Disney's Newport Bay Club refurbishment

Started by Kristof, July 31, 2012, 06:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Quote from: "Josh"Really? That's quite surprising. I've never been to a hotel without them. So they use nothing at all?

They are using glass walls instead or shower cabins with glass walls. We have mainly been to hotels in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Czech Republic. I don't know what the standard is in France or in the UK, but in Germany or Austria the shower curtains were never that popular. I've never been to a four or five star hotel over here that used shower curtains. Maybe the glass walls are a more regional thing.

ed-uk

The hotels at DLP don't have shower cabins with glass. They have baths with showers in them and shower curtains, they wouldn't add glass to the bath.
Ed & David

dagobert

I know that. I have been to DLRP several times.

However over here even baths have glass walls. The cover approximately 1/2 of the bath.

ed-uk

In Disney hotels they don't,  you can have a shower or bath and not use the shower curtain.  I must admit my bath doesn't have a glass wall.
Ed & David

dagobert

I was talking about hotel baths and not private bathrooms.

Martyn

So is the exterior getting a refurb too?

Oh, and I forgot to mention this in my other post, I love the (not so) 'hidden Mickey' in the head board!

Josh

I've only ever known my house to have a glass bath cover. I just thought they were really unpopular. XD

But I must admit I quite like the pattern on the shower curtain. Was the old one just blank?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ed-uk

Quote from: "Josh"I've only ever known my house to have a glass bath cover. I just thought they were really unpopular. XD

But I must admit I quite like the pattern on the shower curtain. Was the old one just blank?

i think it had a lighthouse but I'm not sure.
Ed & David

esmeralda

I think it was the NBC logo
Julia

ed-uk

Briefly returning to the decoration and the use of Disney characters in the room, I can understand people wanting to be immersed in the story of the NBC,  this fictional yacht club and the Disney imagineering that went behind it, and not simply pretend to be in New England, as Josh wrote. Indeed I enjoy the hotel.

But I also take the view that most people including myself, associate the characters with Disney and that they can also  be apart of the story in the Disney hotels.  So I don't mind the use of Disney characters in the hotel rooms provided that it is done subtly and in this case and at the Sequoia Lodge I think it has been.
Ed & David

pussinboots

There is obviously a place for Disney characters in a Disney hotel, but the question is where, how and to what degree. There is usually the character buffet (paired with a more adult-oriented table service restaurant without characters) and the children's corner where they play DVDs, and as of late they have begun to include the rooms to this category. Personally, I don't mind. While stark realism works for grand lobbies and hallways, no one wants to sleep in a stuffy, boring Victorian room and wake up looking at a portrait of Queen Victoria, or similar — just as you wouldn't want the realism to continue into Fantasyland's restrooms. ;)

So this seems more than okay to me, and in fact it has made it more likely than ever that I will book a stay at the Newport Bay Club. Now the Santa Fe, on the other hand, that's where they went very wrong.

Thaliel

Are there any pictures of the renivated "bunk bed rooms"? I am curious to see what thes did with those
<-Plz click

Figgygirl

Maybe Disney retain shower curtains with their baths to give guests in the bath or shower some privacy if another family member needs to use the loo. I know many families are open minded about being naked or using the loo in front of their children, but personally we aren't and I like having the shower curtain instead of just glass.
The original NBC shower curtains have the NBC logo of the lighthouse in red and blue with Newport Bay Club on. You can see photos of the bathrooms with reviews on Trip Advisor.
As far as I am aware no standard or Admirals Floor rooms in NBC have bunk beds - they may have them in the special  rooms for disabled people, as they do in Sequoia Lodge.

Figgygirl

I also think that Character theming in the hotel rooms should remain subtle. I like the new Sequoia Lodge rooms very much - lovely warm colours with a cosy feel, with Bambi Characters on the wall border.

Riebi

Isn't it sometimes sad:

http://images-squish.net/images/Jakesully/87106.JPG

source: http://www.disneygazette.fr/gazette-decembre-boutique-chez-marianne-ratatouille-newport-bay-club-news-1611.html

They change the floor of the entrance hall to normal home depot tiles...imagineering seems to be completly out of the late 19th century New England theme.

well...some will say it's practical...but practical seems to be the new word for theming nowadays...

Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...