Duffy the Disney Bear

Started by Malin, January 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isani

I just took a survey about my last trip. It contained two questions about whether I knew Duffy and where I had seen him. I found this quite interesting since there were no questions about any other characters. It seems Disney's market research department is still interested in Duffy.

DisneyManiac

Odd... What about Mickey? He's the one who started it all! Must be doing Duffy because he's new and well...  :lol: Adorable :lol:  Sorry! Just had to! :P

ilovedisneylandparis

I saw on a Wikipedia page that Mickey is set to star in two new Disney films - do you think Duffy will have a part?! :) It's good to hear they are still asking about him at the parks, I guess they  want to know what they can do to make him more well known. I'll really miss Duffy if he goes forever  :(

ilovedisneylandparis

Anyone know what's going on with Duffy at the moment - any sightings? I was hoping that he might be back before Halloween but it seems like he will be more of a seasonal bear from now on :(

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "geekyjo"Anyone know what's going on with Duffy at the moment - any sightings? I was hoping that he might be back before Halloween but it seems like he will be more of a seasonal bear from now on :(

I heard more rumours that he may not even be out for Halloween and can only been seen on the parade or for Special events ie-When the Prince comes as he is a huge Duffy fan.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

ilovedisneylandparis

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"I heard more rumours that he may not even be out for Halloween and can only been seen on the parade or for Special events ie-When the Prince comes as he is a huge Duffy fan.

Aww no! I hope he sticks around on the parade for a while, I loved seeing him so much last time, I would be so upset if he didn't return to the parks :(

That's crazy, wish I was a prince(ss)! I would request Duffy for every visit and ask if I could stay in the Sleeping Beauty suite :D

Scissorsboi

Fantastic new if it's true! The corporate misfit character isn't going to be cluttering up the Main Street theme anymore!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Epcot_Boy

[-o<  [-o< No more Duffy ;)  Yippee :D/  ;)

David

littlemermaid83

Wow no need to be harsh guys, there are people out there that do actually like Duffy. Though I agree he shouldn't be placed in Mainstreet, but somewhere else yes.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

captain rocket

It's really strange that lot's of people, me included, think Duffy is just a money making ploy whereas we all have favourite characters that fall into the same category and love them!!  I've never seen such black and white opinions on this site!! it seems fairly obvious that you either love Duffy or hate him!

DisneyManiac

Who needs Duffy? I say: Bring back Roger Rabbit!

Pluto2011Pluto

I agree with littlemermaid83.  I love seeing Duffy last year and have a photo token with him in his santa suit. I hope he stays in disneyland paris next year in 2013 because I would love to have a photo taken him in his sailor suit.

Scissorsboi

The reason I don't agree with him being in the parks, is that the other characters you see are all related to a movie or story which ties it to the park, Duffy is purely there to push sales of a plush bear and his overpriced 'costumes'. If it was a case of say, a Baloo bear from Tailspin, where you could dress him up with outfit he collected whilst flying around the world I'd have no issue with it - he is a Disney character, with a Disney story, which fits it's timeline. Duffy is a generic bear, with no background, and no link to anything but his product.

Even the iconic villains from Universal's Halloween Horror Nights have more fully developed backstories than Duffy, and they're used purely as photo ops with no specific merchandising attached.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

ewormas

Hi to all Duffy Bear lovers!

I asked #insidedlparis if Duffy is gonna be at DLRP for Halloween, had a reply last night saying that Duffy IS coming back for Halloween!

Personally I don't mind Duffy at all.  I'm sure we've all bought merchandise that has basically just been a generic item that's got some Disney stickering on it, so I don't think Duffy is exactly going to ruin DLRP, is it?

ilovedisneylandparis

Quote from: "ewormas"Hi to all Duffy Bear lovers!

I asked #insidedlparis if Duffy is gonna be at DLRP for Halloween, had a reply last night saying that Duffy IS coming back for Halloween!

Personally I don't mind Duffy at all.  I'm sure we've all bought merchandise that has basically just been a generic item that's got some Disney stickering on it, so I don't think Duffy is exactly going to ruin DLRP, is it?

That's great news, thank you for letting us know :D I bet he looks so cute in his Halloween costume!

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"The reason I don't agree with him being in the parks, is that the other characters you see are all related to a movie or story which ties it to the park, Duffy is purely there to push sales of a plush bear and his overpriced 'costumes'. If it was a case of say, a Baloo bear from Tailspin, where you could dress him up with outfit he collected whilst flying around the world I'd have no issue with it - he is a Disney character, with a Disney story, which fits it's timeline. Duffy is a generic bear, with no background, and no link to anything but his product.

Even the iconic villains from Universal's Halloween Horror Nights have more fully developed backstories than Duffy, and they're used purely as photo ops with no specific merchandising attached.

I do see what you guys mean, I completely understand that some people really don't care for him at all and I can see why, particularly when he was placed in the parade next to Mickey etc. But I just think he's very sweet and because he is Disney then of course I naturally love him. I'm not too fussed about standard build-a-bears back home, and would always rather spend my money on a cuddly Mickey or Minnie instead, but because Duffy is 'The Disney Bear' I bought him and his sailor outfit, and when I look at him he reminds me of DLP so much!

I think captain rocket is right - you either love him or you hate him!  :lol: