Duffy the Disney Bear

Started by Malin, January 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

I was there over the weekend and it seemed to me that the Duffy craze is coming to an end. Now Mickey has moved to his temporary home the queue was no more than half a dozen families. Meanwhile the queue at the other end of Liberty Arcade with Winnie the Pooh was quite long.
Magical Wishes
Andy

ilovedisneylandparis

Quote from: "Handy Andy"I was there over the weekend and it seemed to me that the Duffy craze is coming to an end. Now Mickey has moved to his temporary home the queue was no more than half a dozen families. Meanwhile the queue at the other end of Liberty Arcade with Winnie the Pooh was quite long.

Is it really bad that when I saw this my first thought was "Hooray! More time with Duffy!"?  :oops: Seriously though I do hope people still want to meet him so he sticks around, do you think they're just unsure of who he is, or...? So is it just Duffy in the meet 'n' greet now Mickey's gone to his temporary home? I suppose when Mickey was there he had some guaranteed crowds :(

Handy Andy

Quote from: "geekyjo"
Quote from: "Handy Andy"I was there over the weekend and it seemed to me that the Duffy craze is coming to an end. Now Mickey has moved to his temporary home the queue was no more than half a dozen families. Meanwhile the queue at the other end of Liberty Arcade with Winnie the Pooh was quite long.

Is it really bad that when I saw this my first thought was "Hooray! More time with Duffy!"?  :oops: Seriously though I do hope people still want to meet him so he sticks around, do you think they're just unsure of who he is, or...? So is it just Duffy in the meet 'n' greet now Mickey's gone to his temporary home? I suppose when Mickey was there he had some guaranteed crowds :(

It's just Duffy on his own. When my lad queued it was for no more than 3 minutes.

I really think the casual visitor didn't have a clue who he was.

I believe DLRP may end up with a problem with this meet and greet without Mickey. It doesn't seem popular enough to keep long term but they have tons of merchandise to sell. Putting another character with him would not work without changing his back story.
Magical Wishes
Andy

ilovedisneylandparis

Yeah I see what you mean. I only really know about him cos of the Disney blogs and this forum, but without those I wouldn't have a clue who he was until I actually arrived at DLP.

I was thinking maybe they could put him with another character, but you're right, it wouldn't fit with his backstory at all :o As an adult I think he's very sweet so I can't wait to meet him, but I suppose most children would be excited to meet their favourite characters and wouldn't be too fussed about a bear, even if he was on a parade float. Poor Duffy :(

DutchBrit

QuoteI believe DLRP may end up with a problem with this meet and greet without Mickey. It doesn't seem popular enough to keep long term but they have tons of merchandise to sell. Putting another character with him would not work without changing his back story.

I can't imagine how they thought it would ever work! Putting him the parade won't make a scrap of difference.

If they will insist on keeping Duffy as a walking-about character, they should just have him wandering around the shops pushing the merchandise. That's his real 'back story', after all.

Thaliel

Duffy was present one afternoon at the Location you used to meet Mickey. The queue was maybe 10 people, so we quickly lined in and had a picture taken. He is a nice and cuddly guy, but I somehow cannot connect to him, be it in plush or in character form.
<-Plz click

Scissorsboi

I think you've nailed it for me there, you can't connect to Duffy because he is just a bear. You can connect to the other characters because you know their stories, Duffy is (weirdly!) too much of a commercial product for the parks.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

ilovedisneylandparis

Hmm, I see what you guys mean. I have spoken to people who feel that his backstory is very weak and convenient and that he is 'shoved' onto us in the parks.
Personally I can connect to him as a character in the parks, I think he's very sweet and kind and quite shy and that that is his 'personality', sort of thing - which I have taken just from seeing videos etc of him. I think if anything I have connected to him more because of the lack of reception to him! I feel bad for him and just want to give him a hug, haha. Not sure if that is what Disney intended :oops:

Tinkswishes28

We went last week, I just saw  Duffy out of the corner of my eye. The back story is lovely, and we watched the tots walking up to Duffy, and the interaction was lovely. My 5 year old daughter adored him, they had a dance together curtseyed and cuddled. It was lovely to watch, and she certainly wanted to meet him. I think Duffy is a good addition to the parks, as he is very friendly and cuddly.
2005 DLRP

Handy Andy

It looks like Duffy is being phased out. Chip & Dale and Tigger have doing meet and greets in his usual spot over the last week.
Magical Wishes
Andy

dagobert

That's good news. I have never liked that stupid bear and I wouldn't mind if he disappears, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

captain rocket

You are not in the minority as far as I am concerned Dagobert, I would be delighted to see Duffy disapear from meet and greets and Disney Magic on parade. I have no objections to him being on sale in the shops though

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "dagobert"That's good news. I have never liked that stupid bear and I wouldn't mind if he disappears, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

I'm not sure about minority :)  In my opinion the bear should have stayed in the Once upon Toy Shop in Orlando :x  The Japanese have much to answer for :roll:

David

ford prefect

Quote from: "dagobert"That's good news. I have never liked that stupid bear and I wouldn't mind if he disappears, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

That is rather harsh!  I like Duffy, and my daughter adores him.  I brought my wife a Disney bear from DLP 8 years ago.

There is nothing new about Duffy, although I am not sure I like him as a meet and greet character, h works well as a Disney collectible.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

ilovedisneylandparis

That news has made me sad, I love Duffy! I went a couple of weeks ago and the queues were often quite short to meet him (never any more than 10 mins, often no-one at all!) so I met him twice in the end, he was lovely :D

I hope he doesn't go but I suppose it makes sense, I guess Disney want to have as popular characters as possible so more people are drawn to the parks/to the meet 'n' greets, it doesn't make sense to waste a meet 'n' greet spot. I'm just glad I met Duffy and bought my Duffy bear while I still could :( I hope they carry on selling the bears and the clothes though cos I wanna get my Duffy a Christmas outfit, haha  :oops: