Family of 6, March 2013 , Newport Bay

Started by princessemily, April 06, 2013, 09:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessemily

Trip report 26th - 31st March, 2 adults, 4 kids.

We set off from Dublin on the 12.30pm flight, which was a little delayed due to the plane needing to be de iced. We were met in CDG by the lovely John from Ezyshuttle and were soon on our way. Check in at the Newport Bay Club was swift, and we got a family room on the admirals floor.  The room consisted of 2 double beds and 2 sofa beds, and still had loads more floor space.  It was more than spacious for all 6 of us.  
However, we weren't here to spend time in our room, so it was off to Annettes Diner for a very late lunch/early dinner. We all enjoyed the food here, and the theming. Our kids are aged from 4 (going on 14) to up 11. Traditionally on previous visits, we have always gone on Its a Small World. But the kids have now decided that Pirates of the Caribbean is our new first ride. A great way to start our trip. This was the only day there was rain, but it was cold the whole time. We needed our winter coats, but not necessarily gloves/hats etc. We spent some time looking around Adventure Isle in the dusk, which I have to say was beautiful. The lighting in Adventureland after dark is very pretty. Due to the rain, we had no trouble gettting a decent spot for Dreams, straight in front of the castle where the stage used to be. I adored it and had a lump in my throat more than once, the kids (who are not very patient)! were entranced, and even my cool as a cucumber DH was quite moved. A lovely end to our first day. Then it was back to the hotel to get some much needed sleep for our first full Disney day.

Day 2 - Wednesday. We hit the parks early and walked straight on to Buzz Lightyear Lazer Blast, before having our first much loved breakfast of the trip in Plaza Gardens.

Then onto Dumbo, there was the usual long wait, but 3 of the elephants were not operational, which slowed things down. Also there was no water running on this ride. In fact this is something we noticed a lot, many of the water features were not working, ie, the huge globe outside IASW, Swiss Family Robinson fountains etc, I wonder was this due to the risk of freezing.

I persuaded the kids it was time for a trip on ISAW then, they love it really, once they are on it. Little 4 year old lady would hate to be thought of as babyish by her big brothers. Oh how they grow so fast.

Myself and DS8 sat watching cartoons in Videopolis the rest went on Star Tours. Despite DS8 being an avid Star Wars fan, he does not like this ride due to the motion sickness, he must get that from me.

We then went on Pinocchio, saw the Dragon under the castle, Peter Pan and explored the castle itself before leaving the park for a lunch in Earl of Sandwich. This was our first time to eat here and it was a winner all around. Portions are very substantial good value lunch option compared to some fast service places in the parks.

After lunch we went to the Studios. I went on Slinky Dog with the kids, then we saw the end of Stars and Cars, (kids are not as much into parades as they used to be), we did Art of Animation which is something the younger two have never done, and we all really enjoyed it. The Studio Tram Tour was our last ride of the day. We went to Hunters Grill in Sequoia Lodge for our dinner at the request of our DS11. This was our most expensive meal of the trip, at €29 (I think) per adult and €15.59 for kids. Still we were all hungry so ate well. DH brought the kids back to our hotel, while I headed back to the park to catch Dreams by myself without little ones distracting me.

Day 3

Today we had lunch in Cape Cod restaurant. I love the theming in this place. Then off to the park. Buzz first (seems to be a habit), with only 5 minute wait. Then as we were walking into Fantasyland past the castle, we saw a man on one knee proposing!! How lovely, judging by her tears and smile, she surely said yes. What a happy moment. We then did the carousel, Peter Pan, DH brought DS11 and DD4 on teacups too spinney for DS8 and DS6 and me. We explored Adventure Isle again and treehouse. DH and DS11 did Big Thunder Mountain. I always say that I am going to do this ride, but once I get there, I chicken out! One day.

All hungry by now, so stopped in Cable Car Bakeshop for a treat and coffees. Then it was off the Meet Mickey Mouse, we enjoyed watching the cartoons, then there was a lovely surprise, a 5 piece brass band came out and played some Disney classics. Got our photo with Mickey Mouse.

Off to do Le Pays Des Contes De Fees. Lovely, gentle ride. DS11 was rushing down the steps of the bridge after getting off and slipped grazing his back quite badly. DH took him to the first aid centre, which he said was like a mini hospital. They patched him up. While they were there, we went on Casey Jnr. ISAW again, (for my sake). We had a lovely lunch in Pizzeria Belle Notte, one of our favourites. Then we browsed shops on Main Street, grabbing a coffee with free voucher that we got when we bought lunch. Into the Disneyland Hotel for the parade of characters down the stairs. We saw Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale. Good fun.

Then we went on Snow White, before getting a good spot by Pizzeria Belle Notte to see Disney, Magic on Parade. We decided to leave the parks then to have a quick dinner in McDonalds, or so we thought, there was a 40 minute queue, and this was only about 5.30. We browsed the shops in the village and wandered back to our hotel for a relaxing bedtime.

Day 4

After breakfast in The Yacht Club it was off for our first ride, guess what? Buzz again. Then DH and 3 of the kids went to Star Tours, but unfortunately there was technical issues so never got to go on it. We met them in Star Traders store.

We all went to studios for a morning of shows, Cinemagique, Animagique and Playhouse Disney, one after another. DS6 did not want to go to Playhouse Disney as it was just too babyish for him, there was even tears! Off to Earl of Sanwich again. We really enjoy sitting upstairs here, as it is so spacious with lovely views over the lake.

We went back to the studios for a browse in the shops. DH went on Cars with DS11 and DD4, other boys and I browsed Toystory Playland. Then I went to the stunt show with DS11. 2 little ones were itching to spend money. DD got a Wreck It Ralph set, she is a big Vanellope fan, being a bit of a tomboy herself. In fact, we spotted Snow White the other day and she didn't even bat an eyelid. DS6 got Mickey dressed as Luke Skywalker.

Then we went back to the park. We did the Aladdin walk through, Captain Hook ship, La Plages Des Pirates playground, POTC, Curious Labyrinth (neither DH or I particularly like this, but the 4 kids all love it), and last ride today was IASW (yay)!

As we were all starving we got a hotdog each at Caseys Corner, and a few chips to share. Never before have the younger two finished them, but they got through them this time. We watched Disney Dreams from one of the pathways into Adventureland that's near to Caseys Corner. Not a bad view, but we had to lift the tow little ones so they could see better.

At the Storybook Store DS8 got a mini Duffy. He being older and wiser than younger siblings decided to save his money til we got home to buy Lego.

The end of another beautiful Disney day.

Day 5

Off to Paris on the train. We got off at Trocedero to see the wonderful views of the Eiffel Tower. It was stunning. We picked up the red open top bus, where they very kindly only charged for 2 adults and 3 kids. We got off at The Louvre and Champs Élysées. No point in overwhelming the kids. They did enjoy their day in Paris all the same. Back to Disney mid afternoon. Went to the hotel to relax for a bit, then back to the park. DH and DS11 went on Phantom Manor while the rest of us scaredy cats looked around Boot Hill. A lovely stroll through a dusky Adventureland followed by a ride on POTC. We had a treat in Cable Car Bakeshop and a coffee. I love it in there so cosy. Then went outside to watch Dreams for the last time...sob,sob

Day 6

Our last day! As my DH is an avid plane spotter, he spent today at CDG. So me and the kids headed off to the park ourselves. Not to break with tradition, Buzz was our first ride, followed by ISAW, Pay Des Contes De Fees, Casey Jnr, (DS11 only time since he missed it the other day), Curious Labyrinth, and Pinocchio. We had worked up an appetite, so decided on an early lunch in Colonel Haithis. Despite it being only 11.45am, there was a queue. After that, we were getting a little sad that we only had hours left, so whizzed around to POTC, Aladdin walkthrough, Pocahontas playground, then a relaxing tour on the Molly Brown. As is habit we got a candy floss, with all kids tucking in similtaneously for a photo. Last treat in Cable Car Bakeshop before we saw the parade of characters on the stairs of Disneyland Hotel. We popped over to the studios and went into Art of Animation, and Stitch, which we had forgotten to do! Then it was a slow stroll through the village before a relaxing soft drink for the kids and a cappuccino for me, in the Fishermans Wharf while waiting for our Ezyshuttle pick up. The first coffee I've had all week in a real cup which seemed like a lovely treat.

We having been coming to Disney since May 2004 once, sometimes twice, a year, so our kids have grown up on it and know the place so well. I did find this year,however, that they seemed to "have grown up" a lot, and weren't so interested in the rides they loved when they were smaller. That's inevitable, I suppose. My family aren't babies anymore and that makes me a little sad. Having said that, it was great having the freedom of having no stroller etc, and that all 4 kids are now well able to voice their opinions on their favorites/dislikes. Disney is very special to us all, and there were tears and sadness when we left. I wasn't sure how much they enjoyed it until they were home and regaling Granny with their stories. I think she sometimes feels like she was there, they go into so much detail. We will return to Disney again, but will probably leave a longer gap next time so we can bring them other places in the meantime. DLP will hold a very special place in my heart always.

Apologies for the lack of photos, my DH is the camera man on our trips, I might see can he be persuaded to add some photos to the report at a later stage.  Even though I say so myself, he got some great ones of Dreams. :P
Sequoia  Lodge - May 2004
NPBC- September 2005
SL - June 2006
SL- June 2007
Ch -December 2007
NY - September 2008
SL - March 2009
SL- March 2010
NY - March 2011
SL - January 2012
Ch - March 2012
NPBC -March 2013
SL - February 2014
Ch - February 2015
Ch - November 2015
NPBC -March 2016
NY - November 2016
SL - April 2017
SLGF - March 2018
NY - Nov 2018
Cheyenne - Nov 2019
NY Nov 2021

cinderslg

Lovely tr, know what you mean about them growing up. Dd13 now only interested in the big rides, its nice to have dd4 who loves the magic of it. 6 weeks to our trip planning on borrowing a buggy for 4 yr old dont think she would have the stamina for 5 days in theparks  :D  Thanks for sharing  =D>

princessemily

We took a chance with our DD and the walking. She's not great at home, uses her scooter all the time.  But to be honest she was great, better than we expected! Only thing is we missed the stroller for flinging all the bags/jackets etc on! Enjoy your planning.
Sequoia  Lodge - May 2004
NPBC- September 2005
SL - June 2006
SL- June 2007
Ch -December 2007
NY - September 2008
SL - March 2009
SL- March 2010
NY - March 2011
SL - January 2012
Ch - March 2012
NPBC -March 2013
SL - February 2014
Ch - February 2015
Ch - November 2015
NPBC -March 2016
NY - November 2016
SL - April 2017
SLGF - March 2018
NY - Nov 2018
Cheyenne - Nov 2019
NY Nov 2021

TigerLily

Lovely trip report :D

jeakat24

Great trip report. It sounds like you all had a lovely time  :D .

I'm the other way around on our next trip (sept). We've always gone as couple before but now we'll have our daughter with us (she's one) so we're really excited but we know it's going to be a slower pace than what we're used to!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

gemma2806

Thanks for the lovely trip report, it sounds like you all had a lovely time!