Disney to buy Marvel!

Started by Kristof, August 31, 2009, 03:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I think it is a great purchase and will work well for all involved. I am not surprised, as Disney were already working with Stan Lee, formerly of Marvel, on several comic book projects and Stan is happy with the deal too.

It will be interesting to see how new Spiderman, X-Men and other movies will be made. Disney will be making money out of their own competitors!

experiment627

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Forget films.  

Yes, lets! The money to be made can be found in retail (well, they would have to develop several properties further with films and tv-shows, too, to do so).
And strange no one mentioned this before: video games... Imagine an online role playing game similar to WoW based on "X-Men", for example... There's a whole lot of money to be made with this deal.

Theme parks could be interesting... I am not so sure about the popularity of Marvel characters outside of the US, but then again, Disney didn't shy away of putting the Twilight Zone brand on Paris' Tower of Terror... and who actually knows the Twilight Zone in Europe?

Timbo

I too hope we won't see Main Street or the Studios invaded by "Marvel Men" ;although they are are good brand ,as everyone says they are completely different to Disney !
I just don't want to see them in the Parks , I'll go to Universal for that experience.It is a very interesting purchase by them though,did they feel they did not have enough material to work with ,with the huge Disney and Pixar catalogue ! Would rather they had bought The Lord of the Rings, as that is more in keeping !
Disney are probally thinking they can turn Discoveryland into Marvel Town and rejigg all the rides to fit in  :roll: That is when I will chain myself to Orbitron in protest !

CafeFantasia

The first thing that comes to my mind, how about Disney combine the Soarin' ride system with an Iron Man film, for the Walt Disney Studios park. How cool would that be? You'd start off at Stark Industries and end up joining Tony himself on a spontaneous night mission! I can just imagine flying over the Californian coastline at night, with Iron Man himself whooshing around just beneath your feet and blowing things up!

roaldbergmann

FANTASTIC NEWS!

This is just what Disney needs. And as everyone knows, Disney has had good luck with bying up other (and very different) companies that at first glance doesn't seem very Disneyish:

- ESPN
- ABC
- Touchstone
- Miramax
- Dimension
- Power Rangers
- The Muppets
- The Bear in the Blue House
- SOAP
- Jetix
- Lifetime
- Blackrock Studio
- Stage 9
- Propaganda Games
- Club Penguin
- KerPoof
- Go.com
 ... and many more (check out the entire list of everything that Disney owns on my unofficial dansish Disney-site: http://disneyonline.dk/news/?id=39)

And who's to define what "magic" is? For me, a Spider-Man movie can be just as magical as Pirates or Narnia. We just need a couple of years to get used to watching Marvel movies with the Disney logo up front.

littlemermaid83

Give me Peter Pan over Wolvering anyday thanks.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

npg

Whilst good in a business sense, I really hope we wont see Marvel characters arrive in any of the Dineyland Parks, IMO it would ruin the experience

Gareth

i dont think disney will be putting spider man and all into there main parks but i think the stuidos will get somthing as long as its not to over the top and i think it could be a good move to get some better sets anf props in the tram tour i think superhero stuff would fit in perfectly in there

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

experiment627

Quote from: "npg"Whilst good in a business sense, I really hope we wont see Marvel characters arrive in any of the Dineyland Parks, IMO it would ruin the experience

Why is it ok to have characters from Star Wars or Indiana Jones at a Disneyland Park, but not a Marvel character?

phantom247

I can't beleive that people are getting so ete up about this aquisition whoever said that we will have spiderman, hulk or any other Marvel character in Disneyland Park you are living in cloud kookoo land.     This is how I see things play out Retail locations throughout the world within 2-5 years.   Parks walk around Characters within 3-6 years at DHS Florida, Disney Seas if Tokyo disney desired, Walt Disney Studios Paris and DCA.
Theme park attractions within 6-10 years maybe opening spiderman in California and Paris May take much longer to bring to Orlando and Tokyo because of Universal Deal but disney will make sure these attractions or lands will have a slow death as no new updates will be authorised and ultimatly Universal will look towards other properties to fill the gap they could see a new DC area of the park in florida with their recent partnership with Warner Bros and Florida and Tokyo Disney parks could see a Spiderman attraction within 15 years.

Luigi

Quote from: "Gareth"i dont think disney will be putting spider man and all into there main parks but i think the stuidos will get somthing as long as its not to over the top and i think it could be a good move to get some better sets anf props in the tram tour i think superhero stuff would fit in perfectly in there

i agree, the studio park would fit for an attraction like that. Also Aerosmith rollercoaster is not exactly what you have in mind when you think about disney, but it's ok and nobody complains (or i haven't heard any).

Kristof

Article from Interpark Magazine:

QuoteDespite recently announcing plans to acquire Marvel Entertainment for $4bn, The Walt Disney Company is unlikely to use the group's popular range of characters at its Disney World park in Florida, a top executive has suggested.

A pre-existing licensing deal exists between Marvel and Universal Orlando giving Universal exclusive use of some of the comic giant's best-known characters - including Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk and the Fantastic Four - in theme parks east of the Mississippi River.

According to Disney chief financial officer Tom Staggs, the group will focus instead on using Marvel's character portfolio in its other theme parks around the world.

Source

Anthony

:o So great to hear they'll be used in the parks.

Let's all chant together... Backlot! Backlot! Backlot!

Replacement for Armageddon, pleeease!

mehdi5

Do i smell a Marvel-themed land coming to the Walt Disney Studios? :P
Would be awesome though :D

Magic M

Why not have a separate Super Hero City as a third gate?

Marvel Heroes, The Incredibles, Sky High...

It has potential!!