Started by lil-shawn, December 16, 2009, 08:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "dagobert"December is a very sad month for the Disney Family:

Walt Disney died on December 15,
Roy O. Disney died on December 20,
Lillian Disney died on December 16 and now
Roy E. Disney died on December 16.

OMG that never registered before that they all died on dates close to each other. Bit spooky.

Alpop

Rest in Peace.

I'm sure Roy will be deeply missed. He has stood strong for the values that Walt would have wanted.

Anthony

Really shocked to see this earlier. But with the release of The Princess and the Frog just last Friday it's rather like "you're on your own now, folks". He's saved them twice now. So incredibly sad, but what a time to bow out.

I don't know how much he was personally involved with DLP, but he surely had a huge impact on how it turned out. They started thinking about another resort after Tokyo opened in 1983. The next year, he resigns from the board and the whole company is turned upside down. Eisner and Wells arrive thanks to Roy and take the European project as their own, for Eisner in particular it was the big showpiece to prove he and the new company could do quality the way Walt did -- and then some.

If it weren't for Roy shaking things up at that pivotal moment we'd probably still have a Disneyland Paris, probably even one with no burden of debt, but it wouldn't be the one we love. A carbon copy of Tokyo. No Chateau. No Phantom Manor. No hotel at the entrance. No inspiration for us all to dream big and stand up for quality.

I hope he gets some kind of commemoration within the parks in the future.

pussinboots

He was one of the few people post-Walt you'd actually entrust with the company (and, not unimportantly, physically a dead ringer for Walt.) He's leaving a gaping hole in the quality police, that's for sure, and that's a loss to us all.

Magic M

Roy will live on at the Art of Disney Animation.

R.I.P. R.E.D.

Willow

Just got home and heard this awful news.

Without Roy I wouldn't be a Disney fan, he was involved in some of the best things to come out of the company.

RIP.  :cry:

MizzRabbit

I'm so so sad now and sorry for his poor family. And for him. Had no idea he was sick. This is sad news indeed. RIP Roy. We'll all miss you!

My Disneypics gallery]http://public.fotki.com/MizzRabbit/[/url]
Use password]

dagobert

Do you know if Roy had already received a window on DLRP's Main Street? If not I think it would be great to honor him this way.

Who will save the company next time, when Iger srews up?

Magic M

//http://www.hiddendlrp.com/?p=532

A little tribute to Roy's seafaring career...

Aveen2008

:(  Oh no, I am so sad to hear that! I didn't actually know what age he was nor have seen a picture of him before, he is so like Roy and Walt! It's awful to see the direct decendants of Walt pass away, the people who knew him and could keep his legacy truely alive.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

God Bless Roy E. Disney  :)
Luv Aveen xoxo

CentralPlazaPerson

Very sad news :( I remember on the grand opening of DLRP, Roy was interviewed and you would swear that they were interviewing Walt, they are so much a like.
This is a sad time for his family, friends and worldwide Disney fans!
RIP Roy E. Disney  [-o<

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"Who will save the company next time, when Iger srews up?
Maybe John Lasseter will defect from the company... Who else is there? Iger seems good to me anyway.

I don't want to ask this too soon, but I wonder what will happen at Art of Disney Animation? Roy obviously introduces the whole thing talking about his uncle in a kind of present tense. It's going to be quite sad to see that knowing he's no longer around.

Riebi

That´s really sad! One of the best CMs!
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...