Refurbishment Newport Bay Club

Started by esmeralda, August 08, 2013, 12:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esmeralda

I'm planning my recent trip and was thinking how the refurbs at NBC are progressing. Did anyone stayed there recently? Thanks for any news!
Julia

Festival Disney

I stayed in December and it still looked run down and dilapidated then! We had a room at the front of the hotel over looking the car park, and below our balcony there was a net over a recess in the ground (to provide light to the basement), and on the net you could see bits of the hotel that had fallen off... quite concerning, lol!
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

DisneyFanB

The refurbishment still has to start, in October they will start with the first 600 rooms at the poolside.
The pool itself will be closed from November untill March.
According to a castmember at the DCP forum, the hotel will be upgraded from a 3 to a 4 star hotel afther the refurbishment, with a price increase to this new standard.

esmeralda

Great news! Although i thought the refurbishment had started already due to pics of new room design...
Must have been a model for colors etc?
Julia

torstendlp

The pics from the new rooms and floor design were originally, as far as I know, only from Test-rooms to check the style and quality of furniture etc. They could also be booked by guests already but only for a maximum stay of 1 night in order to get a feedback as broad as possible.

So if the above rumour is correct, the tests seem to be completed.
After reading this, I also asked someone I know in place, and it seems it could be correct.
According to what I just heard, there have been made some adjustments to the style of the new rooms (I hope they changed the look of the board that looked cheap imho or, if they kept the look, at least made it look better). And also besides that I heard, that the NPBC will get a room-level with the amenities like ESC.
This could happen by either reducing the number of rooms that belong to the current AF and then lifting the ones that stay as AF up to the higher level or - what I would believe to be more plausible as the other hotels get more and more diversified room categories, too - by keeping the AF like it is with the (little) current extra-amenities and then introducing an new higher Level on par with ESC. Having the large number of rooms in mind the NPBC has, I think this is the realistic way.

I would like the idea of tranforming NPBC from 3* to 4* since imho from all Disney Hotels it has the most luxurious and elegant theming (even more than DLH imho and by far outstanding HNY) and styling from the outside - so it would be a goof idea to transform it in a way that you find the inside and offers of the hotel on the same level that you expect them to be from its outside theming.

BUT: Doing so would make the 3*-class very small in DLP. Only the SQL (with excepttion the GFL) would be in this level then - so imho they would need a new 3* hotel in any case.
One could now say, because it would fit to the announcement for the new 2* B&B hotel in VdF because of timing etc. that after the new 2* hotel is open there Cheyenne (or Santa Fe) could be leveled up to 3* instead to fill this gap - but I don't think this is likely to happen because both do not have the structure from their original layout that could allow them to be easily transformed to a higher level.

esmeralda

Quote from: "Festival Disney"I stayed in December and it still looked run down and dilapidated then! We had a room at the front of the hotel over looking the car park, and below our balcony there was a net over a recess in the ground (to provide light to the basement), and on the net you could see bits of the hotel that had fallen off... quite concerning, lol!

Do you refer on the complete hotel or is it only the view of your room. My last stay was in '09 and i really enjoyed it. We had too beautiful rooms( one of them with a balcony and a view onto the lake).
Do you think i should wait till it's refurbished or did you exaggerate a bit ;)
Julia

Festival Disney

The whole hotel is just tired and dilapidated, especially outside but also inside! I would definitely go Sequoia until NPBC is finished its refurb. The room we had back in December was on the Admirals floor, and they couldn't even keep the plug sockets screwed in to the wall for guests paying extra for Admirals...
Far cry from our trip last month in the beautifully refurbed Sequoia Lodge!
Even in the bathroom you can tell the difference, old tiles where the grout has started to blacken compared to brand new stuff over at the lodge.
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

david

Quotefrom 3* to 4*

I guess that means the price will make a big jump then... :roll:

tubbsy

I've just done a like for like quote - As it stands at the moment, SL GF is £300 more than NPB AF for my family-which will soon be 4 adults (My DS is nowehere near being an adult but under holiday rules....  :roll: )
Having said that, our room in NPB AF was spotlessly clean and everything was attached to walls.
We also walked past rooms under renovation.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

esmeralda

So I'm back from the magic and we decided to stay at NBC nevertheless to all concerns. Sequoia Lodge would have been an option but we stayed there already last year and prefer to choose a different hotel every year.
And all i can say is- it was AWESOME!!! I was a bit anxious about spotting a lot flaws but this was not the case!!
Our room was really beautiful, we never had red bed covers yet and they seemed to be pretty new as well as the shower curtain. So no wallpaper coming off or plug socket falling off the wall, luckily!
The rest of the Hotel looked good as well. Sure the face of the building could need a cleaning but these things are just normal.
I'd like to mention the AMAZING view at this point! We stayed at Admirals floor and had a view over the whole lake area, we were even able to see the castle's top, Space Mountain and the top of Disneyland Hotel.
So again a perfect stay!
Julia