Phantom Manor 2018-19 Refurbishment (Now re-opened!)

Started by Lulabell, January 12, 2018, 12:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lulabell

Anyone heard anything yet about Phantom Manor's refurbishment? I hope they keep the storyline the same and just update the effects and maybe add in Vincent Price's original spiel in the stretching room! Would love to know if anyone's hear any rumours!   ;D
A dream is a wish your heart makes

DLPWonders (Banned)

Nobody knows whats going to happen.
Nothing has been released about it.
We'll see in Autumn.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

loladelorean

There are often rumours and tidbits of information about these things even before official releases - here's hoping we get some sort of clue(s) before it reopens in Autumn.
I also really hope the storyline stays the same, but my hope would be that something is added to make it a bit clearer for guests who are not familiar with the backstory. It always strikes me that this is a ride that is super popular with fans who really *get it* but can be confusing or underwhelming for some other visitors (based on feedback from friends and family of mine, I can't say how widespread that is).
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

DLPWonders (Banned)

^ Actually the whole point of it is that people can interpret it in different ways.
I'd advise you to do some research into Phantom Manor, and the whole theming of Frontierland.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

loladelorean

Quote from: DLPWonders on January 12, 2018, 01:35:41 PM
^ Actually the whole point of it is that people can interpret it in different ways.
I'd advise you to do some research into Phantom Manor, and the whole theming of Frontierland.

I'm sorry but I am getting really sick of your patronising posts - I have been a member of this forum for almost ten years but your posts recently are putting me off even visiting the forum. Even as I was posting my comment above I was worried about what snide response you were going to give, and you proved me right.

I am fully aware of the theme and back story of Frontierland and Phantom Manor - and even though that should have been obvious from the content of my post above, it would generally be good practice not to assume that people know nothing when responding to them. What I was trying, in a balanced and honest way, to say was that several people I know who have visited the parks for the first time have not "got" the story and point to Phantom Manor and even though the story is there for those who do research, I think it is unlikely that all guests will do this. My personal opinion is that it would be nice to bring this brilliant story out a bit more clearly for all visitors.

It's now gotten to the stage where you've put me off visiting a forum I've enjoyed for a long time. I don't actually understand why you want to spend time tearing people down and creating negativity on a forum that should be about a happy place.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

Slimy yet satisfying

It looks like the moderator is aware of this situation and is keeping tabs on her...2nd warning. Hopefully 3 strikes and shes out. There is no place for that attitude on this forum so please dont leave on account of a nasty troll. Your advice, feedback and thoughts are very much appreciated...dont go 😢😭😭😭
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

claire2281

I believe what Tony Baxter was saying previously about the attraction isn't that it can be interpreted differently by design but that it's designed to be language independent. This in turn will lead to different people having slightly different views on what's going on.

I think the biggest help with understanding it is Madame Leota's room if you hear the 'vanishing groom' speech but obviously you don't always get that depending on how you travel through it.

It'll be interesting to see if they make any efforts to make the story clearer - it's a balancing act between wanting to get it across and not having to rely too much on language or too much exposition.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Zee79

Quote from: claire2281 on January 14, 2018, 12:24:27 PM
I believe what Tony Baxter was saying previously about the attraction isn't that it can be interpreted differently by design but that it's designed to be language independent. This in turn will lead to different people having slightly different views on what's going on.

I think the biggest help with understanding it is Madame Leota's room if you hear the 'vanishing groom' speech but obviously you don't always get that depending on how you travel through it.

It'll be interesting to see if they make any efforts to make the story clearer - it's a balancing act between wanting to get it across and not having to rely too much on language or too much exposition.

Totally agree. It's how people see it and I personally like not having to rely on language as it can often detract from the ride/show etc and can make people feel like they are missing something.
I just want it a little bit lighter as I'm getting 'older' now and taking my eyes longer to adjust haha

Anthony

Quote from: loladelorean on January 14, 2018, 11:12:37 AM
Quote from: DLPWonders on January 12, 2018, 01:35:41 PM

I'm sorry but I am getting really sick of your patronising posts - I have been a member of this forum for almost ten years but your posts recently are putting me off even visiting the forum. Even as I was posting my comment above I was worried about what snide response you were going to give, and you proved me right.

It's now gotten to the stage where you've put me off visiting a forum I've enjoyed for a long time. I don't actually understand why you want to spend time tearing people down and creating negativity on a forum that should be about a happy place.

I'm really sorry to read this loladelorean, but please be assured we won't let this continue any further and I hope you'll continue posting. DLPWonders has been contacted twice very politely about the tone of her posts and if she chooses to continue posting without improve this I will be left with no option but to close the account. We're lucky enough that the forum usually almost moderates itself these days, so there's no formal warnings system, and we would only ever remove an account as a very last resort, but I think more than enough chance has been given now.

Now back to topic...

Quote from: loladelorean on January 14, 2018, 11:12:37 AM
I am fully aware of the theme and back story of Frontierland and Phantom Manor - and even though that should have been obvious from the content of my post above, it would generally be good practice not to assume that people know nothing when responding to them. What I was trying, in a balanced and honest way, to say was that several people I know who have visited the parks for the first time have not "got" the story and point to Phantom Manor and even though the story is there for those who do research, I think it is unlikely that all guests will do this. My personal opinion is that it would be nice to bring this brilliant story out a bit more clearly for all visitors.

I totally agree with this and what I'm really hoping for with this refurbishment is the same story, the same atmosphere, but told using the best new technology possible. I think even just a few extra hints would be enough to put across the story to more people, and have more visitors appreciate the whole attraction more. The stretching rooms have always been a poor point for me - how many people actually spot the Phantom hanging the groom? It's a fairly crucial story point but it's a difficult angle (and dark) to see what's actually happening up there.

Ps: this is now the official topic for refurb. Ask and discuss away... don't just wait till Autumn to see what happens!  ;)

claire2281

The lighting is DEFINITELY a big area for improvement. Obviously they need it dark for the atmosphere and it's great not to be able to see the show building ceiling but at the same time I think there's loads of details in the house parts that you're missing out on because it's too dark - even the 'breathing' door was barely visible in December. The stretching room is another obvious one too - I'm sure it used to be clearer a few years back and since I don't see them changing that room at all I'm certain they'll be able to do something with the lighting of it. The Haunted Mansion version of the same thing is crystal clear.

As for new effects - which we know are coming - I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a version of the Hatbox ghost. They might as well now they have it perfected! Similarly the floating version of Leota. I'd love to see the incorporate some of the 'tricks' from the incredible Mystic Manor too but how much of that is feasible in the PM show building isn't certain.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

AJDisney

I imagine that no one will agree with what I'm going to say here (eek!), BUT! I actually think the lighting is pretty spot on in Phantom Manor -- there are a few lights (especially in the wallpaper) that don't work, so I guess once those are fixed, it will be pretty spot on.

For me, I would get rid of most of the second half of the ride as is. Going through Thunder Mesa is cool and all, but it completely takes you out of the immersion of the ride. I'd have longer in the house and then a tour of the graveyard. Keep it dark. They can add some light relief through things like the card playing ghosts, singing busts, etc etc.

Also hoping they'll make it so it can have the Xmas overlay during the xmas period (I reckon they will). Imagine how amazing outside of the Manor would look with dying holly and garlands?! It would be epic!
June 2017 - Radisson Blu at DLP
September 2017 - Cheyenne
February 2018 - Sequoia Lodge Columbia River Suite
December 2018 - Santa Fe
February 2019 - Disneyland Resort - Castle Inn and Suites
April 2019 - Off-site

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: AJDisney on January 15, 2018, 01:00:01 AM
I imagine that no one will agree with what I'm going to say here (eek!), BUT! I actually think the lighting is pretty spot on in Phantom Manor -- there are a few lights (especially in the wallpaper) that don't work, so I guess once those are fixed, it will be pretty spot on.

For me, I would get rid of most of the second half of the ride as is. Going through Thunder Mesa is cool and all, but it completely takes you out of the immersion of the ride. I'd have longer in the house and then a tour of the graveyard. Keep it dark. They can add some light relief through things like the card playing ghosts, singing busts, etc etc.

Also hoping they'll make it so it can have the Xmas overlay during the xmas period (I reckon they will). Imagine how amazing outside of the Manor would look with dying holly and garlands?! It would be epic!

I will agree with you on both points. For the most part the lighting is fine although there are some places were a bit more illumination would be nice. And I always found the Thunder Mesa part quite jarring. It makes sense in the grand park scheme of things; maybe a better transition is required from being inside a house to being outside.

DisneyDev

Reading this with interest.  While I am no expert, I thought I was fairly "familiar" with the story behind Phantom Manor / Frontierland etc but what I'm picking up here is there are various bits I am unaware of and certainly things on the ride which may have escaped my attention.

Would anyone care to point me in the direction of further reading for the background of both?  I'd be very interested and grateful.

Many thanks.

DC

I'm no expert and didn't knew there was a story to the ride before reading the Marvel comic Haunted Mansion. The main character is a kid who goes into the mansion because his grandfather ghost is trapped inside. He has to navigate the mansion in more ways than we do in the ride. It was a good way to know the background story of some of the more famous ghosts (Leota, the bride, the pirate captain, etc.) but probably not the most accurate one. The experts may know more :)

DisneyManiac

Alright, for people who would like to read up on the Ravenswood Family and the settlement of Thunder Mesa: http://www.ravenswood-manor.com/legend.html