The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Started by Anthony, March 12, 2005, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

Quote from: "RnRCj"I can't believe it's less than 2 months until it opens :shock:

I can't believe that almost 3 years go by that fast ... but I am happy about it  :P

RnRCj

Quote from: "Flounder"
Quote from: "RnRCj"I can't believe it's less than 2 months until it opens :shock:

I can't believe that almost 3 years go by that fast ... but I am happy about it  :P

I know! :lol: I remember when I was standing in WDS 3 years ago looking at that empty space. I was thinking how long it was until the opening of the Tower, but now it's nearly here! :D

Sly_Racoon

I can't wait till it opens. I'm in DLRP 19th - 23rd December, i hope its open for these dates!

Japper

From themepark.nl :

At the parking but on the way back (crush is on the other side to the parks)

Looks nice!

The Butlin Boy

Damn, Japper you beat me to it :wink: It does look cool though. It is very surprising to see adverts like this for the TOT out already in the resort, perhaps its a sign (no pun intended :roll: ) of soft-openings starting soon :)

Anthony

Wowowow, this advertisement is beautiful!! Great art deco styles, use of the Twilight Zone fonts, elevator crashing downwards... Very clever to place it so people leaving see it too - DLRP are still on top form from their 15th success.

I was a bit worried about how DLRP would tackle the ToT advertising, but this is perfect. The best thing is, they're using the theme, colours and story to sell it as much as the thrill. Thumbs up!

The Butlin Boy

I just noticed whilst looking at it again, that if you look at the opening soon bit under the logo, it looks like a sticker, perhaps it will be peeled off soon :D

experiment627

Well, it's been an awful long time since my last post (and that for good reason...)...

However, I've been following your discussions.

Now, about two weeks ago, I had the wonderful chance to test ride "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" at the Walt Disney Studios - and I wanted to share a few thoughts that I have about this attraction... (Don't worry, I'll try to keep it spoiler-free.)

The work inside was about 99,5% done, while they still added the finishing touches to the entrance area of the "Hollywood Tower Hotel".
The attention to detail of the whole experience is amazing: the hotel lobby looks beautifully (but then again, they still hadn't added the dust to the props ;-)), the artifacts inside of the two libraries are amazing pieces and there's enough eye-candy in these rooms alone. Same goes for the boiler-room, which has kind of a hellish-quality to it due to being two stories high. (Also, the detail in here is amazing...) The effects inside of the elevator shafts were all running and pretty impressive. And then: the view! Just breathtaking... One can see pretty much all of the Studios as well as everything at Disneyland from Big Thunder Mountain to Space Mountain.

I'd call the drop-program "Disney-thrilling", as in: true thrill-seekers might be a bit disappointed, but just as thrilling as, lets say, "Rock'n'Rollercoaster". But then again, it's not about the thrill but about the whole experience...

And in this case... well, let's put it this way: the "Tower of Terror" managed to transport me into another world. To a Hollywood that never was. To a place, that just existed in my imagination... It's the very first attraction at the Walt Disney Studios to do so. And in my book, it reminds me of the very best Disney-storytelling (and story-setting) like DLP's "Pirates of the Caribbean" or "Phantom Manor".

All in all - even if one should prefer the versions of the ride in California, Florida or Japan -, I view "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" as the best, most "Disney"-ride ever since the opening of Disneyland Parks 15 years ago...

I hope I wet your appetite. :)

RnRCj

Thanks so much for sharing that with us experiment :wink: It sounds like a great ride. Have you ridden any of the other Tower Of Terrors?

Anthony

Thanks for the write-up, Experiment. Great to see you posting here again!

Quote from: "experiment627"I'd call the drop-program "Disney-thrilling", as in: true thrill-seekers might be a bit disappointed, but just as thrilling as, lets say, "Rock'n'Rollercoaster". But then again, it's not about the thrill but about the whole experience...
I'd imagine we have the DCA drop profile then? Some rumours said WDS might skip straight to a random sequence. No doubt DLRP want to keep this as an Indy Backwards/SM:M2-style relaunch in a few years!

Quote from: "experiment627"All in all - even if one should prefer the versions of the ride in California, Florida or Japan -, I view "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" as the best, most "Disney"-ride ever since the opening of Disneyland Parks 15 years ago...
From seeing the progress of recent months, this is exactly what I've been expecting! I'm so glad you said this, confirms it all. And the view from the top, Big Thunder to Space Mountain you say? I can only imagine... :o

RnRCj

Quote from: "Baloo"I'd imagine we have the DCA drop profile then? Some rumours said WDS might skip straight to a random sequence. No doubt DLRP want to keep this as an Indy Backwards/SM:M2-style relaunch in a few years!

Do you think a random drop sequence is likely in  a few years? :?: That would be really cool - It worked really well with the Florida TOT :lol:

-breeno-

Great read there experiment627 :D

When you say "ramdom drop sequence", do you mean the lift shaft drops at a ramdom time when the doors are open?  Sorry i've never been to DCA or MGM so i wouldn't know what happens in there ToTs.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

mehdi5

Quote from: "-breeno-"Great read there experiment627 :D

When you say "ramdom drop sequence", do you mean the lift shaft drops at a ramdom time when the doors are open?  Sorry i've never been to DCA or MGM so i wouldn't know what happens in there ToTs.
With random drop sequence he means that every time the ride is different and the sequence is never the same :wink:

Nath

To be honest I don't know why they don't just add it now. Sure they may want to add it at a later date to add more intrigue, but programing those PLC's doesn't come cheap. Maybe they should get all of the different sequences programmed in now while they still can for 'free' and then in a few years just start using them.

experiment627

Concerning that random drop sequence : I've ridden the elevators in all of the three shafts and as far as I could tell it was the same drop profile in each one of them...

And yes, I've been on the Florida version of the Tower...