Blast from the Past - Vintage EuroDisney Paris 1994

Started by Anonymous, May 15, 2007, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Having got all my recent holiday pictures out of the way, I've finally gotten around to scanning in some old photographs from Disneyland Paris back in 1994.

This was my first ever visit to Disneyland Paris, just two years after the Park had opened. I'd persuaded a group of friends to go across for a long weekend on a coach trip, organised by a local tour operator.

Unfortunately, the planning of the trip was not the greatest, and there were a few disasters, but the trip to Disneyland was still magical.

At this time, there was only 1 park open, the Disneyland Park. I don't recall the Disney Village being as developed as it is now, although it appears bigger than I remember in the brochures. That being said, I only briefly passed through on my way into the Park.

The pictures are not as good as my recent photo's, taken as they are on a 35mm automatic camera. My photography has improved over recent years, and so please excuse these somewhat amateurish attempts, complete with off centre images, and people's heads being caught in front of the subject in some cases, or out of focus images. In some ways, this adds to the charm of these pictures though.

In the pictures of Discoveryland, Space Mountain was only just being built, and you can still see scaffolding in some shots.

There are also some scans of old style park tickets (these were like a plastic credit card), and the old park guide.

Hope you enjoy the pictures:-

Anthony

Best. Post. Ever! :shock:

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, Dark_Prince!  I love seeing old photos from DLP pre-2000 (my first visit).  Those parade photos are priceless - knights on horses in front of Sleeping Beauty?! Wow!! :D

Anonymous

I got these albums out again recently, not having seen them for some time. (I think the last time I looked was when I first went back in March 06). I was quite surprised to see the Knights on real horses - I'd completely forgot about that. And the old parade floats, and The Little Mermaid float with the boat instead of the clamshell.

And although they're really fuzzy, and got the backs of people's heads on them, I love the pics of the old Beauty and the Beast show. For those wondering, this used to be held in the Videopolis theatre where Legend of the Lion King plays now! Of course, The Lion King hadn't come out at this time!

Apologies if they take awhile to load. I decided against doing them as thumbnails, as I have with my recent pics, as they aren't as big, and I thought the thread had a bit more impact like this, and was worth the wait.

:)

shell_ely

wow they are great i love the maps and tickets  :ears:

the parade pics are cool  
 :ears:

very kind of you to share them with us all

Anonymous

Well, I've been off work sick for a couple of days. Not really felt up to revision today as I've had a bit of a migraine, so I thought I'd scan and upload these photo's which I've been promising to do for a while.

davewasbaloo

Ah, the days when DLP had quality entertainment and streetmousphere.  Sadly by the time a number of the fans on the web had gone, most of this had disappeared.  Oh, well.  There are encouraging signs that DLP may be bringing the Disney experience back!
since 2001 (many before that)

miss disney fan

amazing pics dark, and the cameras not show bad, it amazes me all the detail disney can put into things when your looking at the old floats, the dumbo float made me laugh, but when you think of the peter pan float in 1994 and todays peter pan float in OUAD parade, how they are the same film but the floats nothing like each other , i suppose thats the  magic of disney  :)

kurgly_bird

fab pics prince, reminds me of my first visit, though mine was in 97! sorry to hear you're not well :( n revision is so annoying. not been having a great week myself, my bf of 19 months dumped me 2 weeks ago n i just found out he's already dating again :( (sorry for goin off topic)

Anonymous

Well, I was very impressed with the Park on my first visit, back in 1994. I would have been 24 then. Sadly it took me 12 years to finally return to the Park, though I'm making up for it now.

I must admit, that although I really enjoyed it in March 06, I didn't think the Park was as clean as it had been in the early days, and I thought some of the lustre had worn off. Having said that, it made enough of an impression on me to want to return this year.

But this year, I thought things had really improved, and they seemed to be gearing up for a wonderful anniversary year, and things were returning to the parks earlier glory. But with more attractions, and more characters. I was so impressed in March this year, that I very quickly booked to go back in September.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kurgly_bird"fab pics prince, reminds me of my first visit, though mine was in 97! sorry to hear you're not well :( n revision is so annoying. not been having a great week myself, my bf of 19 months dumped me 2 weeks ago n i just found out he's already dating again :( (sorry for goin off topic)

Ah well. You've always got Disney. And someday your Prince will come!

:lol:

Glad everyone's enjoying the pics. It makes the effort this afternoon worthwhile.

:D

kurgly_bird

Quote from: "Dark_Prince"
Quote from: "kurgly_bird"fab pics prince, reminds me of my first visit, though mine was in 97! sorry to hear you're not well :( n revision is so annoying. not been having a great week myself, my bf of 19 months dumped me 2 weeks ago n i just found out he's already dating again :( (sorry for goin off topic)

Ah well. You've always got Disney. And someday your Prince will come!

:lol:

Glad everyone's enjoying the pics. It makes the effort this afternoon worthwhile.

:D

Hopefully :)

RocketBabyDoll

Thanks a lot for these pictures! I looked at my old photos too sometime ago, they are also from 1994-1998 I guess. So that's the park as I know it. But your pics are way better than mine, because mine show mostly family and strange places like bridges and benches and stuff. :lol: I actually didn't know they don't use the credit card tickets anymore, what do you get now? And I think my sister also has some old guides somewhere.
Don\'t waste your time or time will waste you

Anonymous

The tickets these days are just a piece of thin card. They are okay, but when you're there for a week, and using the ticket daily, and hopping between parks, and getting fastpasses, they can soon start to wear. I wish they did these old style ones still with pics of the characters on, because I think they're quite collectable. Love the Ariel one I've got.

GeoffD

Thanks for this post. disneyland has sure changed.

My first visit was 1999 they were still using Plastic tickets then..

skalos

Great photos!!!! Wow... memories!!! I have to find some photos from my visit in 1993 and post them...