(Rumour) Guardians of the Galaxy retheme for Tower of Terror?

Started by Rocketeer, March 23, 2016, 02:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

Various fan sites are reporting on a rumour that DCA's and possibly WDS' Tower of Terror is going to be rethemed to a Guardian of the Galaxy attraction.

Via Disney & More and Screamscape:
QuoteSo far the idea is just a proposal... an incredibly insane idea, if you ask me. And this would be done to have a new Marvel themed attraction for Disney California Adventure and the Walt Disney Studios Paris parks.
According to Screamscape, one theory that he heard "seems to try to use The Collector character (Benicio Del Toro) in a similar fashion to Lord Henry Mystic from Hong Kong Disneyland's Mystic Manor. Guests, passing through a vault of The Collectors' rare artifacts disturb something they shouldn't that sends them on a wild adventure."
Lance also heard that the concept "has been pitched as both a permanent change as well as just a temporary overlay over the existing attraction".

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

rebecca20

It is insane - I personally don't even see how the retheme would work on that sort of ride into a GotG or any other movie.

Let's hope it's just a rumour.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

15stitch

I've seen this on another forum as well and I really, really, really hope they don't do it!

Terrible idea!
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

MickeyAteMyCap

This would actually make me want to go to the Tower of Terror. Guardians of the Galaxy is my favourite MCU film.

mickey1980

April fools is coming early this year. What a terrible idea.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

Quote from: mickey1980 on March 23, 2016, 07:06:42 PM
April fools is coming early this year. What a terrible idea.
;D

I did have to check the calendar myself. I do wonder though if this was one of those suggestions that was supposed to be just that. They have no intention to actually do it, but they have to challenge themselves to see if/how they can.

Well here's hoping anyway...

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

MickeyAteMyCap

I can see why they'd do it - attract more people to the park and ride itself.

Rocketeer

Whilst I can't disagree on that, I think this rumour is more about them 'quickly' adding more Marvel into the parks - particularity the US ones.

DCA doesn't have much more room for expansion, whereas WDS' has plenty of room for all sorts of Marvel based attractions.

Wedmad

No................. Don't mess with one of the best themed rides in the park.

Not a marvel fan, don't like the idea, so as they say on dragons den, I am out

Paul

SwipatronSparks

past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

Rocketeer

To be honest, if they're going to use The Collector and the same premise as Mystic Manor, then why not build 'Guardians-Mystic Manor' in the Studios?

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on March 27, 2016, 01:38:06 PM
To be honest, if they're going to use The Collector and the same premise as Mystic Manor, then why not build 'Guardians-Mystic Manor' in the Studios?
Or make a dark Guardians of the Galaxy ride with animatronics telling the story of the first Guardians movie, complete with Awesome Mix Volume 1.

mrpiggywinkles52

I think this rumour is possible for Disney's California adventure since their backlot is likely to become Marvel Land after Star Wars land is finished construction and Tower of Terror's placement means it wouldn't fit thematically. But here there is no chance of this happening.

Think about it, even before WDSP was opened the Tower was planned to be the centrepiece of the park, much like the castle in the main park, it'd look weird to have a Marvel ride there. ToT fits the theme of the park better, is much more iconic and has much more staying power than Guardians of the Galaxy. Not to mention DLP doesn't have the budget and would rather spend it elsewhere.

I still think marvel is Backlot bound and as such it would be silly to have the Tower also be marvel.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 05, 2016, 02:55:33 PM
I think this rumour is possible for Disney's California adventure since their backlot is likely to become Marvel Land after Star Wars land is finished construction and Tower of Terror's placement means it wouldn't fit thematically. But here there is no chance of this happening.

Think about it, even before WDSP was opened the Tower was planned to be the centrepiece of the park, much like the castle in the main park, it'd look weird to have a Marvel ride there. ToT fits the theme of the park better, is much more iconic and has much more staying power than Guardians of the Galaxy. Not to mention DLP doesn't have the budget and would rather spend it elsewhere.

I still think marvel is Backlot bound and as such it would be silly to have the Tower also be marvel.
Personally, I don't see the Tower as Walt Disney Studio's castle. It doesn't have that iconography to me.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 05, 2016, 08:19:02 PM
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 05, 2016, 02:55:33 PM

Personally, I don't see the Tower as Walt Disney Studio's castle. It doesn't have that iconography to me.

People may not see it that way, certainly it isn't as iconic but I do think that is the intention, look at how it looms over the hub for example, not sure about WDSP but I know that Disney's Hollywood studios in Florida has began using it instead of their old hat symbol on merchandise like the Animal kingdom uses that big tree or EPCOT uses Spaceship earth.

Not to mention there are rumours of seasonal projection shows on the Tower coming soon, which reinforces my idea here.