DLP Experience Enhancement Plan: key details revealed

Started by Anthony, June 10, 2015, 08:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msRavenswood

Quote from: DennisTinderbox on June 11, 2015, 03:09:16 PM
I'm very exited about this news! I hope this is a start to dragging the park back to its former glory.
DLP is still one of the best imagineered Magic Kingdoms in the world. But poorly management throughout the years let her slip into decay a bit. Although recently they're doing quite well with all the refurbishments. So I'm feeling confident that with a bit of hard work they could pull it of! :)

However, I still wonder:

-Will Space Mountain really be restored to be more like La terre de la lune?
The only specific things mentioned are the lighting, safety, new coaches, and a revamp of the exterior decors. I hope they'll bring back mission 1 because it was so much more immersive and fitting with the rest of Discoveryland.

-New color palette for the facade of It's a Small World.
What do you guys think? Will it be more vibrantly colored, or more soothing pastel taints? Or maybe even White and gold like Anaheim's. :o

- Big Thunder Mountain
The eardrum shattering antirollback on the lifthills always bothered me. Now they are planning on special effects in there, I certainly hope they will do something about the noise. I've done enough Vekoma beasts to know they can be quite silent. (Both Python and Revolution, though older, purr like a kitten in comparison to BTM.)

- Cap'n Jack joins the Pirates of the Caribbean
For once I'm not sure how to feel about this. Just like StarTours I am proud we still have the "original" versions.
But on the other hand, time does move on. And so do peoples expectations. I can fully understand the disappointment from guests expecting jolly ol' Jack waving his cutlass in the face of Barbosa. As long as they don't change to much of the original ride (music & decors), the crew of the Black Pearl is very welcome.

So, what are your expectations or hopes for the refurbishments? And do you think putting the parks in a crazy buildmode for several years is a wise decision?

The Small World facade colours will be more vibrant. As for the eardrum shuttering sound, as you call it, of BTM I've always considered it as one of those charming elements of the attraction. But that's just my personal opinion.  :D

Spacepilot

Big Thunder Mountain
The eardrum shattering antirollback on the lifthills always bothered me. Now they are planning on special effects in there, I certainly hope they will do something about the noise. I've done enough Vekoma beasts to know they can be quite silent. (Both Python and Revolution, though older, purr like a kitten in comparison to BTM.)
-------------------------------------

I strongly disagree. Keep the noise. It adds very much to the atmosphere, since it's a mine train.

A&S&O

Does anyone think that Star Tours and Star Wars Land would sit better in the Studios park?

I know its not going to happen, but worth discussing?

I think a lot of the changes will appeal to Disney fans more that they will to Disney Park fans - Jack Sparrow, Disney Characters in Small World, Star Wars Land, Cars makeover for Catastrophe Canyon.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

msRavenswood

Quote from: A&S&O on June 12, 2015, 11:55:14 AM
Does anyone think that Star Tours and Star Wars Land would sit better in the Studios park?

It's true that they don't fit with the overall steampunk theming of Discoveryland, but I guess we're all used to it. In an ideal world they would be relocated to WDS, but what kind of ride could take their place? Perhaps Journey to the Centre of the Earth just like at Tokyo Disney Sea?

I think a lot of the changes will appeal to Disney fans more that they will to Disney Park fans - Jack Sparrow, Disney Characters in Small World, Star Wars Land, Cars makeover for Catastrophe Canyon.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more! But Disney is a company and they are mostly insterested in making money, so they prefer satisfying the general population instead of us romantic fools...

A&S&O

Quote from: msRavenswood on June 12, 2015, 01:23:13 PM

It's true that they don't fit with the overall steampunk theming of Discoveryland, but I guess we're all used to it. In an ideal world they would be relocated to WDS, but what kind of ride could take their place? Perhaps Journey to the Centre of the Earth just like at Tokyo Disney Sea?

I was more thinking that Star Wars doesn't fit in with the whole Disney Park idea at all.

Quote from: msRavenswood on June 12, 2015, 01:23:13 PM
Yeah, I couldn't agree more! But Disney is a company and they are mostly insterested in making money, so they prefer satisfying the general population instead of us romantic fools...

Ahh, you say the nicest things.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

rikush

Well,

I'm very excited to see everything is being put in it's original state again and even improved!!

Can't wait for the new Star Tours...

I was on "The Last Tour to Endor" -event in the USA when Star Tours closed and it was awesome!!!
Hope Paris will also do an event like that... Would love it!!

Better start packing my stormtrooper (Yes, I am a real star wars-geek and part of the 501st legion :))) )

Very, veeeeery excited!

Discovery_Mountain

Quote from: msRavenswood on June 11, 2015, 04:54:39 PM
The Small World facade colours will be more vibrant. As for the eardrum shuttering sound, as you call it, of BTM I've always considered it as one of those charming elements of the attraction. But that's just my personal opinion.  :D

Agreeded I really like how loud the antiroll backs are, really puts you in the setting.
My Disneyland Paris Trips:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (1 Day Trips)

March 2012, 2 days at Kyriad Hotel
June 2013, 2 days at Dream Castle Hotel
December 2013, 6 days at Sequoia Lodge
December 2014, 6 days at The Disneyland Hotel
December 2015 6 Days at Sequoia Lodge GF

Planned Holidays:
February 2016 - 3 days at Sequoia Lodge GF
November 2016 - Walt Disney World  (Maybe)

Rocketeer

Indeed.
I had an idea this morning... but I got the hotels mixed up. I though it was the Santa Fe that was having the "major change", turns out it was the Cheyenne. ::) Anywho... I was adding 2+2 and getting Episode VII. I thought they could have gone for a Star Wars theme on the Santa Fe. Although who'd really want to stay at Mos Eisley?

The Star Wars Land would be a big bonus for the Studio. Actually, even if they just relocated Star Tours, that'd be a great addition to the park.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

DisneyRon

Given that the Studios attractions have a movie focus, having Star Wars in that park would make the most sense. However, I doubt they'll do that. Besides, they're already putting the Jedi Academy in Discoveryland, that would also need to move if you create a Star Wars section in the Studios. :)
And what would they do with that giant empty corner of Discoveryland? You'd need a major new attraction to fill all that empty space.

Santa Fé as a Mos Eisley or Star Wars themed resort is a neat idea though, you could do a lot with that.
Though as you said, there are more interesting locations in the Star Wars universe to visit. :)

Rocketeer

^I agree, the possibility of Star Wars Land in the Studios is a very slim one, it is more likely that that back portion of Discoveryland will eventually get converted to a version of Star Wars Land. Especially if they do add one to Disneyland, CA.

That then leads me to believe that they will add more Marvel to the Studios, and maybe even a Marvel Land. But I'm thinking that's post the Resorts 25th Anniversary.

The Studios do turn 20 in '22 so perhaps there's a target for major changes to that park?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

DisneyGagaChick

I am really happy to hear that Jack Sparrow is coming to POTC!  ;D

I went on Star Tours The Adventure Continues in HS, WDW and thought it was brilliant!

Although, I don't want them to add Disney characters to It's A Small World..  ::)

SophieMiddleton

The possibility of characters in IASW doesn't bother me so much, I'm just relieved they're keeping the colours and not changing it to the white and gold  :) I may be biased but I think the exterior of the ride is so much better in Disneyland Paris!

Rocketeer

OK a bit of wishful thinking time. Now the details of Shanghai Disneyland have been announced, would anyone like any of these attractions to appear at the resort?

https://youtu.be/rayJWFrUlj8

DisneyRon

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 16, 2015, 09:18:48 PM
OK a bit of wishful thinking time. Now the details of Shanghai Disneyland have been announced, would anyone like any of these attractions to appear at the resort?

I think WDW is already planning (or even starting) TRON ride construction (though we'll know more after D23). It wouldn't be too far fetched to see a TRON ride eventually coming to Disney Studios as well, there's plenty of room for it.

As for the Mickey Avenue, that's their replacement of Mainstreet USA, so that won't show up anywhere primarily because I assume it was designed like this to keep the Chinese government happy, rather than anything else.

A Soaring type attraction is also quite a likely thing to show up at DLP eventually, they're very popular, and I imagine you can make an awesome film for it flying over the European countryside. :D

Rocketeer

I wonder if the Marvel Land, not detailed in the announcement, could also make its way in some form or another at the Studios?