do they check kids ages at restaurants?

Started by stecal, February 27, 2014, 08:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stecal

hi im not going until next year but my eldest will be 12 when we go and she eats like a sparrow so i begrudge paying for an adult meal for her especially at inventions, does anyone know if  they ask for kids age when going to buffet or table service restaurants?
thanks

Zee79

We've never been asked. My eldest is only 11 now but she is very tall for her height and has never been asked her age.

stecal

Quote from: Zee79 on March 01, 2014, 09:13:42 PM
We've never been asked. My eldest is only 11 now but she is very tall for her height and has never been asked her age.

hi thanks for replying not trying to be tight just that last time we went she would only eat a tiny amount at the buffets which was bad enough when paying for child rate so def wouldn't want to pay for an adult meal for her
thanks

gemma2806

No they never ask for ages so don't worry about this. In some cases you can even eat a child's portion for an adult (in counter service restaurants). Usually my partner and I share a main meal as we don't eat a lot either and this way if our son doesn't finish his meal we help him with it!  ;)

stecal

Quote from: gemma2806 on March 02, 2014, 03:47:43 PM
No they never ask for ages so don't worry about this. In some cases you can even eat a child's portion for an adult (in counter service restaurants). Usually my partner and I share a main meal as we don't eat a lot either and this way if our son doesn't finish his meal we help him with it!  ;)

Thanks that makes it bit cheaper i was going to get a meal plan but wont bother now as i would have to get an adult one for her so will just pay as i go.
thanks

Zee79

When we go to counter service I usually share a meal with one of the kids and there is usually more than enough.

Samninetysix

If she's 12 you'll probably be ok, if they asked me for proof of age I would simply say that I didn't expect to be questioned about my kids ages as we gave them out when we booked the holiday. We used to run a pub and "certain" families used to extract the urine at our Sunday carvery, ordering adult meals and 1 or no kids meals then sharing their meat with the kids and filling up on the vegetables and yorkshire puds so it really pees me off when this happens however it is sooooo expensive to eat at DLRP that sometimes you have to try to be as frugal as you can. We are going back in early April and for the first time we are taking our autistic nephew with us, he's 10 but very tall and he also has very little appetite so it'll be interesting if we get questioned.

Our local "all you can eat" chinese buffet is £15 in the evening which if you compare the same options at DLRP at 23€ there isn't much in it, ok the food at the chinese buffet is probably going to be slightly higher quality than the fayre at DLRP but it's Europes biggest tourist destination and the restaurants are generally well themed so from that point I personally don't mind paying for the buffet service meals.

haribosmum

just to add, unless you have passports on you I'm not sure what kind of proof of age anyone would be able to provide (and my passports are locked in the safe for the duration of holiday).
I did see someone on here say they were on a meal plan and had a 12 yr old, but instead of using a voucher paid a child meal for him.  then used the value of the adult voucher for counter service meals etc.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20