Disney D23 Magazine & Fan Club

Started by roaldbergmann, January 06, 2009, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Having had a look at the source code for the page also, I did spot "D23" mentioned a few times, which would tie in with Anthony's suggestion on the D-23 event.

Anthony

And the fact this poster has been spotted around the Burbank studio suggests its probably some kind of company initiative, and/or something that they want to leak out to get the fan message boards buzzing... And therefore unlikely to be something like the HSM4 announcement or the second DTV Tinker Bell movie... We hope.

The '23' link is very tenuous though, even if it is a new fanclub kind of thing.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Anthony"And the fact this poster has been spotted around the Burbank studio suggests its probably some kind of company initiative, and/or something that they want to leak out to get the fan message boards buzzing... And therefore unlikely to be something like the HSM4 announcement or the second DTV Tinker Bell movie... We hope.

The '23' link is very tenuous though, even if it is a new fanclub kind of thing.

The Second Tinkerbell DTV isn't expected until Autumn/Winter 09 from the Press Release most of us have read which... So I think it might be a wee bit of over selling the DVD considering it would be a whole 7/8 Months away!

Still a Mystery is better than nothing... We Shall Have To Wait And See... Here's hoping for something Good AND Relevent...Exciting and not pants like HSM4 which again wouldn't feature release until September 09 if Disney are to keep to its promotional and structural ploy with that franchise. There are rumours of Camp Rock2, a Arthurian Live Action Movie... but then again their only rumours and casting is at stage one.

1986... Basil The Great Mouse Detective was released... But then I got a feeling Basil isn't the Mystery... as he solves them (Bad Joke I know)

Pete's Dragon

Still hunting, still nothing. Gonna let this rest until March. Read that there is a rumour it could the release of 23 Disney Blu-Ray films all on the same day. If this is true, I cant see any classics apart from Pinocchio being amongst them. So the other 22 will be made up of quality titles (*cough*) like Pete's Dragon, The Mighty Ducks or the Jodie Foster classic 'Candleshoe'  :?

Or it could be a special club, who knows. The wait continues..................

Anthony

I read the 23 Blu-Rays too, which would be good... but I doubt they've been working hard enough to get that many discs ready without anyone finding out.

But you never know... At the moment, there's absolutely nothing on the horizon in the way of classic animation on Blu-Ray apart from Pinocchio, Monsters Inc and Snow White. Which is... weird, considering how quickly it's being taken up.

Didn't Disney have a similar period for DVDs where they released all the "secondary" films like Hercules, Hunchback, Oliver & Co, Rescuers in quite quick succession?  It could be some special 23-film collector's series. But again - I can't see them preparing them that quickly, at least not with some decent extras and menus. Films like Hercules and Hunchback were so badly treated on DVD. I'd love to see Treasure Planet on Blu-Ray in particular...

Edit:

It's quite a valid rumour actually, since if you cut out the main/platinum films in the classics you get 24 films:

1.   Saludos Amigos
2.   The Three Caballeros
3.   Make Mine Music
4.   Fun and Fancy Free
5.   Melody Time
6.   The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad
7.   The Sword in the Stone
8.   The Aristocats
9.   Robin Hood
10.   The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
11.   The Rescuers
12.   The Fox and the Hound
13.   The Black Cauldron
14.   The Great Mouse Detective
15.   Oliver & Company
16.   The Rescuers Down Under
17.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame
18.   Hercules
19.   The Emporer's New Groove
20.   Atlantis: The Lost Empire
21.   Lilo & Stitch
22.   Treasure Planet
23.   Brother Bear
24.   Home on the Range

Cut out either Lilo & Stitch or something like Make Mine Music to get 23. That'd make an amazing collectors series. But again, it doesn't connect into why they're asking us Are you 23?...

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Anthony"I read the 23 Blu-Rays too, which would be good... but I doubt they've been working hard enough to get that many discs ready without anyone finding out.

But you never know... At the moment, there's absolutely nothing on the horizon in the way of classic animation on Blu-Ray apart from Pinocchio, Monsters Inc and Snow White. Which is... weird, considering how quickly it's being taken up.

Didn't Disney have a similar period for DVDs where they released all the "secondary" films like Hercules, Hunchback, Oliver & Co, Rescuers in quite quick succession?  It could be some special 23-film collector's series. But again - I can't see them preparing them that quickly, at least not with some decent extras and menus. Films like Hercules and Hunchback were so badly treated on DVD. I'd love to see Treasure Planet on Blu-Ray in particular...

Yeah, I remember that a 'classic' would come out with the big advertising push, and there would be other lesser films released a week or so later (then 6months later the buy one get one free would come around). There's a lot of the direct to dvd sequels that could possibly make up some of the 23, plus more recent films. Maybe HSM, that one with the Rock, Freaky Friday remake, the Herbies. I sure they could fin enough films to make up 23.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Yeah, I remember that a 'classic' would come out with the big advertising push, and there would be other lesser films released a week or so later (then 6months later the buy one get one free would come around). There's a lot of the direct to dvd sequels that could possibly make up some of the 23, plus more recent films. Maybe HSM, that one with the Rock, Freaky Friday remake, the Herbies. I sure they could fin enough films to make up 23.

HSM 1 & 2 and Game plan are already on Disney Blu Ray... Likewise so is Chicken Little,The Wild, Meet The Robinsons and Dinosaur

The Idea from Anthony about the 24 movies listed is great,but Disney are or have recently just launched them in the last 2 years or so as Special Editions on DVD

Sword in the Stone - 2008 was teamed up with Robin Hood in a double set and Robin Himself was Re-Released in  2007, likewise The Aristocats was re-released in 2008 also. (Years could be wrong by the way my memory is pretty vague)

Oliver and Company is also listed for re-release this year.

I got a feeling that Disney might not want to upset some of its fans who have rushed out to buy these movies when they were released for "limited time only" as Special Editions in the knowledge that it would be approximately 7 years before it was released again only to see them re-launched all at one time (My Bank balance would not survive) on Disney Blu Ray. I can't say I wouldn't be bet pleased... But then to have them on Blu Ray would be Amazing

Question: Doesn't Disney already have its list for the Re-Releases from the Vault on Platinum editions  for the next 2 years sorted?

2009:
Spring: Pinnochio
Fall: Snow White

2010:
Spring: Fantasia/Fantasia 2000
Fall: Beauty and the Beast

2011:
Spring: ?  
Fall: The Lion King

Pete's Dragon

I'd bet money that Disney will stick to the one-classic-per- six month release schedule they have in place. It's worked so well for them thus far. Although I've always thought that it encourages piracy ( I know I have a disney dvd I shouldn't; but not after March 10th)

If it is gonna be a 23-film batch of BD, it'll be feature films and sequels from yesteryear.

Q: Is Tron on BD yet? Could be a possibility

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"I'd bet money that Disney will stick to the one-classic-per- six month release schedule they have in place. It's worked so well for them thus far. Although I've always thought that it encourages piracy ( I know I have a disney dvd I shouldn't; but not after March 10th)

If it is gonna be a 23-film batch of BD, it'll be feature films and sequels from yesteryear.

Q: Is Tron on BD yet? Could be a possibility

Tron isn't as far as I know... but then I'm not one who knows much...

Anthony

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"I'd bet money that Disney will stick to the one-classic-per- six month release schedule they have in place. It's worked so well for them thus far.
That's only for the more landmark platinums though. Films like Robin Hood, Aristocats aren't part of that 6-month schedule and actually seem to be released and re-released on a bit of a whim whenever they've got a gap in their schedule. If they only stick to this schedule for blu-ray, none of the secondary classics will ever make it to the format. Properly grouping these 23 classics into a Platinum-style series would be really smart. There's no reason to hold them off Blu-Ray just because they've recently done DVD special editions. I do doubt they would release all 23 at once though.

Did you see any of Sony's event at the recent electronics tradeshow? (CES is it?) They played an exclusive trailer from UP and even sent John Lasseter to Las Vegas just to talk about how much Disney loves the format and is so committed to it...

I'm putting my bets at 40% likelihood of the blu-rays and 60% the fan club kinda thing. But knowing Disney, we'll all be wrong.

Pete's Dragon

I like those odd, I'll have £20 on the Blu Ray package  :wink:

Willow

I heard the other day that the Disney AGM is on this date so whatever "Are you 23?" is its likely to be announced at that meeting.

Anthony

"D23" pins are now appearing...

QuoteSome other rumors we have heard about "D23? claim that the club will have an undisclosed annual fee, offer discounts on Disney merchandise, hold an annual convention at one of the domestic Disney Resorts, and offer exclusive "member-only" merchandise through Disney Shopping. We can not confirm any of these rumors at this time, but Disney is scheduled to release all of the details on March 10. Be sure to stay tuned to WDW News Today as we get more information on "D23? and the "Are You 23?" campaign.

http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/archives/2736

It's seeming more like a fan club based around Disney merchandise or something. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the worst possible time they could ever choose to launch something like that. Let's hope it's more fan club, less merchandise.

bigrossco

5 days to go and we will know all lol cant wait

Just so annoying¬!!
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Anthony

Well, I hate to spoil the surprise, but it looks like we've got it. Some spoilerific links:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/02/24 ... -join-d23/

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/03/03 ... -included/

[spoiler:5c3p8xzx]From the Pinocchio DVD/BLuray US booklet:

So some kind of fan community with regular updates and exclusives from Disney it is then!

Now, I just hope it's open to people outside the US.[/spoiler:5c3p8xzx]