Second visit to TDR, trip report with photos

Started by SMCD, May 13, 2008, 12:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMCD

Just got back from Tokyo, and I'm glad to say we had three fantastic days at TDR. The first day we went to Disneyland. After stepping out of the train at Maihama station we got to see the almost finished Disneyland hotel on the location that was an ugly construction site last year. It is a huge hotel, and very fitting in my opinion. It works as an extension of World Bazaar, and brings style and grandeur to the entrance area. The day was the second last day of Golden Week, and the crowds were huge; very large queues, and almost impossible to navigate through the shops at World Bazaar. After a short stroll through the park, we decided to do PotC first. It was one of the attractions that we didn't get to do last time because of a refurb, and I looked forward to see the new additions from the movies for the first time. The queue was pretty long, and people were very happy when Jack Sparrow showed up at the line to make some fun. After the ride I had mixed feelings about the additions. Some of it seemed pretty out of place and shoehorned. The Davy Jones projection, although a very cool effect, didn't match the ride very well in my opinion. But I have to say; Captain Jack looked extremely lifelike and was pretty cool to watch. Anyway, I do like the progression of the Paris version much better, and it's still my favorite. Afterwards we ate a nice chicken salad crepe next door while a band was playing music from the ride and movies. Next up we went to the tree house to get a nice view of the park – you could even se ToT from Disneysea. Then we decided to watch the Country Bear Jamboree for the first time. Have to say, it was pretty weird. Off course I didn't understand much except the songs, but it kind of reminded me of Lester's Possum Farm from A Goofy Movie – only better. After the show we did Splash Mountain, still one of my absolute favorite attractions. Then we decided to battle the around 2-hour queue for Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I had heard good things about it, and I had high expectations when we finally entered the attraction building. It was pretty cool; the ride vehicles ran seamlessly on a trackless surface, and a lot of cool effects unfolded. We then went to the castle foregrounds to watch the anniversary parade Jubilation. The castle was modestly decorated, but looked pretty good. People were sitting down to watch the parade – smart move as everyone got a good view of the show. The parade was very enjoyable, might have been the best daytime parade I have seen. Really cool floats and lots of action. The sound system in the park is pretty bad, though. Then we decided to do Jungle Cruise, and it was better than expected. I thought Hong Kong had the best version, but why hasn't it the temple ruins you pass through from this version? After the cruise we ate dinner at the Queen of Hearts. Lovely place with cool theming and great lighting. After the meal we went to Toon Town and did the Roger Rabbit ride. Toon Town was fun, and we discovered a lot of cool details. It was time to catch the night time parade Dreamlights. It was a nice parade with a LOT of floats. Some were really impressive. Finished the night with a trip trough Haunted Mansion - great as always. Did notice something I hadn't seen before, an effect showing bodies hanging in the attic in the painting scene before you enter the vehicles. The fireworks show Dreams were cancelled because of windy conditions all three days. The last day I couldn't understand why, because the weather was beautiful all day. Well, well. A great day nonetheless, and although the crowds were tiring, I was looking very much forward to the next day in DisneySea.

The next day arrived with nice sunny weather. After the monorail ride from the train station, we entered the breathtaking spectacle that is DisneySea. I got goose bumps as the wonderful view of the harbor was coming into sight through the archways of Mira Costa. The crowds was much lighter than the day before, and we found a much more relaxed atmosphere. Very pleasant. We strolled over to the Sinbad attraction, and it was a walk on. Didn't get to do it last year, and was excited to try it. Found it to be a let down in a way. It's more IaSW than Pirates. Its very nice to look at, and some scenes were great, but I thought it was a little to polished – looked quite kiddy. Also it lacks any dynamics. The same song is played during the whole ride, even the scarier parts, and it makes it a little boring. I would like a small drop and a change of music for those parts, and then back to a happy ending or something. It would maybe make the attraction more appealing to everyone, and bring some people in. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. Next up we went to the Indiana Jones ride. I was looking really forward to do that attraction, as I've never done it and it is off course one of the biggest Disney attractions. About an hour long queue, but mostly an interesting queue line. Indiana Jones himself showed up to take pictures with people. The attraction rocked and featured a lot of great effects. Purchased a cool ride photo. Then we went to do JttCotE, and I still love the ride. Perfect build up with the elevators taking you down into the mountain, and a nice mixture of dark ride through interesting scenes and a thrill ride with a grand ending. After all the excitement we went to Mermaid Lagoon and watched the nice show and ate at Sebastian's. Beautiful place.  Then we did 20.000 Leagues under the Sea – pretty cool ride. Then we walked around the Fortress Explorations, I love that place! At American waterfront we then decided to see one of the shows we missed last time; Big Band Beat. It was terrific. I was really impressed by the singers, the band and the dancers. We were also very impressed with Mystic Rhythms at Lost River Delta – beautiful set design, lighting, and costumes, and a lot of cool and impressive effects. One of my favorite Disney Park shows now. We caught the parade/show on the harbor; Legend of Mythica, in beautiful weather. We also had a great dining experience at Magellan's. I had heard about the "secret room" behind the bookshelf, and we asked if we could eat there. We were then guided through the restaurant, and got some cool info about the decorations, before being showed the bookshelf door and the discrete button that opens it. Inside we ate a four-meal dinner with excellent service. I even got a collector's edition Magellan's glass. As we exited the restaurant after a long dinner, darkness had fallen over the beautifully lighted DisneySea, and mount Prometheus erupted into the night sky. Disney magic at its best! We then enjoyed a visit to Hotel HighTower, a daring move just after a four-meal dinner. The ride is okay, but the build up is excellent. Bought a Hotel Towel. The fantastic day ended with BraviSEAmo, the nighttime spectacular on the harbor. I love that show – fantastic music and great effects.

The last day we were able to go to both parks, but decided to go mostly to DisneySea. We started the day at Disneyland however. A lot of people, but less than the first day. We went over to Tomorrowland, and it is my least favorite area of the Tokyo park. Parts of it, especially the area from Space Mountain to Toon Town looks outdated and a little ugly actually. My friend did Space Mountian, but I decided to skip because I was a little dizzy. I ate a Mickey pizza at the Good Time Café in Toon Town. A lovely day it was. We did Buzz and Splash Mountain before heading over to DisneySea. The crowds were very light in DisneySea that day, and one could almost walk on to any attraction. Decided to go shopping. I bought a very nice and elegant DisneySea watch, a T-shirt and some other stuff. I really wanted to get a sweater saying "DisneySea", "Tokyo Disneyland", or something with the anniversary, but couldn't find it anywhere in any park. Found that to be quite weird. Anyway, I did Sinbad again and my friend Raging Spirits, before seeing the nice show at the stage in front of the SS Columbia. We strolled a lot through the park that day, both in the day and at nighttime, to really soak up the atmosphere of all the different areas. The place is full of little details that are cool to discover. From the sounds on the dock of American waterfront to the details of the streets of Arabian Coast. DisneySea is a class experience. We did Indiana Jones again, and decided to eat at the restaurant inside the steamship. A really cool experience, with lovely food. The view from the deck at night was stunning. We saw BraviSeamo again, and enjoyed the quietness of the park afterwards. Three great days had come to an end.

Here are the photos; //http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=1n0uiypz.a505qb27&Uy=-2k4me5&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=522629792766_286728178111&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

SMCD

Hey, no one wants to comment?    :(

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "SMCD"Hey, no one wants to comment?    :(

Hey, that's weird, I've not seen this before :-k

Very good trip report, and fantastic photos SMCD, thanks for sharing them, and sorry about not seeing this already :)

Epcot_Boy

:hello:

I think people, just like me, tend to pass by the International bit and concentrate on DLRP. :oops:

However, having seen your report and looked at the pix, I won't be making that mistake again :wink:

It is a great report and the pix are spectacular =D>

I have to admit that when I think of Disney Parks I really only think of WDW, DLRC and DLRP. I think it's time for a rethink. :-k

TDR seems pretty cool to me.

Maybe, just maybe, a visit sometime in the future could be in order [-o<

Epcot_Boy :ears:

P.S. A quick question, and sorry it's an obvious one, but was the language a problem for you or could you speak the lingo?

David

SMCD

Thanks, guys!  :D

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy":hello:
I have to admit that when I think of Disney Parks I really only think of WDW, DLRC and DLRP. I think it's time for a rethink. :-k

TDR seems pretty cool to me.

P.S. A quick question, and sorry it's an obvious one, but was the language a problem for you or could you speak the lingo?

TDR is indeed a very cool place. Of the 9 Disney parks I have visited I have loved them all, but DisneySea is my favorite.

They speak very little English there, and there are very few people from outside Japan visiting. However, the cast members are very nice and helpful, so I got by with simple English and sign language.

Brandis

Great trip report, thanks a lot!

TDS also is my favorite park. We are visiting again this october, I'm so looking forward to it, especially TOT which was in early stage of construction last time.

Even though it was much less crowded when we were there in October 05 I noticed the same thing as you did, the crowds in TDS were a lot lighter than in TDL. JttCotE was basically walk on, Indy had about 45 min. wait and even the Canal boats which are pretty slow loading didn't take more than 10 min. to wait. Over at TDL this was a bit different :-). 45 min. wait to get a Pooh FP (and that was first thing in the morning), Pooh Standby about 2h. Haunted Mansion 1h, Splash Mountain as well. The Indian Canoes didn't have much of a wait though, probably because they are a bit off the beaten tracks.

Also had lunch at Queen of Hearts, dinner at Blue Bayou at TDL, at TDS lunch at the fast food place with the never-ending Donald show, which was fun and an elegant dinner at the Columbia Dining Room. Thanks for the info about the sectret room at Magellan's, sure want to try out that one next time. Too bad they didn't add a restaurant to TOT, imagine what they could have done there with the same attention to detail as in Magellan's or Columbia Dining Room!

Did you stay off-site or in a Disney hotel?

Marc

SMCD

^^^Thanks! Have fun on your upcoming trip! And yes, Magellan's is a beautiful place, so you really should give it a try. We stayed in Shinjuku. Would love to stay at one of the on site hotels, especially Mira Costa, but it's pretty expensive. Maybe one day ...  [-o<

MizzRabbit

Jeez, it looks cool! I'm so jealous! Thx for posting! I've really enjoyed looking at your photos!

My Disneypics gallery]http://public.fotki.com/MizzRabbit/[/url]
Use password]

Aveen2008

Hey

great report and pictures the electrical parade/fantilusion looks fantastic as does the other parades. The resort looks amazing but to be honest in many ways it looks like its not got as much warm and disney style as the others. There is a lot of wonderful buildings and structures but they look non disney apart from toon town but maybe i am wrong and i would probably think it was fantastic of I was there!

Thanks for sharing!

Aveenxxx
Luv Aveen xoxo