Queues - how to keep a 4 year old amused!

Started by DisneyM79, February 02, 2016, 11:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyM79

So never having been to a theme park before with my 4 year old daughter (other than Peppa Pig World) lol! which is not exactly on the same par with anything Disney! Does anyone have any tips on how to keep them entertained whilst queuing? Also my daughter does get tired so are you allowed to queue with the pushchair?

We are going at the beginning of May so hoping the queues will be a lot quieter then!
'Have Courage and Be Kind'

stifle

Pushchairs are not allowed in queues. You need to park them up in the designated parking bay whilst you go on most attractions.

Several rides such as Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast have interesting theming/props/distractions in the queueing area. For others, you'll need to figure something out such as a toy or electronic gadget.

Zee79

We just play little games with them, like simply eye spy, since they are getting older now we play stop the bus etc. It can be a long wait even for older kids & adults.

True-lifeadventures

Speaking as a 30 year old child, get Heads Up on your phone. It's basically Charades but it keeps you entertained during long queues. You can download complete sets or if you pay 69p you can make your own, which is a lot funner as you can have Disney characters or people you know!
Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/heads-up!/id623592465?mt=8
Click the image below to visit our Vlog channel

WDW - Sept 2013. DLP - Dec 2013. DLP - Dec 2014. DLC - May 2015. DLP - Nov 2015. DLP - Jan 2016. WDW - Sept 2016

EmmaH

Snacks! My children now aged 9,7 and 5 and were 6,4 and 2 when they first went are easily distracted with snacks however we have always visited in January where the queues are maximum 10-15 minutes for rides - most are walk on at that time of year.
I did find it difficult queuing with my two boys for BTM as all they wanted to do was bicker : )
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2016
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2015
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2014
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2013

disneysteph

Can one parent cue while the other takes the kids for a walk about?  Or will people get pissed off when you come back to the cue? :-[

rebecca20

Quote from: disneysteph on February 03, 2016, 09:38:14 PM
Can one parent cue while the other takes the kids for a walk about?  Or will people get pissed off when you come back to the cue? :-[

You could do it but people won't be happy.  Tbh I would be annoyed if someone did because I managed with my godsons who were only 2 and 1 at the time, we always let them take a new toy with them to keep them distracted but with all attractions Disney tend to theme. If there's a genuine behavioural reason they can't queue then its best to get an access pass.

Most attractions have different 'areas' too again making life tricky. I.e. you queue then go through the turnstile to another queue.

The only other thing is to carefully plan and then huge queues can be avoided more or less.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

stifle

Quote from: disneysteph on February 03, 2016, 09:38:14 PM

That isn't really viable. You'd have to push through most of the queue on the way back and other guests will get annoyed.

grovesie

We had previously downloaded a few kids TV programmes and games to our mobile phones, works a treat