Space Mountain: Mission 2 enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by *TIMMIE*, October 07, 2014, 09:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacepilot

It's probably a personal thing if it "hurts like hell". Last year when I visited I was a bit dizzy for a few minutes afterwards, but that's all. I'm also normal posture and around 1.80. On the other hand, I'm not really experienced what a rollercoaster is supposed to feel like.

Either way, Im sure it will be smoother with the NEW trains. Hopefully also with better and louder speakers.
Do these MK1212 trains have "standard speakers" they use in this model or will they be custom made for Space Mountain? Does anyone know?

*TIMMIE*

It is optional. The new trains on Speed of Sound in Walibi Holland have on board audio. The new trains on Python in Efteling doesn't have it.

twentythingamabobs

This is brilliant news. I never got the chance to ride with the original theming so I hope they do bring some aspects back. The change of trains can't come quickly enough, I can't ride it anymore. Last time, I felt like my teeth were going to be rattled free of my head!

Esti

First time I rode I must have been around 1,45 m. I'm 1,65 m now and it hurt both times. If I had to say which hurt more, I'd say it was the old version, but it could be because I was shorter. Still, both hurt.
And it can't be personal because it's a common complaint, doesn't matter the intesity: hurt, unconfortable, whatever. Also, I love rollercoasters and have ridden them since I've been tall enough. I've never experieced anything close to Space Mountain. Ad I'm not talking about feeling dizzy, I alwas feel dizzy, but if it has loops and you get motion sickness, well, that's inevitable ;) Your head banging is not inevitable, though. RARC, Indiana Jones, and, well, most rollercoasters don't have that problem.

Discovery_Mountain

Vekoma coasters are renowned for gradually getting rougher and rougher as they get on, Iv always found you need to lean forward a little for a smoother ride (same with all the other Vekoma coasters) The only major complaint I had with SM is that after multiple rides you can really feel the where the restraints dig into your shoulders.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new trains are like. I do hope they theme them nicely.
My Disneyland Paris Trips:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (1 Day Trips)

March 2012, 2 days at Kyriad Hotel
June 2013, 2 days at Dream Castle Hotel
December 2013, 6 days at Sequoia Lodge
December 2014, 6 days at The Disneyland Hotel
December 2015 6 Days at Sequoia Lodge GF

Planned Holidays:
February 2016 - 3 days at Sequoia Lodge GF
November 2016 - Walt Disney World  (Maybe)

pialykke

Quote from: mickey1980 on October 09, 2014, 11:45:58 PM
I'm 1,82m normal posture and get an instant headache after riding this thing. Not fun at all.
Was there during the first year it opened (1995) and at opening party of Mission 2 (2005). It was always rough. But not painful. My best guess (from my experience) is that it started around 2010.

I'm exactly the same - 1,82, normal build - and I have never had such a headache as I did coming off this in March. I also had  my eyes shut the entire ride, and couldn't stand having my head back in the headrest, so I was straining my neck holding my head off it. Besides, the safetybars dug in to my shoulders so bad, I couldn't carry my bag on my shoulder for 3 weeks after, as it hurt too much!!!!!
I really hope the new trains are a lot better than the old ones! I will still be hesitant in trying it again after the refurb though, as that was the worst ride I have ever been on - ever!

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

Spacepilot

Do we know who is working on the update? The original imagineers or just someone "random"? It would be great to get some insight in what they are going to do apart from the trains. By now, they certainly have a final plan worked out...

Fever

I will be interested also to know if anyone from the original is involved. For me the queue line audio and ride area sound effects need to return too. Sadly I expect it will be a few months until the park give us anything official!

Whilst on Space Mountain (shameless plug I know), but I'm selling some old merch here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231390936017?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disneyland-Paris-Space-Mountain-Rain-Coat-/231390939639?

Welcome foolish mortals

Discovery_Mountain

I was chatting with its a CM on space mountain today and he seems to think that the new trains aren't coming until 2017.

I really don't see that happening though so espeIlly if star tours will be down for while to upgrade it.

Planned Holidays:

mickey1980

Any news whether they will upgrade (or downgrade  :P) the theming? Works are starting in less than 3 weeks.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Cringer

Space Mountain 2 was the first rollercoaster I ever rode, in July 2014. It blew my mind. I love it.

But when I got home after that first trip to DLP and learned that it wasn't a sequel to the American Space Mountains, but an original Verne-inspired ride at DLP, I was completely intrigued. I watched the BBC documentary about designing and building the ride and read a lot about it, and suddenly found myself wishing and hoping that perhaps for an anniversary or something, they might re-do the ride in its original format because it sounded so amazing!

Having read all this, and with an Annual Pass good until December 2015, I'm filled with an unreasonable amount of giddy hope!  ;D

Discovery_Mountain

The difference between De la terre à la lune and Mission 2 are astonishing considering its the same ride.

I really do feel quite lucky to have ridden it when it was in its prime. I'm going to go back over as soon as it reopens.  I think currently whatever they do has to be better then how it is currently.

I really hope the project is in good hands (It's a shame Tim Delaney is not longer with WDI)

Planned Holidays:

andrewuk

When I rode the original back in 2004 it was really showing its age and I was quite excited by mission 2, especially as the launch was going to be from the bottom of the cannon. As it turns out, that is the only improvement, it got worse in every other way. But it was only down for three months to put in Mission 2 so in six months they must be able to make a big change: lets hope its for the better (and some soft openings at the start of June would go down nicely!!).
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

DisneyDonna

I think the ride would be so much better if it wasn't as bumpy as it is now. It would make a huge difference if it was as smooth as RnRC.

sarahmumof4

On our first two trips to DLP we didn't get to ride SM , but feb 2014 we finally did

I agree totally with the comments about it being bumpy and having a headache afterwards , although I found it better when I kept my head pushed backwards against the seat .

We are looking at going to DLP Dec 2015 . When I was in the travel agents today they phoned disney to ask about family rooms , The person at disney advised the travel agent that SM will still be closed in December 2015 for its refurbishment .
No idea if that is true or not but thought I would pass on the information .
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄