Captain E O and better use of the space

Started by 2infinity, August 28, 2012, 11:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2infinity

I have thought for quite sometime that Monsters Laugh Floor would be a great modernising idea for EO. Has there been a discussion regarding this location previously?

Laugh Floor from MKwdw is basically Stitch Live WDS for an older audience. The comedian residents of Monstropolis tell jokes to capture the guests laughter in place of the screams. At WDW this works well bilingually in Spanglish with many groups and I do not see why that, my preference as there is some learning and laughs there, or a straight alternative language showing set up would not be successful.

Finally Hi! I have been peaking in here for some time but finally took the plunge to make an active post! I am a great fan of Imagineering at Disney.

isani

I'd like to see a Laugh Floor at DLP, particularly with the new Monsters University prequel coming up. However, I don't think it would be a very good fit for Discoveryland. That land should be about visions of the future, and Monstropolis isn't particularly futuristic. (It's not a good fit for Tomorrowland at WDW, either.) The Studios might make a better home for the Laugh Floor.

The big rumor that been going around is that the theater might be converted into an indoor Jedi Academy. That is part of a larger rumor of turning the far end of Discoveryland into a Star Wars themed area. This would include updating Star Tours and turning the current Pizza Planet into a Mos Eisley Cantina.

Scissorsboi

I also don't think the attraction would go down too well with the European audiences, Americans don't mind being interactive, whereas the DLP culture is much more sit back and enjoy the show. When I saw MILF (yes, it shortens to that..) I was constantly on edge that they'd put my face up on the screen and make a joke about me, or make me do a stupid noise, or call me a villain or something.. I don't enjoy that, and it massively puts me off the ride - I know plenty of people who don't like that sort of experience and I don't think it'll go down well!

The difference with Stitch Live is that most people will nominate themselves to talk to Stitch, and I enjoyed that because I felt more comfortable when I did interact, but still found it a bit embarassing to do so!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

isani

By the way, it's interesting that the attraction was originally called CinéMagique and not Captain EO. I guess the thinking was that they would change films every now and then (and not once a decade). It's too bad that this didn't happen, because now it's too late. Bringing in a new 3D movie would not be a novelty anymore.

TVTaughtMeHowToFeel

Quote from: "isani"By the way, it's interesting that the attraction was originally called CinéMagique and not Captain EO. I guess the thinking was that they would change films every now and then (and not once a decade). It's too bad that this didn't happen, because now it's too late. Bringing in a new 3D movie would not be a novelty anymore.

I guess you're right with the novelty thing and all... but I personally enjoy a good 3D movie especially with fun special effects like the mice from "Honey I shrunk the audience" or something like that... that makes the difference to common 3D movies in your cinema at home... but you made me think what would make a 3D movie even more special??? An interactive 3D movie!!!  :D who knows... I'm sure they could do that :P

I like Star Tours... but a Star Wars theme for the whole area? I don't know If I like this... I hope that it stays a rumour... but i guess my chances are not that high... although it wouldn't be my first choice I'd rather like to see a pixar themed attraction than a "jedi academy" ...

The perfect choice for me would be a whole new attraction exclusive to disneyland paris... not some copy from another disney park... or at least something  suited to the european taste and culture... which discoveryland originally was all about... They could tear up the whole building... an create something entirely new (if they had the money...  :? )

In the end it's them who decide and they can't make it perfect for everybody... so let's hope they find a compromise :)
Halloween 2000
Summer 2004
Halloween 2005
Christmas 2005
Halloween 2007
Halloween 2010
Summer 2012
Spring 2014
Christmas 2014

isani

Quote from: "TVTaughtMeHowToFeel"The perfect choice for me would be a whole new attraction exclusive to disneyland paris... not some copy from another disney park... or at least something  suited to the european taste and culture...

This got me thinking what a new Discoveryland attraction could be. Maybe something else adapted from Verne? There's a ride based on A Journey to the Centre of the Earth over at Tokyo DisneySea. They could make a small-space 3D attraction based on the same story.

Or how about War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells? Sure, it's been adapted several times, but Discoveryland could really pay homage to the Victorian origins of that story. Steampunk alien ships and all that.

TVTaughtMeHowToFeel

sounds good :) Maybe they will read your post and everything is going to be ok^^ :P
Halloween 2000
Summer 2004
Halloween 2005
Christmas 2005
Halloween 2007
Halloween 2010
Summer 2012
Spring 2014
Christmas 2014

2infinity

All very interesting people, thanks for your replies and discussion. You are starting to make my thoughts more creative....