Disney Stars on Parade

Started by sunshine1, March 26, 2017, 12:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pialykke

Quote from: Ggfergy on April 15, 2017, 08:26:00 PM
The new Parade is visually excellent, but it's just so disappointing in other ways.

The music is awful. It's not catchy and it's quite frankly a mess. I get that each float has its own music alongside a main overall song, but the execution is poor. To see how this is done well, the Paint the Night show at WDW is a good example.

Too many of the floats have characters too high up. There needs to be more ground level interaction.

The 25th anniversary song is really good - why didnt they use that as the parade song rather than this monstrosity.

Frozen as the last float seems about 3 years too late in execution.

Too many same characters as per previous parades.

I have to say, I completely agree - the music is awful, such a shambles.. And I haven't even seen it live yet.. I had heard the anniversary song before watching clips of the parade, and actually thought that was the one they used for the parade... Imagine my disappointment...!!! I can't believe they would choose something like this - I can't find head nor tail in it... And I certainly wont be learning any lyrics (which I have already done with the anniversary song)..
Do they even use that anywhere in the park now??
I guess I will have to wait and see if it grows on me, when we go... :(

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

sunshine1

Saw the parade twice this week.
I just cant get into the music...
Also the floats are very high so it is easy to miss characters. For me Mogali is up very high. I wouldnt have known about him being in the parade if i hadnt have read it on here

claire2281

Having now seen it in person I can safely say I think it's utterly brilliant. I loved Magic of Parade but this is a definite step up. It's so vibrant and impressive and I adore the music (particularly the Peter Pan interlude which has an amazing energy to it). The characters dancing at the start are great, the floats are all impressive and everything was working smoothly. Maleficent is of course a highlight but there's so much to see and we got some wonderful interactions from the walking characters (especially the fairies as we were wearing Maleficent hats XD).

Alas the Lion King float is absent right now as it has an engine problem but the characters were all on foot instead and tbh it wasn't really missed that much.

Just a note to say that the rotating wheel on the Toy Story float doesn't appear to be used when it's been raining as I guess it's far too slippery for the performers. Others everything was working brilliantly including the smoke on Goofy's rocket pack.

IMO by far the best place to stand is the area between the towers out of Fantasyland and castle stage (on the annual passport bureau side). You get a great long view of the floats coming up and it's a brilliant spot for getting photos and videos.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

polar vixen

I was so disappointed. Couldn't get into the music. Floats were grand and amazing but not enough happening on the floor- stood in the disabled section near the castle and sometimes between floats there was just empty street while you waited for the next float  . Parade used to be the highlight of the week but there was no desire to see it again.

Pamela

If you've never seen a parade, this was amazing! It's nice that every float has it's own music that you recognize from the movies and to see how enthusiastic the characters are.

Now I've seen one parade before and I must say that compared to the one I have seen (I went november last year, no idea what it's called...) this is a bit of a letdown, I think. When I got home last year, the song popped into my head a couple of times, causing me to sing it at the top of my lungs, having my boyfriend sing along. That won't happen this year when we go. It also feels like in the last parade, there were more floor characters, which makes me feel like it was a lot bigger than this one is.
Fair enough; the floats are amazing, so big and beautiful. It's just such a shame that some are so high, for example Buzz Lightyear! I also think it's a shame there is no interaction between Peter Pan and Captain Hook. In the last parade there was and I loved that. I do very much love the Frozen float and the fact that Kristoff is in the parade as well.

All in all I like the parade a lot, it's just not as good as the last parade.

AJDisney

I actually like the music!

Thought it was very short in comparison to other parades I've seen and I don't know, not much seemed to be happening? Thought the dragon was a bit rubbish too, to be honest. Being able to see a person literally driving it down main street whilst on her walkytalky was a bit of a mood killer...
June 2017 - Radisson Blu at DLP
September 2017 - Cheyenne
February 2018 - Sequoia Lodge Columbia River Suite
December 2018 - Santa Fe
February 2019 - Disneyland Resort - Castle Inn and Suites
April 2019 - Off-site

claire2281

Quote from: Pamela on July 18, 2017, 01:48:06 PM
I also think it's a shame there is no interaction between Peter Pan and Captain Hook. In the last parade there was and I loved that.

We got lots of interaction between them with them heckling each other (Hook's seat allows him to turn round to face Peter) so I guess it just depends on when you see it.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Pamela

Quote from: claire2281 on July 18, 2017, 06:45:49 PM
Quote from: Pamela on July 18, 2017, 01:48:06 PM
I also think it's a shame there is no interaction between Peter Pan and Captain Hook. In the last parade there was and I loved that.

We got lots of interaction between them with them heckling each other (Hook's seat allows him to turn round to face Peter) so I guess it just depends on when you see it.

Ah, good to know! Thanks!

ccsvideo

Excellent work by all Disney Cast Members. The floats are top-notch, the acting, including dancing is fantastic. This is in the best tradition of Disney parades. Bravo.

princesspiggy

I think the floats are amazing! Colorful, spectacular and interactive (the wheel at the Toy Story float, the ship at the Peter Pan-float, the fire of the Malifcent-dragon).

But the parade does seem smaller then the previous one - which is a shame after so much years waiting. The princess carriages are also a letdown. We already saw them for so many years. Why not change them in something different if they wanted to use them again (like little pre-floats of the mainfloats)? There are rumors there is a princess float coming in 2018. This would be a good thing since it would make the parade a little longer and the princess carriages can dissappear (or remade) so the parade looks completely new.

There also seemed to be more dancers in the previous parade, but I do believe there is enough dancing. However, I find the opening dancers a little confusing... The Mary Poppins & Bert, Aladdin & Genie, Alice & Madhatter. I don't understand why they let them dance before the parade (and why these characters?). I believe they look a little lost, all other characters make part of a float... If the intention was to show some characters that are often seen in Disneyland Paris, I would have preferred characters from every land (Mary Poppins for Main Street, Tiana for Frontierland, Aladdin for Adventureland, Alice for Fantasyland & Stitch for Discoveryland). Maybe even with some signs from the different lands. Together with some dancers, they could make a great pre-parade before the Mickey-float...

claire2281

There are still strong rumours that the princess float will be coming next year to replace the current carriages.

The Lion King float has a new engine and seems to be running well now.

The current known 'issues' are more due to weather considerations - the wheel on the Toy Story float can't run if it's too hot (due to the health of the performers) or rainy (too slippery). There's little they can do about this. The other big one is running Maleficent in the rain - apparently the issue is the driver has no cover and they can't see where they're going if it rains! This supposedly will be sorted so she can be out during bad weather.
My Trips:

A&S&O

Just seen the parade and agree with a lot of the comments here.

Spectacular floats, best seen from a distance (although then you can't see the street performers).

Totally unmemorable music.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

DisneyDuffer

I have been visiting Disneyland Paris annually since 1997 and I am therefore in the older age bracket as my children are now in their late twenties. I am afraid that I do not like the music and I cannot recall the tune or any lyrics so it is not so enjoyable as the previous parades, I remember all the previous tunes.  I do however love the floats which are vibrant and fun.

mackemlad79

guest10620

Agreed. Don't know anyone who hated Magic on parade but plenty who hate the new one. It's marmite.