Pirates of the Caribbean 2017 refurbishment (EEP)

Started by msRavenswood, July 28, 2016, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickey1980

Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

msRavenswood

Quote from: mickey1980 on July 30, 2016, 12:17:52 PM
"Disneyland is not a museum".

Agreed, but I believe some things are better left untouched.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mickey1980 on July 30, 2016, 12:17:52 PM
"Disneyland is not a museum".
I agree. Change is good, especially if it makes a ride like Pirates of the Caribbean seem brand new.

Rocketeer

A change for changes sake is not always a great thing.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 31, 2016, 06:52:54 PM
A change for changes sake is not always a great thing.

Is it really that though? I mean I remember my first visit in 2011, I was excited to go on and see Captain Jack and the like and I was only about 11 or 12 then, I was horribly disappointed that they weren't there. You cannot call a ride PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN and then not have the characters from the movies, if the ride has a different name then its more do-able.

I think at the end of the day DLP have to focus on impressing the general public,not hardcore park goers like many on here that go yearly or more often than that even since that is where most of their money comes from, they have to move with the times and do things to impress people. Remember riding say Snow White or Pirates for the first time and having that "WOW" feeling, well that's what they need and for many people the ride as it is doesn't give them that. Shanghai's version DEFINITELY does, the Jack and skeleton effect, Davy Jones, battle scene etc. has that WOW factor for sure, Disneyland is always changing, Walt himself I think would be a little annoyed that some of his original rides (Snow White, Pinnochio etc.) have remained mostly unchanged since the 1950s...

ChipandDale99

Though I agree it's cool that POTC at dlp is the still like what Disney based the films on and now I appreciate that. I do also agree with mrpiggywinkles. Most people, especially young children don't realise it's actually the original and are upset with the lack of characters. The "captain jack fighting Will turner" (or meant to be) scene wasn't even there.
So I'm on both sides. I should definetely be refurbished and I think captain jack and other characters should be added. But I also think not too much should be done. like, I think they should keep the original music. ( and if it's too technical it will just keep breaking, like ratatouille, it broke at least once a day when I went)

msRavenswood

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 01, 2016, 04:11:47 PM

You cannot call a ride PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN and then not have the characters from the movies, if the ride has a different name then its more do-able.

But it was the movies that were based on the ride, not vice versa. The ride has been called The Pirates of the Caribbean since the very beginning, it's the rightful owner of the name and it doesn't need characters and elements from the movies to justify it.

Rocketeer

^Agreed.

I guess it all depends on when you first went on the attraction - before or after the movies. It then has a bearing on what you think the attraction should include. (Think of it the same as "the best James Bond". We all have an opinion based on who portrayed him when we were growing up.)

As I have opined before (and as MsRavenswood said above me), the attraction is what the films are based on, not the other way around. Therefore it's focus should not be on the film characters. Should they be in the attraction? Reluctantly, yes but with the caveat that they are not the sole focus of the attraction.

I know I'm repeating myself, but does Phantom Manor need a Jim Evers AA? Why no Frank Walker AA in 'it's a small world'?

Trouble is these days, it seems that there is a perception (not soley confined to Burbank) that any attraction must have a character element to be entertaining. That's why 70% of EPCOT is no longer what it was. Same as why DCA's ToT is getting the most ludicrous overlay.

At the risk of sounding like the resident old fart, there were far less characters in attractions years ago and we all still had the most fantastic and magical time.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: ChipandDale99 on August 01, 2016, 08:01:50 PM
Though I agree it's cool that POTC at dlp is the still like what Disney based the films on and now I appreciate that. I do also agree with mrpiggywinkles. Most people, especially young children don't realise it's actually the original and are upset with the lack of characters. The "captain jack fighting Will turner" (or meant to be) scene wasn't even there.
So I'm on both sides. I should definetely be refurbished and I think captain jack and other characters should be added. But I also think not too much should be done. like, I think they should keep the original music. ( and if it's too technical it will just keep breaking, like ratatouille, it broke at least once a day when I went)
All new rides break down a lot though. That's nothing new. When I went to Disneyland Paris in 2007, Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast was always breaking down.

Sulley's Arms

I'm really enjoying this thread!

I read one post and agree with some of the points made, then read the next post with opposing views and also agree with some of the points.

I feel that the comment about the ludicrous ToT Guardians overlay sums it all up - I have concerns that the current Disney heads are taking the park theming down completely the wrong road.  Of course, it could simply be that I just miss the point (the big picture, as it were).  However, the POTC retheme shouldn't actually have to take place - as said above the films are based on the original ride, not vice versa.  The only reason the DLP version now needs the upgrade is because compared to the others around the world it now looks lame (but only in relative terms).

Haha, I've just realised that because of the rumoured massive AP price hikes coming later this year, it's unlikely I'll be able to go again any time soon anyways!!  So I'll just shut up now...!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

disneymagic006

Oh I'm so torn about this. I love the ride in its original form and on one hand think they would be better just ensuring that everything works as it should do. The animatronics have needed work for a while and there are always some missing.

At the same time I love the movies and am excited to see captain jack and the black pearl being introduced.

Overall I think I am quite excited to see the change but just hope it is conducted well, I need to see that the screens are well integrated into the existing set up so it is seamless. If they are not working at any point they may stand out as an eyesore.

If the pirates movie theme tune will be used that's great, it's exciting and will make a fun addition,  but don't let it drown the subtle sounds of the original attraction, the quiet hums, the cannonballs, the dialogue - we want the redhead!

Did we have bats before on the lift, seem to recall them seemingly flying around? Maybe just my imagination from seeing their eyes!

Definately glad the upgrade is seeing better boat safety being prioritised. Jolts from other boats have sent us flying in the past and on one occasion one of the kids in our party got scared and wanted to jump over the top of the bars to sit with someone else - scary moment, has to hold him down sharpish. It was right on the cusp of the big dip!

Super excited about the meet and greet with captain jack, never seen him despite looking all over and would so love to!!!
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

Holmey

Well all I know is I'm just super-excited about the anniversary year and we will hopefully all enjoy it whatever the final attraction does have when it re-opens whatever our opinions are, and kids and grown ups alike will also....maybe we are over-thinking it....opinions will differ but the main thing is the "Disney" experience carries on for us all..!

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: disneymagic006 on August 02, 2016, 10:45:13 AM

Definately glad the upgrade is seeing better boat safety being prioritised. Jolts from other boats have sent us flying in the past and on one occasion one of the kids in our party got scared and wanted to jump over the top of the bars to sit with someone else - scary moment, has to hold him down sharpish. It was right on the cusp of the big dip!

Don't you kind of want it to send you flying out of your seat though? That's part of the fun.

A&S&O

Quote from: Holmey on August 02, 2016, 01:38:51 PM
Well all I know is I'm just super-excited about the anniversary year and we will hopefully all enjoy it whatever the final attraction does have when it re-opens whatever our opinions are, and kids and grown ups alike will also....maybe we are over-thinking it....opinions will differ but the main thing is the "Disney" experience carries on for us all..!
If the AP price hike goes ahead we won't be visiting during the 25th anniversary.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on August 02, 2016, 02:09:36 PM
Don't you kind of want it to send you flying out of your seat though? That's part of the fun.

I agree!  :P