Disneyland Resort Paris to be smoke-free as of April 2008

Started by Remco K., January 25, 2008, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

I wasn't there; I wish. I was just transliterating from Disney Central Plaza, haha.

Riebi

OMG! Now I´m feeling less pampered :lol:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

DestinationMagic

I'm just back from a 5 day trip and I can only report that nobody was smoking in the queues, shows, shops and restaurants. But people are smoking in every other area in the park, especially when we wait for the parade, there was much (too much for me) smoking...  :(
14 - Davy Crocket Ranch
11 - Santa Fe
10 - Cheyenne
09 - Santa Fe
08 - Santa Fe
07 - Cheyenne
06 - Cheyenne
06 - Davy Crocket Ranch
01 - Sequia Lodge
00 - Newport Bay Club
00 - Sequia Lodge
97 - Newport Bay Club
94 - Sequia Lodge

Soap

Quote from: "DestinationMagic"I'm just back from a 5 day trip and I can only report that nobody was smoking in the queues, shows, shops and restaurants. But people are smoking in every other area in the park, especially when we wait for the parade, there was much (too much for me) smoking...  :(

I had the same experience last week.
I missed some sort of clear signal. I think they should put up some sort of sign at the entrance of the parc?  :?:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

pussinboots

They have clearly done very little to make sure people understand this new policy.

What they've done:
-Added smoking areas to park maps;
-Added tiny "smoke here" signs to the trash cans in the smoking areas;
-Instructed Cast Members to direct smokers to the smoking areas in a friendly manner.

All of this is obviously very, very easily missed, especially considering most of Europe still does not think twice about lighting up outdoors.

What they haven't done:
-Created themed "Smoking Area" signs as in Disneyland in California;

-Removed or obscured ashtrays and "smoke here" signs that are still on trash cans everywhere(!);
-Created some large, unavoidable, possibly tentative manner of reminding people of the new policy. Indeed a sign near the entrance or even a few Cast Members with the specific task of directing people to the areas just seems necessary.

It just seems rather pointless to even have smoking areas when nobody's using them.

MinniesBestPal

And so it should be!

When I went there was a shopkeeper telling a guy off for smoking in Adventureland!

(YAY! My 100th post!)

The Butlin Boy

Sounds like they really need to clearly sign post the smoking areas, and signs like pussinboots has posted would be brilliant. I really hope that they have plans to add these signs very soon [-o<

Nicholas-c

as long as its not in the queues, it doesn't really bother me, would be nice for people to go to smoking areas, but some people have the "it will only be 1 quick smoke" attitude im guessing.
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Soap

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"as long as its not in the queues, it doesn't really bother me, would be nice for people to go to smoking areas, but some people have the "it will only be 1 quick smoke" attitude im guessing.

And that's just the attitude that they should let go! They bother other people with their habit and addiction!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

kirstenoel

Quote from: "Soap"
Quote from: "DestinationMagic"I'm just back from a 5 day trip and I can only report that nobody was smoking in the queues, shows, shops and restaurants. But people are smoking in every other area in the park, especially when we wait for the parade, there was much (too much for me) smoking...  :(

I had the same experience last week.
I missed some sort of clear signal. I think they should put up some sort of sign at the entrance of the parc?  :?:

I was there last week and saw quite a few people smoking in the Qs, on TOT, phantom manor, indiana jones and even crush to name just a few. And there was certainly A LOT of smoking going on around the rest of the park. I also saw a lot of cast members ignoring the fact that people were smoking in Qs and outside shops.

And I agree, there definitely needs to be some more non-smoking signs. I saw on one of the signs that fines can be issued... but obviously they never are!! - I'm not having a big dig at smokers - I used to smoke - but rules are rules and they're there for a reason.
My Youtube Channel] //http://www.youtube.com/noelkir
My Disney Photos] //http://www.flickr.com/kirstenoel
?? A Wimba Way A Wimba Way ??

Remco K.

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"Sounds like they really need to clearly sign post the smoking areas, and signs like pussinboots has posted would be brilliant. I really hope that they have plans to add these signs very soon [-o<
Signs are one thing, but people are probably still watching over it pretty quickly. The best way to introduce this new rule (which should've been introduced clearly already) is to find, like pussnboots said, a way for CMs to make guests more aware of this new rule.

So placing signs can be effective, but removing "Smoke here" sings from places where you're not allowed to smoke is probably helping more... :P

Anthony

What really needs to be done, if they're actually serious about this:

a) Put a much larger warning on the park maps, I'm really surprised the current one is so tiny.

b) Place signs (lots of them, spread out) at the entrance to each park, same as the "filming today" signs, saying "No smoking is permitted in the park except in designated areas" and refer people to the park maps available just a few feet away under MS station.

I'm usually the first to say smokers are a bit ignorant, but not in this case. You'd have no clue about this rule if you're not a fan or don't religiously read everything on the park map.

Actually, I'd say (or hope) that DLRP probably are serious about this but are just bringing it in very very gradually. Maybe in a few months or more we'll get more signs, then later the CMs will be told to enforce it, etc. This kind of rule will come as a shock for lots of Europeans...

The Butlin Boy

I've just returned myself, and people were smoking outside of the smoking areas quite frequently. But as Baloo has already said, you really cannot blame them because there is no message of these areas in the resort at all, apart from a tiny message on the park maps, which I couldn't even see at first. DLRP really needs to get their act together on this issue in the next few months, or the whole idea is just pointless.

Riebi

Maybe it´s a step-by-step-solution cause of the european freeminded/freedomloving visitors. First small signs at the park map, then bigger one at the map and in the park and later a cast member training where they will learn things to say like "Excuse me sir, would you be a friendly disney fan and go to the smoking area in this direction"
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

kurgly_bird

last week, there was smoke everywhere. I can hardly remember queueing without it involving smoke being blown all over me. I didn't even notice the signs on the park map, that's how poor they are. Hopefully it will be tackled better soon.

x x x