My Hotel Review Sequoia Lodge

Started by bad-pink-tink, January 03, 2014, 02:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad-pink-tink

Stayed in Sequoia Lodge Christmas 2013. We were in one of the five lodges. The lodges are about a 5 minute walk down a path from the main reception area. When it rains, this path gathers alot of water in big puddles. The hotel is surrounded by huge pine trees and when walking from the lodges to the main building there is a lovely forest atmosphere.  In the dark it can be hard to find your way to the lodges both from the hotel reception and when walking the side path. The walk from Sierra lodge to Disneyland Hotel / park entrance took me about 15 minutes on my own, fast walking. It would take a bit longer with children. The breakfast is typical continental buffet, plenty of croissants, bread, good selection of cereals, cold meats, tea/ coffee and juice. The hotel public areas are on two different levels. The restaurants which face the lake are on a lower level to the reception / concierge/ bar areas which face the car park/ bus drop off/ lodges. The bar has a big open fire and is very homely and warm.

The rooms are Bambi themed and there is free WiFi in both the public areas of the hotel and in all the rooms. There are  2 double beds, a good sized table with 2 chairs and a chest of drawers where the TV is.  The bathroom area is divided in 2. The shower and toilet are together. The sink area is outside the door, and there is a safe and suitcase bench.  There is a retractable clothes line over the bath / shower.

When checking in we were given 1 hotel Easypass. This we needed to show for EMH and for access to to the pool area. We asked for a second one, as one day I went to EMH and my my mum wanted to use the pool.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

ed-uk

Nice to read your review, personally i prefer to stay in the main hotel and not the lodges but we've tried both. The Sequoia Lodge has been one of our favourite hotels for price and atmosphere and we've stayed there seven times. The restaurant also does a good dinner buffet with plenty of choice in the evenings, i would dine there again however we usually eat in the parks. The hotel bar has a big open fire and is homely and warm as you say, but i have found the service a bit slow but maybe we were unlucky. I would rather go to the bar in the Hotel New York.
We stayed there for the first time in 1996, in Yosemite Lodge and then after a gap in 2003 in the South Wing, 2004 in Yosemite Lodge again, 2007 North Wing, 2008 South Wing, 2009 North Wing. In 2012 we were booked in to Big Sur Lodge, athough our room had been refurbished we weren't happy with it. The hotel was very happy to help and we were up graded to a refurbished room in the South Wing. That's the only time we've asked for another room in all our visits.
We would happily stay at the Sequoia Lodge again, however this year i hope to stay at the Hotel New York which i like better. Dreaming of a third visit to the Disneyland Hotel and looking out for offers.
Ed & David

princessemily

We have stayed in Sequoia Lodge on 6 previous occasions, and have always stayed in the main building. When we go in February 2014, we will be staying in a lodge for the first time.  We have 4 kids, so need 2 rooms, so budget didn't stretch to main building this time. Hope we don't mind the walk to the main building for breakfast on the cold, dark mornings, that's my only concern.
Sequoia  Lodge - May 2004
NPBC- September 2005
SL - June 2006
SL- June 2007
Ch -December 2007
NY - September 2008
SL - March 2009
SL- March 2010
NY - March 2011
SL - January 2012
Ch - March 2012
NPBC -March 2013
SL - February 2014
Ch - February 2015
Ch - November 2015
NPBC -March 2016
NY - November 2016
SL - April 2017
SLGF - March 2018
NY - Nov 2018
Cheyenne - Nov 2019
NY Nov 2021

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: princessemily on January 03, 2014, 08:37:22 PM
We have stayed in Sequoia Lodge on 6 previous occasions, and have always stayed in the main building. When we go in February 2014, we will be staying in a lodge for the first time.  We have 4 kids, so need 2 rooms, so budget didn't stretch to main building this time. Hope we don't mind the walk to the main building for breakfast on the cold, dark mornings, that's my only concern.

You mind find it a tad quicker, the lodges are a lot smaller, and using the outside paths you can usually get to the restaurants quicker.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

ed-uk

And it makes for a slightly different experience if you stay in a lodge for a change, you see other parts of the hotel and it's quite peaceful round there after a busy day in the parks. I just prefer to have my room, restaurants and bar under one roof but i don't regret staying in a Lodge, the rooms look the same.
Ed & David

captain rocket

In November I stayed in a Golden Forest Room. The bedrooms are on the 6th floor of the main building and are as described by bad-pink-tink, there is no difference except the addition of a fancy coffee machine! We had a lake view room and this was really pleasant and a nice surprise as we had not paid extra for this!
The Golden Forest Lounge itself was quite interesting, but in my opinion, not worth the extra! The main advantage was that it was relatively peaceful and quiet compared to downstairs and there was plenty of character interaction if this is your thing! The breakfast is standard for the hotel. You can use the lounge all day and in the evening and it really is pleasant to walk back from the parks and then enjoy complimentary soft drinks or hot chocolate before turning in.If you are around the hotel at 16.00 there is a complimentary "High Tea" with pastries and hot drinks. We tried it one day, but I would rather have all my time in the parks, I can have pastries at home anytime!

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: captain rocket on January 04, 2014, 11:51:51 AM
In November I stayed in a Golden Forest Room. The bedrooms are on the 6th floor of the main building and are as described by bad-pink-tink, there is no difference except the addition of a fancy coffee machine! We had a lake view room and this was really pleasant and a nice surprise as we had not paid extra for this!
The Golden Forest Lounge itself was quite interesting, but in my opinion, not worth the extra! The main advantage was that it was relatively peaceful and quiet compared to downstairs and there was plenty of character interaction if this is your thing! The breakfast is standard for the hotel. You can use the lounge all day and in the evening and it really is pleasant to walk back from the parks and then enjoy complimentary soft drinks or hot chocolate before turning in.If you are around the hotel at 16.00 there is a complimentary "High Tea" with pastries and hot drinks. We tried it one day, but I would rather have all my time in the parks, I can have pastries at home anytime!

Nice to hear this perspective, what can you see from the room, i.e.: how far?
The Roundup

captain rocket

Hi Trekkie101. Sorry not to reply earlier, was watching my team in the FA cup at Port vale which is a fair haul from Cornwall! I have a fairly poor photo of the view from the room, but am having trouble loading it! I will get it on here as soon as I can.
FYI the view had the top of some trees to the right of the room above which I got panoramagique ascending, the centre of the view was lake Disney with the circus tent convention centre in the near distance and the Hollywood Tower Hotel in the far distance i could not see anything from Disneyland park! Not a vibrant view, but as Basil Fawlty would have said, what do you expect to see from a DLRP hotel window, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon or even herds of Wildebeest sweeping across the Serengeti!
As you could probably tell from my earlier post I like good value for money, must of us Cornish do! And I certainly would'nt pay extra for the view as I tend to spend very little time in my room at Disney.

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: captain rocket on January 06, 2014, 12:33:04 PM
Hi Trekkie101. Sorry not to reply earlier, was watching my team in the FA cup at Port vale which is a fair haul from Cornwall! I have a fairly poor photo of the view from the room, but am having trouble loading it! I will get it on here as soon as I can.
FYI the view had the top of some trees to the right of the room above which I got panoramagique ascending, the centre of the view was lake Disney with the circus tent convention centre in the near distance and the Hollywood Tower Hotel in the far distance i could not see anything from Disneyland park! Not a vibrant view, but as Basil Fawlty would have said, what do you expect to see from a DLRP hotel window, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon or even herds of Wildebeest sweeping across the Serengeti!
As you could probably tell from my earlier post I like good value for money, must of us Cornish do! And I certainly would'nt pay extra for the view as I tend to spend very little time in my room at Disney.

Glad to hear it honestly! :)
The Roundup

Aurora1

We also stayed at the Sequoia, in october last year. We also had booked Golden Forest Club. And we also got a lake view room without having booked one. They weren`t even half booked up in GFC.
We enjoyed the Lounge a lot. In the afternoon there was tea time, got back in the evening for drinks. (Alcohol ones you had to pay, but they brought it to you).--> We took advantage of it, since the weather wasn`t all that good.
We specially liked brekfast. it was nice and quit, in a room next to the lounge. No scrums, no lines...

ed-uk

As i have said we like the Sequoia Lodge, i would call it a good mid price Disney hotel compared to the other on site Disney hotels and we're happy to pay the extra money and stay in the main hotel which i like better, rather than stay in the lodges. I hope the Golden Forest Club is a success for DLP and they've obviously given it some thought and done their research, so i assume there must be demand for it. However i wonder how many people who book the Sequoia Lodge for price, rather than the Newport Bay Club or the Hotel New York, would be prepared to up grade to the Golden Forest Club. I would rather stay at the Hotel New York and pay extra.
Ed & David

haribosmum

I think I would go for the Golden Forest rooms if the breakfast was a cooked breakfast like in HNY.  The price was very similar for these rooms and a plaza room in New York but my husband likes to fill up on cooked breakfast then doesn't have lunch and the continental breakfast didn't appeal as much.
Good to read reviews on here of the hotel.  I always trust you more than something like Trip Advisor as some people on there just like to moan!
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20