Workplacements at disney

Started by Gareth, September 28, 2009, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

hey all im soooo sorry if this is in the wrong place but i could not find anywhere to put and its about disney :D

so basicly i am doing a hospitality degree down here in cornwall and i have to do a workplacemnt and i can do it in a block over the summer and i was wondering can you do these at disneyland in one of there hotel is what i really need

i will go and speak to them in december when im over there but i was wondering if anyone here has any idea if they do this or not

thanks any help will be such a big help :D

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

Pete's Dragon

I don't know about DLP, but by placement advisior at university won't stop going on about WDW in Florida as a placement option !!!

I think she is the devil incarnate, and has been set to test me.  :twisted:

Cendrillon

No idea about Paris, but obviously there's the College Programme in WDW.
I'm so up for that when I'm old enough :]

stepintothepink

I did the WDW summer program in 2008 and I'd definitely recommend it!

You get to choose which roles you'd like (merchandise, custodial, food and beverage etc) at interview, and then they'll offer you one of these. If you accept, you then get assigned your store or location once you arrive in Florida.

Housing is similar to living on a University campus, and they provide buses to and from all the parks and resorts, as well as to the local Walmart and mall. You'll probably work 5 days a week, but you'll have so much spare time to visit the parks (with free entry of course!)

Check out http://www.disneyinternationalprograms.com/ and http://www.yummyjobs.com/ (Yummy Jobs are the company based in the UK you apply through). http://wdwip.com/ is a great site for more info too!

Gareth

hey step into the pink i have a couple more question (or any one that can help) if you dont mind

do i apply via yummy jobs or do i need anything from disney or my uni
and what is the porcess like into getting your place at disney

thanks for all the answes so far :D

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

stepintothepink

You'll need to apply via Yummy Jobs. By the sounds of what you want (a summer work placement) the ICP summer program would be best - http://www.yummyjobs.com/opportunities/ ... mmer-2010/

but that said, if you've any questions, just email YJ and they'll help you decide what would be your best option.

I applied shortly before the closing date in October 2007 (although there's no date on the website this year). You send off a CV and covering letter - let them know why you want the job and what you could bring culturally to Disney. I then got offered a phone interview where they ask questions like why do you want the job? how would you cope with the heat? how will you find living with people from other nationalities etc?

A couple of weeks later I had an email inviting me to a face to face interview a few weeks letter. This bit is really fun! They have a few over the country where people from Yummy Jobs and a couple of people from Disney recruiting come over. You fill in some forms, including rating each role you'd live in preference (I chose merchandise and got this which I was really happy with!) You then watch a presentation all about it - it's typical Disney and in the style of the park promo videos from the hotels. After this they told everyone what time their formal interview would be, and we had these with 1 or 2 other people. It wasn't really a formal interview, more like a chat about what you could bring to the job, what you like about Disney. I was the only one in my group who'd never been to WDW but when I said I'd been to DLP he was quite excited about that!

A couple of weeks after that I got an email offering me a position in merchandise on my chosen start date (they usually have a choice of 2 or 3 a year) so of course I accepted! I was there from the end of May to the beginning of August so plenty of time to explore the ins and outs of the parks. And of course there's all the magical secrets you'll learn!

If you have any more questions, do let me know. Sorry this post was so long!!

Magic M

Fact for you.  The only job available for a British worker is at the Great Britain section of the Epcot Centre.  Apparently some American legislation says that American workers must be given priority for any job at Walt Disney World - unless it is a job that "no American can perform".

In theory no American can also be British so all the Brit CM's get put in the Rose and Crown pub!

loladelorean

Quote from: "Magic M"Fact for you.  The only job available for a British worker is at the Great Britain section of the Epcot Centre.  Apparently some American legislation says that American workers must be given priority for any job at Walt Disney World - unless it is a job that "no American can perform".

In theory no American can also be British so all the Brit CM's get put in the Rose and Crown pub!

Is this only for fulltime jobs? because obviously a lot of British people go over to WDW and do summer jobs, my cousin did it and the poster above did it.
Seems a bit of a strange rule, but America has bad unemployment just now as well so I guess they're doing what they can to combat that.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

stepintothepink

You can go over on the summer placement as long as you're a student, because you have a different kind of visa. The J-1 visa covers you to work for a maximum of 90 days, and you need to have your offer of employment before you apply for your visa, as Disney will sponsor it. It also means they can place you anywhere within the resort, not just at Epcot.

The Epcot program works on a different visa, meaning you don't need to be a student to apply, but you can only work at your country's pavillion.

Quark

There's indeed two programs, the College Program (which requires you to be studying something hospitality-related at uni) - that has a J-1 visa and you can indeed be placed everywhere. I think it was suspended for quite some time after 9/11, but it has ramped up again lately.

And then there's the "International Program", which gives you a Q-1 visa. With that, you're only allowed to work at your pavilion - plus, it probably isn't very compatible with your uni course-wise. From what I understand, the College Program actually gives you some course credits etc.

One of the problems with both is that they are quite long-term (with the International Program being for an entire year), but looking at what stepintothepink says, the International Program is a bit shorter - still, my uni would have never given me enough time, especially considering that I studied computing :)

Disneyland Paris is far less structured - their summer jobs are usually for three months or so, but they can be as short as one month (which is what I did) or much longer, depending on their needs. Good French is an absolute must, mine was borderline and really made life difficult - if it's too bad, you won't get past the interview stage.

Both have their merits - the plus-side of Disneyland Paris is that you get to learn French, and that there's no problem with taking the money back home, or any kind of visa shenanigans. At WDW, you're far more dependent on Disney (and I have seen plenty of people getting sent home over next to nothing), but the whole operation is organized better than in France...

Cendrillon

I've just sent off my application for the summer 2011 ICP at WDW, I'm so excited! Also extremely nervous though!

SwipatronSparks

Quote from: "Gareth"i have to do a workplacemnt and i can do it in a block over the summer and i was wondering can you do these at disneyland

OMG THANKYOU!!! seriously thankyou i was wanting to know the exact same thing for the exact same reason, im studying the foundation degree in travel and tourism (im sure hospitality is involved in the name somewhere lol) and also have to do a 5 week placement in the summer!! i would love to do mine at DLRP as well!! may just have to look into this because well... its WDW i have never been and if i was gonna get to go there to work there it might just break me away from shying away from it because of the shere size of the place lol!! i want to do the walt disney world one... shall have to get some printouts of the website page and show them to my lecturer and see if he agrees that i could do it and have it count as my placment!!!
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

SwipatronSparks

well.... i have spoken to my lecturer today and im going to put in my application for the WDW one tomorrow... *eeek*
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019

upcoming trips....

stepintothepink

Good luck with your applications! I can guarantee you'll love it - and free entry to Disney parks!! Let us know how you get on :)

SwipatronSparks

t i didnt put a cover letter on... i just filled out the application... it didnt ask for a cover letter just a copy of my CV... =/ i got an email pretty much as soon as i sent it off... and it said i will hear from them in 4 - 6 weeks so heres to hopeing they call me with good news...

@stepintothepink... i m guessing you have been on the programme because of your previous posts... how does it go once you get there, like... do they give you a few days just to explore the parks and things to get yourself orientated... basically i am asking if they just pretty much throw you in at the deep end or do they help you get settled in (still not sure if thats how i needed to word what i want to know... but hopefully you will get what i mean)

upcoming trips....