Where is The Little Mermaid set?

Started by luke85, February 06, 2010, 03:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke85

As Tiana from the Princess and the Frog is the first American Disney princess, I was going through the princesses and thinking about their nationalities. Where is Ariel from? Obviously under the sea, but which sea? I had thought maybe the Caribbean, but I only really guessed that because of Sebastian! There seems to be no reference to where Eric's kingdom is, unless I've missed something all these years!

Snow White - German
Cinderella - French
Aurora - French
Ariel - ?
Belle - French
Jasmine - Middle Eastern
Pocahontas - Native American
Mulan - Chinese
Tiana - American

dagobert

I thought Aurora is German?

luke85

Yeah I wasn't sure about Aurora to be honest, I was just going on the nationality of Charles Perrault, whose novel the film is based on.

Aveen2008

Somewhere In the atlantic ocean - hence kingdom being called atlantica?
Luv Aveen xoxo

Columbiad

I always thought of The Sleeping Beauty being more English, consdiering the medieval setting, and Cinderells being Austrian, purely on the architechure and costume.

Aveen2008

To be honest it's not something I ever took much notice of unless it was a noticably different cultural thing like mulan. I would almost forget Beauty and the Beast was set in France. For Aurora, cinders and snow white i never thought of them as being anything other than american/english.
Luv Aveen xoxo

Pete's Dragon

Well  poet and author Hans Christian Andersen was Danish, so I always assumed Ariel was from around there too.

luke85

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Well  poet and author Hans Christian Andersen was Danish, so I always assumed Ariel was from around there too.
I had thought that too, but I don't think the scenery in the film is Denmark. I suppose not knowing exactly where it's set adds to the mystery of the film?!

Anthony

The film is set somewhere vaguely Mediterranean. You can see it in Prince Eric's castle and confirmed by where they were going to put the dark ride in DLP's Fantasyland (opposite Pizzeria Bella Notte). Probably not the same as Hans Christian Andersen imagined, but the setting would be the least of his complaints.  :wink:

TowMater

I got told by a cast member at one of my visits to WDW that Ariel is a fitonal lanaguage called 'Atlatain'.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

ToadWithPinkEyes

That lanuage is refered to in CS Lewis' The Magician's Newphew. I think Ariel is of her own species nationality. I.E: She's not human!

pussinboots

I think it simply isn't set anywhere specifically. Which gave them the freedom to keep Eric Danish-ish with that name of his, add various tropical fish and put in a Mediterranean-looking castle simply because it works better in the story. "A mermaid who has been stuck in the cold water all her life would be attracted to a warm-looking castle like that," I believe the quote was.

So it's set in Fantasyland.

Oh, and to whomever said Sleeping Beauty must be set in England because it looked so medieval; I think it's worth noting that the Middle Ages occurred in other places too.

TheDuck

After reading this post I watched the movie a couple times and can't come up with a concrete answer to this question.   I agree with pussnboots, they didn't specifically designate a location which gave them more freedom in telling the story.  But I am sure there is some back story to it somewhere that might get told on a Blu-Ray or Dvd bonus feature that will be release in the future.
Disney World addict since high school:  SPRING BREAK 1995!