Incident on Tower of Terror

Started by Inkredible, December 16, 2011, 03:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkredible

Don't know if you guys have heard about this yet. My mate mentioned that it was in the paper at the weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Hope the poor kid pulls through.
WDW - July 2010 - All Stars Music (honeymoon)
DLP - March 2011 - Santa Fe
DLP - October 2011 - Santa Fe (can\'t wait)

skalos

Disney and more had a nice post about the incident...

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/ ... after.html

And I quote an anonymous poster about the subject:
"I am a Neurosurgeon and it is hard to explain any causal relationship between ToT and a quadraparesis. Given the breathing difficulties it suggests this is upper cervical or brain stem in origin. There is no way that any physical trauma from this attraction would cause this. A pre-existing arteriovenous malformation or subarachnoid bleed would be possible but highly unusual. Elevated blood pressure would have made these more likely to show themselves. The story is rather odd however. My thoughts are with the child and his family. The relevance of the location is, I suspect, minimal. "

Inkredible

When I first read it, I thought the kid might have had an underlying health issue too.
WDW - July 2010 - All Stars Music (honeymoon)
DLP - March 2011 - Santa Fe
DLP - October 2011 - Santa Fe (can\'t wait)

BadKid

I hope the kid's alright.
Aren't they meant to be opening a case soon about the incident?
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

Sugaroo_

That's terrible...really hope he pulls through :( I've read about people becoming seriously ill because an undetected health condition they had was aggravated by a ride they went on. If a case is opened against Disney I guess it comes down to the doctors determining if there was a preexisting health issue or if it was caused by trauma sustained at the park. Any which way, it's sad...
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Sully

I was riding ToT with my girlfriend about 2 days before this incident.

Initially it seemed very worrying, but as my gf pointed out straight away (she is a doctor), it was undoubtably caused by an underlying medical condition.  Just another of those sad things, but certainly nothing that Disney can be blamed for.

DopeyDad

It's another example though of how the press tend to treat any story about Disneyland, playing rugby (a sport highly associated with spinal injuries) is far more likely to be the main contributing factor than this ride, and any journalist could immediately see that. But hey, run the story, sell some copy, pedal some nonsense and make a few bucks out of some poor guys misery.