Will Discoveryland Morph into Star Wars Land?

Started by A&S&O, October 10, 2016, 10:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A&S&O

Do people think Discoveryland will lose its identity and maybe disappear altogether?

Star Tours has always been a bit out of place there and not in keeping with the Jules Verne theme, which will be compounded when the revamped ride and expanded theming is opened.
When they retheme Space Mountain, that will be another piece gone.  Buzz, Hyperion, Autopia and the station don't resonate the theme so aren't particularly linked.
Which just leaves Nautilus and Orbitron - will they be consumed into a Star Wars theme?
Will they do away with the Discoveryland name altogether?

Although way too late, the solution would have been to move Star Tours to the Studios and develop a Star Wars and around it. Star Wars fans would have been happy, Discoveryland fans would have been happy and the Studios would have been revitalized.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Puffin

In a certain way Discoveryland already lost its identity, so transforming it into a Star Wars theme might revive that whole corner of the corner and make it a more consistent zone just like the other lands of the Park.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

msRavenswood

I love how unique our Discoveryland is (was?) and I love all things steampunk, so I'd be a little upset if they changed it into a Star Wars land. It should have been brought to WDS and breathe new life into it.

Rocketeer

Given Burbank's recent lassiez-faire attitude to existing themes with the Guardians overlay of the Tower of Terror (DCA), I certainly wouldn't put it past them to make Discoveryland into Star Wars Lite.

In an ideal world, we would have Star Wars Land (and a Marvel Land) in the Studios, with Star Tours being relocated.

If they have to change Discoveryland, then it would be great if they relocated Buzz into Toy Story Playland. (Perhaps at the expense of adding Midway Mania, but we can accept that if we were having big Marvel E-tickets).

Sadly though, in reality, we'll probably end up with Star Tours, Hyperspace Mt. and whatever will become of the Pizza Planet resuarant sort of tacked on to the Jules Verne inspired land.

Logic seems to be a thing of the past these days.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Realistically we have not got the budget, I think for now we're doing the half bothered job, IE we tack Star Wars onto existing buildings that do not fit at all. Jedi Training in the Hyperion, Star Tours at the back corner and Hyperspace in Space Mountain.

I don't think we'll ever completely change it, but I think that back corner (especially with Pizza Planet now gone will eventually become Star Wars land. I believe there is room for expansion back there so I'd like us to build some new rides and that to make it a proper land, the rest of Discoveryland is where they need to make a decision and I'm fine either way.