Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Posted this messages last night over at WDSfans.com:

QuoteDisney Central Plaza member "McFly" reports a possible change at Backlot Express Restaurant.

He claims that three themed rooms will take over the current restaurant. The rooms will be based on the popular Disney franchises: Pirates of the Caribbean, The Chronicles of Narnia and High School Musical.

Currently, Backlot Express Restaurant is designed as a props warehouse with thousands of items decorating walls and ceiling.

Thoughts?  :)

ford prefect

Quote from: "Kristof"Posted this messages last night over at WDSfans.com:

QuoteDisney Central Plaza member "McFly" reports a possible change at Backlot Express Restaurant.

He claims that three themed rooms will take over the current restaurant. The rooms will be based on the popular Disney franchises: Pirates of the Caribbean, The Chronicles of Narnia and High School Musical.

Currently, Backlot Express Restaurant is designed as a props warehouse with thousands of items decorating walls and ceiling.

Thoughts?  :)

I am not sure that Narnia could be considered popular enough to warrant its own themed place.  HSM?  Possibly but it strikes me that Disney would want to make better use of the money elsewhere when there is nothing wrong with the current theme.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

swity

I'm not really sure about this idea.
I think the present theme fits really good into that area. And it looks really cool, it's something unique.

But I think the new themes look good as well,but possibly it doesn't fit into that area with RnRRC for example.

Agent Lex

I think, if they do it right, this could work well. Though I doubt they'd have a Narnia room - as ford said, it's not the most popular franchise, plus Disney have ended the contract for it. All the props around the current restaurant look fine, but otherwise it's really just another bland Studios warehouse, so some livening up could do it well!

Kristof

Quote from: "Agent Lex"I think, if they do it right, this could work well. Though I doubt they'd have a Narnia room - as ford said, it's not the most popular franchise, plus Disney have ended the contract for it. All the props around the current restaurant look fine, but otherwise it's really just another bland Studios warehouse, so some livening up could do it well!

Disney still has the rights for the first 2 movies.  And don't forget they have quite a few props from the first movie that's no longer part of the Studio Tram Tour.  :wink:

RnRCj

I love the idea of themed rooms, I'm just not sure about the themes themselves. I think Pirates Of The Caribbean could work, but the other two I'm not so sure about... :? As long as the general "leftover-props" theme is kept, it might be alright.

Can't they redo the exterior as well? [-o< That's two restaurants now that have changed on the inside when it's the outside that needs most work!!

The Butlin Boy

I'm quite interested about this idea, I can really see how this would work too, it could actually work really well. But we'll have to see. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if they kept the current look, or went with this :wink:

Anthony

Quote from: "RnRCj"Can't they redo the exterior as well? [-o< That's two restaurants now that have changed on the inside when it's the outside that needs most work!!
Completely agree there. The building itself is actually ok, one of the more interesting original WDS buildings, but it does need a good paint. And as for the ugly collection of lampposts, the horrible planters and the general car park feel... Why are there (possibly) thoughts of redoing the inside?

I like the idea though. They could theme the old terrace which they covered over (the room to the right as you enter) as the ice palace from Narnia, since it's always absolutely freezing with only crappy heater lamps.

I really hope they'd employ some more checkout CMs though. After 2pm there's usually only one person to pay, and the comment you hear most as people pick up their €20 mickey pizzas is "this is going to be cold by the time we pay..."

Who wants to bet it'll be renamed to Restaurant des Blockbusters?

Edit: Whoa I'm so negative today, but seriously - I wish they'd stop skirting around the issues of WDS and spend this money on say, some more substantial dining in Toon Studio. Even some tiny serving kiosk with a few tables like Café Cafés would be welcome over there.

davewasbaloo

Hmmm, I quite like the decor. But I'm ok with a dec change as long as we do not lose the Star Wars Props. The problem here is the menu and service though, not the decor IMHO.
since 2001 (many before that)

RnRCj

At least it's not being toonified. :lol:

Hopefully some of the most significant existing props will be kept in one central area of the restaurant, and the themed rooms could be off to the sides or something.

I can't comment on the service or the menu. I haven't been in there for years, which is strange seeing as I spend so much time in that area of the park. :P

Anthony

I know part of the fun might be to spot them, but some of the more worthy props could do with being labelled.

Anyway, McFly on DCP has added that the restaurant will be renamed! ...From Backlot Express Restaurant to Restaurant Backlot Express. I assume that's not a joke, since I noticed Agrabah Cafe is now listed as Restaurant Agrabah Cafe on maps.

It's also mentioned that the restaurant would also serve to advertise/tie-in with new and upcoming films. So it sounds like this is Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures group at work... *Gulp*

pussinboots

Remember when you were young and you pretended to help your parents clean by simply shuffling things around? That's what they're doing at the Studios. Despite the fact that the park is now busier than ever, they're doing nothing except shuffle things around. Change a name, add a potted plant, remove it later, replace a billboard, hide the derelict building with an old picture of the building...

I don't really understand it. Nor do I understand why they think this place is what needs a thematic upgrade the most.

Anthony

Going back to what RnRCj said about the exterior...

The grey concrete planters filled with gravel, the "lighting rigs" with posters of forgotten films, the black garden centre lampposts, the faded "Backlot" paint, the corrugated walls with no detail... The other side, with the large windows and the taxi isn't bad, but where would you even begin?

Surprising to hear it won't become Backlot Express... with Mickey and Friends, however.

lil-shawn

i don´t know what to say, for me all they do right now is just half-baked,
my thoughts is that the backlot express don´t need a fast fixed new decoration,
it´s good like it is.

they should spend the money to the outside and try to make it look better!

Anthony

Either guests are getting ever sneakier or work has begun...

The room on the right-hand side of the building, Before:

After:

Photos by Scrooge, Disney Magic Interactive