Star Tours enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by Anthony, April 23, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dag1986

Quote from: samuelvictor on May 17, 2016, 02:23:31 PM
Quote from: CafeFantasia on April 01, 2016, 06:35:50 PM
I've got a full transcript and English translation of the Star Tours: Merci et Bon Voyage

Thank you very much for the English translation, great to be able to enjoy the ceremony.

Forgive me if this has already been posted and I've missed it, but DLPToday has a really interesting post with pictures of the planned re-design of the area here: http://www.dlptoday.com/2016/05/09/plans-reveal-redesigned-star-tours-exterior-new-star-wars-boutique-character-location/

T'ha l you Samuel for the link.
Wow, I can't really tell you why, but I feel like I'm going to miss the old arcade at the end of the ride. I used to play something once every visit (especially Star Wars themed games, of course) but I understand that probably it was a space not fully utilized, since I don't think many people where spending money on the arcade games.
I also liked where the space x wing was before, but overall I have to admit that a re-imagining of the area was needed.
Good the idea of the meet and greet area, I hope that they wil turn videopolis, criminally underused, into a Cantina style restaurant, keeping of course the Jedi academy within itself. Maybe add some cantina band animatronics too!
DLP Visits:
June 2006 - Magic Circus Hotel;
January 2013 - Cheyenne Hotel;
January 2014 - Santa Fe' Hotel;
January 2015 - Santa Fe' Hotel;
December 2015 - Kyriad Hotel;
February 2016 - Kyriad Hotel;
November 2016 - Kyriad Hotel;
Coming next:
November 2017 - Vienna House Dream Castle...
and counting...

samuelvictor

No problem :)

Heck yeah anything with animatronics is always cool with me!

I too feel its a shame to lose the arcade but realistically it has become more and more barren and irrelevant as the years have gone by - when I last went in Jan 2015 there were only about 5 games there and only one that was Star Wars related. There was loads of empty space and it felt like a disused warehouse - very different to just a few years earlier. Turning the area into a big shop selling Disney / Star Wars stuff is actually a welcome change for me. I love Star Traders, but to have it expanded would be cool - like the themed shops after Tower of Terror, Art of Animation, Buzz Lightyear and Pirates. Re-puposing the Star Traders building as a character meet and greet is also a good idea, I feel.

However, I'm not 100% happy with the moving of the X-Wing to be landed on top of Star Traders - I feel the angle doesn't show it off and it won't feel as dynamic - and everyone knows the X-Wings look cooler with the wings open, not closed ;)

By the way (again, forgive me if this has already been posted) Kris Van de Sande made a fantastic 5 part documentary / time capsule of the original Paris Star Tours before it closed, perfectly preserving all of the pre-show videos, audio and animatronics in fantastic detail. For those (like me) who will miss it dearly, this is a wonderful tribute. The first video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aESR6y65MI and the other 4 parts are of course on his Youtube account.

jeakat24

Wow, thanks for sharing. I'm probably in the minority but I really like the plans. Granted, I think the X-Wing could/should have open wings, or failing that different ship from the franchise to do something different. But I think it will look great from the railroad regardless.

I love the idea of having the shop, and I'm even more in love with the meet and great. So needed and a fantastic use of that space. Though I will miss Star Traders.

The first thing that that really struck me about the plans is the new entrance. At first I wasn't too sure, but I think once it's in the environment it will fit. It also gives a much more clear entrance to Star Tours than I think was there before. Now all they need is to do something about the old EO/HISTA building and that area will feel so much better.
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

samuelvictor

Quote from: jeakat24 on May 17, 2016, 09:45:48 PM
Now all they need is to do something about the old EO/HISTA building and that area will feel so much better.

Agreed. In the short term, they are going to use it for a "Short Film Festival" where they show Disney & Pixar shorts (which in my mind is preferable to the Ant Man "preview" or EO) but they could really help the theming of the area by adding another Star Wars themed attraction or restaurant.

irishbhoy1888

Will the new star tours be in 3d ? and is it true that there are many different variations and tours you will be able to go on .

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: irishbhoy1888 on May 18, 2016, 01:24:11 AM
Will the new star tours be in 3d ? and is it true that there are many different variations and tours you will be able to go on .

Yes, it will be the same as currently in Disneyland California. I have been on this many times. There is a 3D glasses pick up area just before you get put into a pod line up, similar to the way in Ratatouille. 

There are about 10 different versions on random loop. They all start the same and end the same but take you on a different adventure. They have now put in a Force Awakens scene into the rotation as well.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

samuelvictor

Yes as bad-pink-tink says, it is in 3D and has multiple destinations.

From what I've heard, after the opening (which is near identical but sometimes has very minor changes, ie sometimes has Boba Fett), there are 2 main sections for each ride, the first is randomly chosen out of 5 or so, and the second is randomly chosen out of a different 5 or so. They cover the timeline between episode 3 and 4 so can contain elements from the prequels and original trilogy, though they have recently added at least one new section based on episode 7. (so not only are you travelling in space, also in time  ::) ??? 8) ).

stifle

There will be a total of 54 different possible experiences in the new Star Tours at DLP :)

irishbhoy1888

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on May 18, 2016, 10:24:06 AM
Quote from: irishbhoy1888 on May 18, 2016, 01:24:11 AM

Yes, it will be the same as currently in Disneyland California. I have been on this many times. There is a 3D glasses pick up area just before you get put into a pod line up, similar to the way in Ratatouille. 

There are about 10 different versions on random loop. They all start the same and end the same but take you on a different adventure. They have now put in a Force Awakens scene into the rotation as well.

Cool 😎. Can't wait for a go

Thaliel

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on May 18, 2016, 10:24:06 AM
There is a 3D glasses pick up area just before you get put into a pod line up, similar to the way in Ratatouille. 

tbh, this has me a little disappointed, knowing that there is lready technology available to have 3d effect without needing the glasses
<-Plz click

samuelvictor

Quote from: Thaliel on August 15, 2016, 12:50:00 AM
tbh, this has me a little disappointed, knowing that there is lready technology available to have 3d effect without needing the glasses
Not really, we're not quite there yet - I watched a technology video about it on the BBC news channel just a couple of days ago.

The technology used on the 3DS and 3D TVs that require no glasses is limited to small screens, and has a very slim viewing angle. The equivalent technology doesn't work on larger screens, because the angle of viewing from one corner to another is different, and also the angles are different for each viewer, as the seats are in different positions. There are the same problems with the "special paint"/fabric soloutions and lenticular versions. They work perfectly for very small images (hense why they are often used on collector's cards, DVD covers, phone cases etc) but don't scale well at all for larger sizes/

The reason the 3d effect is much better on the "New 3DS" over the standard one, is that it uses its forward facing cameras to track where your face is, and adjusts the 3d settings accordingly to accomodate for subtle changes in where your head is and where your eyes are looking. This only works for one person, and is not applicable to a cinema or large scale simulator like Star Tours. However, this kind of technology has been used for the latest versions of single rider simulators with smaller screens (like the one you pay to use in arcades).

There is another technology that can be used for larger screens and multiple viewers, and its being experimented with in various cinemas in Asia, but it is very limited and massively affects the brightness, contrast and colour levels possible, and has a tendency to cause headaches, motion sickness etc again because of the fact the "correct" viewing angle for everyone will be slightly different.

We're 80% of the way to having this work, but not quite there yet for a perfect solution that would work for these kinds of rides.

Lindsayv1977

Anyone any update on the reopening yet or is it still saying March.
I'm going in Feb so crossing my fingers

samuelvictor

Yes, I'd really like to know if its planned to be re-openned in time for at least some of the "Season of the Force" (14th Jan to 26th March). Seems strange for it not to be...

irishbhoy1888

Usually if they say March,  its more likely to ve delayed than early. Chances are it will be still closed 😔

samuelvictor

Quote from: irishbhoy1888 on August 28, 2016, 12:42:14 PM
Usually if they say March,  its more likely to ve delayed than early. Chances are it will be still closed 😔
Yeah, I'm enclined to believe that as well. Seems a missed opportunity to not use the Star Wars season as a way to launch the new ride...