections, Discoveryland could have that variety too. The challenge is choosing the right themes and blending them together well. Star Tours just about does it, Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast really does not (partly because it's in the wrong "district", mostly because it's horrendously garish in its design).

You could get lots of fun 4D effects out of the WALL-E characters, more than anything you'd get out of TRON (which I'd say would be perfect for Backlot instead). Although maybe we should also ask whether 3D/4D cinemas are still the kind of attractions Disney parks should be operating, now you can see similar in your local multiplex. Maybe if they include animatronics or substantial effects. Again, WALL-E wins there for me. So many possibilities.

dagobert

I would also prefere Wall-E over Monsters Inc. and I really hope that the Laugh Floor will not come. We have experienced the Laugh Floor and it's a horrible and bad attraction.

If Disney would have used the same color scheme like Orbitron and SM and didn't place Buzz on top, I think the uilding would match much better the Discoveryland, although the attraction itself doesn't.

Maybe Disney should consider a name change of the land when another Pixar based attraction will invade Discoveryland. Maybe Tomorrowland or Pixarland or Pixar-Meets-Jules-Verne-Land. Just joking!!!!!

Adam

Does a replacement have to be a show? As it is a nice big space which doesn't need to be built, perhaps a new ride instead - it would definately reduce costs.

Martyn

Now I dont know if this is because I never saw this originally, but I thought Captain EO was crap.

There was a couple of good bits at the begninning, but after that it was just a bouncing floor, and I got quite bored.

CafeFantasia

The floor didn't bounce in the original Captain EO. It's an effect that they added in 2010 because all of the HISTA theatres already had a motion base floor. I think it was used very effectively and sensibly in HISTA, but it's just ridiculous in Captain EO. It really detracts from the experience and just seems very unnatural and distracting.

I can understand kids of today not "getting" Captain EO. For a lot of us, the appeal of seeing it again is nostalgia; of getting that feeling of being back in the '80s again, just for 17 minutes :-)

15MagicalYears

I really enjoyed seeing this, it was a welcomed return but I don't think it should stay too long.
I'm hoping it's replaced by the 20th anniversary.

Martyn

^ Thankfully is only here until June.