Disney Dreams! — Nighttime Spectacular

Started by Festival Disney, April 14, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

This is why you should see it in real life, first. :P But in my opinion, no video can truly show what it's like to see the beams of light from the second star to the right as they shine. There's so many immersive aspects to the show that you need to see in person.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Anthony

Quote from: "Alan"There's also the possibility that Anthony adjusted the Levels and increased the Saturation of his footage in post-production.
I'm far too lazy and poor with my editing to do such things! All I ever do is add the titles.

Perhaps the resolution also has something to do with it. Your naked eye will pick out every detail of the castle far more clearly than a handheld 1080p video camera, making it seem like the projections aren't transforming it quite so totally, when really you're just seeing it all much clearer. Also the camera probably adjusts levels to the bright projections itself - it'll be trying to focus on the bright images, not the castle. Whereas with your own eyes, you have to trick yourself to look at the projections, not the outline of the castle. It's a bit like those magic eye puzzles.

CafeFantasia

Could it be possible that some of the projectors for Disney Dreams! are no longer working, or that they reduced their brightness after the press event? I remember Steve Davison saying how they projected the same image twice, using two different projectors, to get double brightness. Maybe one of the pairs was down?

I'm just trying to figure out why, when I saw Dreams, it didn't look as vibrant and as bright as the videos from the press event. Hopefully it was just due to the lighter sky.

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

When we watched it twice 2 weeks ago we found the second viewing a lot better, and for that one we were further back. On the first time we saw it, from Central Plaza area, we were almost too close to the Castle to suspend belief enough to imagine the transformations, but further back and the Castle transformations did seem more real to the naked eye.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

dlpfan1992

Quote from: "PirateSteve"When we watched it twice 2 weeks ago we found the second viewing a lot better, and for that one we were further back. On the first time we saw it, from Central Plaza area, we were almost too lose to the Castle to suspend belief enough to imagine the transformations, but further back and the Castle transformations did seem more real to the naked eye.
I notice that with most shows. People assume they have to be really close to feel the full effect. I always find it best when watching these type of shows try to get as central position as possible, that way you get the full effect without having turn your head.  :thumbs:

CafeFantasia

Well, someone on here said that the middle of Central Plaza was the best place to watch Dreams from. But I think you're right Steve; that's too close. I think further back nearer the Information Board creates a better illusion, because you're less aware of the physical architecture of the castle, and more aware of the projections.

I actually made a little map showing all the positions we stood in when we watched Dreams. Position 3 (Sunday, 13 May) was by far the best:

Josh

We were standing exactly in position 2, the first time we saw it. When we saw it the second time, it was near position 3 in the reserved viewing area. We got our best view from there, but it would have been even better if we were in the middle of the street.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

I just had a thought. Suppose it was 10:15pm and Disney suddenly discovered a technical problem meaning they'd have to cancel the 10:30pm performance of Dreams. What would they do? How would they break it to the crowd, and how would they deal with the crowd's reaction?

dlpfan1992

Quote from: "Alan"Could it be possible that some of the projectors for Disney Dreams! are no longer working, or that they reduced their brightness after the press event? I remember Steve Davison saying how they projected the same image twice, using two different projectors, to get double brightness. Maybe one of the pairs was down?

I'm just trying to figure out why, when I saw Dreams, it didn't look as vibrant and as bright as the videos from the press event. Hopefully it was just due to the lighter sky.
I don't think its possible to turn off a projector. The show can't work without all projectors working.  :thumbs:

CafeFantasia

Is that a fact? They won't run the show unless ALL projectors are operational?

Disney Analyst

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"Here's another video showing the new pryo. Starting at around 4:15-

[youtube:3iw953vu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEcpXrqq3VM[/youtube:3iw953vu]

It's not a huge change, but I did prefer the original pyro.

I don't think it is so much new pyro, as it is probably they ordered the wrong pyro from manufacturer, or were sent the wrong pyro. Hopefully the only pyro will return.

Anthony

Quote from: "Alan"Could it be possible that some of the projectors for Disney Dreams! are no longer working, or that they reduced their brightness after the press event? I remember Steve Davison saying how they projected the same image twice, using two different projectors, to get double brightness. Maybe one of the pairs was down?
He said they tried to project front and back onto the water screens using two projectors, to give extra brightness, but it didn't work so they gave up on that idea.

Nothing has changed regarding the projectors, it'll just be that it looks different to your own eyes.

If one projector stopped working... well I suppose it'd depend which projector, whether they cancelled the show or not. One on the periphery, they'd probably just go ahead. One in the middle of the castle, they might have to cancel. But has that ever happened in these shows? And I'm sure they'd have the expertise and spares to fix it.

CafeFantasia

That's odd, I distinctly remember someone saying that they front projected on to the castle in pairs, so that they could get double the brightness. So, every segment of the castle is projected by, not one projector, but two.

I know Steve said a similar thing when he was talking about back AND front projecting on to the water screens. But that's not what I was thinking of.

Am I going mad? :-)

ulak

For me... "Dreams" is nice. But little... boring... Parts with Peter Pan ( and Marry Poppins) makes me boring and they should use more fountains and fireworks. Enchanted fireworks was better (for me)
Some efects with lasers are very nice...
[size=85](sorry for my bad english, thank You!)[/size]

Thaliel

I saw dreams 2 times on my recent trip. First was last Monday, which was a lucky hit since it was raining the whole day. But this resulted on Central Plaza being pretty empty, so we could see the show very well. The second time was on my birthday (wednsday) where we had booked the dreams dinner with the VIp acces, which was also a good idea, since the parc was very crowded that evening due to the sunny and warm weather. The VIP area has a decent view on the castle and it was nice seeing dreams again without being soaked by rain at the same time
<-Plz click