Captain EO Photos?

Started by CentralPlazaPerson, February 28, 2009, 02:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPlazaPerson

Does anyone have any photos of the old captain eo attraction? Sadly I never saw it :(
thanks
ccp :D  :D

davewasbaloo

It was a movie, and the exterior was not much different than HISTA, but here is the movie (which I adored):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstW05bDiQU

Remember this was in 3D and had in theatre explosions!
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

The days when the theme parks would make original creations that were not inspired by existing toons or movies.

CafeFantasia

It would be kind of cool if Disney made a sequel to Captain EO, keeping it contemporary. Since Ne-Yo is so obviously inspired by Michael Jackson, it could be called Captain Ne-Yo.

CentralPlazaPerson

Very Good  =D>  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ColdSun

thanks soooo much for posting the link to the Captain EO movie, watching it surely brought back some nice memories. I really miss that attraction :| ...

CafeFantasia

Here are some great photos from behind the scenes on Captain EO. They're pretty good quality too:

http://www.mj-in-the-early-80s.com/1985%20Gallery.htm

CentralPlazaPerson

I wouldn't mind it returning at all, afterall I never experienced it and I'd love to go on it.
Do you think something like this could be added in the 20th anniversary?

Agent Lex

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It was a movie, and the exterior was not much different than HISTA, but here is the movie (which I adored):
Thanks for posting that! Brought back so many memories, right from seeing that spinning asteroid at the beginning (it would float out the screen, in the middle of the theatre!).

Soap

Argh missing that one on each visit  :cry:
Great music and ass kick dancing!  8)

Thanks for the reminder and the pictures!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Timbo

Although it was a great show ,and I saw it many ,many times ; I think it started to look very dated in the last few years of its life ,the technology had moved on quite a bit since it was first made ! It had already been in the States for a few years before it opened in EuroDisney as I recall !

davewasbaloo

Quite right Timbo. I love Captain Eo, having been lucky enough to be at the grand opening in both California (where it debuted in 1985) and at DLP in 1992, I have particularly fond memories.

But if it were still around, we would all be calling for them to rip it out because it is going to be 25 years old. Sadly this is the problem with many film attractions, particularly of how we view the future from a certain time.

But yes, HISTA was fun the 1st couple of times, it does not have the same level of repeatability Eo had.

CafeFantasia

I agree. Captain EO was fantastic, but it would seem very dated and weird if they were still playing it today.

Having said that, even Honey I Shrunk The Audience seems dated today. HISTA was made in 1994, and it's 2009 now. So that movie is 15 years old!

Ideally, no 3D movie should run for any longer than 10 years. But Disney don't seem to be making as many of them as they used to, probably because 3D movies will soon be standard in normal cinemas, not in special custom-built theme park cinemas.

The most modern 3D movie made for a Disney Park is Mickey's PhilharMagic. But even that is 6 years old already. It opened at WDW's Magic Kingdom in 2003. In fact, Disney have only made two 3D movies for all of their theme parks, in this decade!