Wifi in the park launching Summer '16

Started by arvidbux, October 15, 2015, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arvidbux

This is great news for those people that don't want to put down a lot of cash to use a mobile data connection at the park (if even possible with the poor reception in some areas). Especially now with the new app that shows up-to-date waiting times, getting a data connection in the park is much needed.

Source: https://twitter.com/ED92live/status/654640428411711488

michaelj1973

Good to hear that. But a bit late for me as I'm there in December. But am to busy having fun to use the wifi. At night in the hotel wifi is enough for me  ;D ;D

Puffin

Good news for those who want the share the fun instantly on Instagram or Snapchat. And I guess it's a welcome passtime in the longer queues too. But still, let's keep the eyes on the magic instead of our screens. :)
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

stifle

It makes little difference to me – I have a mobile contract with 3 who considers France and 17 other countries to be domestic and does not charge anything more for roaming there than you would pay at home.

It will be interesting to see the impact, and particularly the speed.

arvidbux

Quote from: stifle on October 15, 2015, 06:45:02 PM
It makes little difference to me – I have a mobile contract with 3 who considers France and 17 other countries to be domestic and does not charge anything more for roaming there than you would pay at home.
3 from the UK? I had that one before and I loved it. I have Project Fi now which is also great.

Quote from: stifle on October 15, 2015, 06:45:02 PM
It will be interesting to see the impact, and particularly the speed.
True, in WDW according to my wife, the speed is horrible.

Quote from: Puffin on October 15, 2015, 04:10:38 PM
Good news for those who want the share the fun instantly on Instagram or Snapchat. And I guess it's a welcome passtime in the longer queues too. But still, let's keep the eyes on the magic instead of our screens. :)
True, but using the DLP app etc, would be welcome as well.

stifle

Yes it's a UK 3 contract. It's also valid at HKDL, WDWR and DLR, but sadly not in Tōkyō which was my most recent park visit.

arvidbux

Quote from: stifle on October 15, 2015, 07:25:39 PM
Yes it's a UK 3 contract. It's also valid at HKDL, WDWR and DLR, but sadly not in Tōkyō which was my most recent park visit.
Even at DLR? Man.. Wish the Dutch carriers would come up with something like that. Now I just use Project Fi which is $10/Gb.

samuelvictor

Excellent news!  ;D Wifi in the parks is sorely missing. It will help make the app more useful, help promotion with people sharing selfies and pictures etc in real time, and also will stop boredom whilst queuing! ...of course, this should have happened at least 3 years ago  ::), but thank goodness that since the re-structuring Disney are fixing these niggling issues at last  :D

Remco K.

Quote from: arvidbux on October 15, 2015, 06:59:47 PM
True, in WDW according to my wife, the speed is horrible.
I found the speed in WDW acceptable. On crowded spots it won't let you use apps like FaceTime, but that's not the end of the world.

I hope DLP will get some of the MyMagic+ functions one day.

Mileto

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

MickeyAteMyCap

Brilliant idea. As I have said before, free Wi-Fi can be very useful if you accidentally lose your park map or you're bored waiting for your food to arrive at lunch.

MattR

Quote from: stifle on October 15, 2015, 07:25:39 PM

I have never seen any wifi that is meant to be used by the public in Tokyo Disneyland and I´ve been there just this year two times.

stifle

Sorry if I've been unclear, but I'm not talking about wifi. I'm talking about 3G/4G internet over my mobile phone. As a customer of the UK network 3, I'm entitled to use the service in 18 other countries, including France, the USA, and Hong Kong at no extra cost and as though I was at home.

MattR

I would be really surprised if any carrier from outside Japan would have such an agreement with a japanese carrier.

Everything is special there, if someone would have told somebody from Docomo or Softbank three years ago that they now sell prepaid data sim cards to foreigners they probably would have thought that this someone has lost his or her mind.

Remco K.

As of this week, Disney's Hotel Santa Fé also provides WiFi. This service is free of charge and offered by all 7 Disney hotels. Free WiFi is also available at part of Disney Village and the bar at Golf Disneyland.

Only the parks are yet to follow. :)