Up (Pixar 2009)

Started by The Butlin Boy, June 08, 2007, 06:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loladelorean

Went to see Up last night and can honestly say I loved it!
I can't remember the last time I connected with a film so much, I literally laughed and cried at various points throughout the movie. It is beautiful in its combination of the fantastical plot and the simple, very human feelings of Carl.
Carl is the most well constructed and real character I have come across in an animated film.
I also thought the 3D effects were used beautifully to highlight emotions and make the most of the scenery - not gimicky at all.
Can't wait to see it for a second time! 10/10
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

Tuvok

Just saw UP recently and I thought it was excellent. The time they took to realy tell the story of Carl, all the 'silent' moments were you could feel the emotion. Very good. This is storytelling as it should be. It will not rank as my top Pixar movie. For me, Finding Nemo still remains Pixar's finest movie to date. Second best is Wall-E (gotta love that cute robot), but UP will enter my top list on third place.

9/10
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

Anthony

Credit to the DisneyMoviesUK twitter - I sent a message asking about Partly Cloudy not being shown and they replied the next day "Where did you see it? I'll look into it. Partly Cloudy should have been screened before the main feature.", then just now asking to confirm the cinema: "Can you confirm if it was the Odeon Printworks or Trafford Centre? We're baffled as to why the short wasn't on the front of the film.".

Great service, Disney! :mrgreen:

Owain

OMG !

Up was AMAZING !  :)

Best film ive seen in ages !

10/10  =D>

RnRCj

I'm starting to think I did see the wrong film after all the positive reviews...

Did no one at all notice the long boring part in the middle? Approximately from just after the house takes off to the final scene on the blimp? There was the odd moment of very brief excitement (like when the house descends through the rock formations), but other than that nothing to keep you stuck to your seat.

Had the boring parts been cut, as well as there being a little more consistency in the storyline, I probably would have liked the film.

luke85

Quote from: "RnRCj"I'm starting to think I did see the wrong film after all the positive reviews...

Did no one at all notice the long boring part in the middle? Approximately from just after the house takes off to the final scene on the blimp? There was the odd moment of very brief excitement (like when the house descends through the rock formations), but other than that nothing to keep you stuck to your seat.

Had the boring parts been cut, as well as there being a little more consistency in the storyline, I probably would have liked the film.

I agree with you, whilst I did enjoy it, I thought it was far from perfect. I too felt that the film lagged in the middle.

One things that bugged me, but I only thought about it after the film... [spoiler:c56zq1qv]Charles Muntz was Carl's childhood idol, in the film Carl is roughly in his eighties (just a guess), so that would mean that Muntz would be 100+?! He certainly looked well for his age ;)[/spoiler:c56zq1qv]

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "luke85"One things that bugged me, but I only thought about it after the film... [spoiler:3fpgplsp]Charles Muntz was Carl's childhood idol, in the film Carl is roughly in his eighties (just a guess), so that would mean that Muntz would be 100+?! He certainly looked well for his age ;)[/spoiler:3fpgplsp]

That did cross my mind too :roll:  :lol:

RnRCj

Quote from: "luke85"One things that bugged me, but I only thought about it after the film... [spoiler:1upf1d0f]Charles Muntz was Carl's childhood idol, in the film Carl is roughly in his eighties (just a guess), so that would mean that Muntz would be 100+?! He certainly looked well for his age ;)[/spoiler:1upf1d0f]
Oh yes, that was another thing I was going to moan about! :lol:

Owain

I saw up lastnight also with Owain, thought it was a good movie.
But yeah i just realised, they looked pretty much the same age during the end, suppose they cant get everything perfect!

apart from that, excellent! :D

Owain

Okay that was ment to be posted by me (Jake) but Owain had left his forum account logged in without me realising, oopsy daisy!

loladelorean

Quote from: "RnRCj"I'm starting to think I did see the wrong film after all the positive reviews...

I can honestly say I wasn't bored for a second. I don't think action sequences are the only thing to keep you stuck to your seat - more important in this film are the emotional development of Carl and Russell, both finding the friend they badly need in an unlikely place.
Plus there's the comedy element, especially with all the animal characters! I won't say anymore in case I give things away.
If you want the "boring parts cut" but class the boring parts as being about two thirds of the film, there wouldn't be much left for you to like :S
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

RnRCj

The problem was that there were several very long periods with no real action. I agree that a film needs to have both action-packed scenes and some less-exciting scenes. But in the case of Up the less exciting scenes tended to drag on for too long. Even shortening them slightly would probably have made me like the film a little more.

Adam

Saw this the other day - http://stuff.tv/blogs/cool/archive/2009 ... -game.aspx

Interesting use of Google Maps!

Clarebelle

5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

DLP-Photos.com

Just came back from the cinema and I am truly blown away - Disney/Pixar has done it again!

This movie is not only hilarious it is also beautiful, touching and heartwharmning. I have never experienced an audience going from such extreme laughing (eg. the introduction of Kevin) to being complete silent with some occasional crying parts for some of the audience - obtaining that kind of reactions within the same movie is something you do not see that often any more and in my humble opinion that it is rare cinematic art, which has been produced by Disney/Pixar once again :-)

And Partly Cloudy was simply amazing too - creative, funny and extremely beautiful.

... and I kind of got an idea of a state-of-the-art Disneyland Attraction themed to Up!, which would use a combination of the Soarin' technique, the Star Tours II 3D technique and state-of-the-art animatronics to create a new and amazing experience within Adventureland. They could even add more adventure places like Paradise Falls and create new characters unique to the attraction (just like Ride and Go Seek) - they've already created such an amazing fantasy creature in Kevin - think of what they might create for such an attraction!
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]