Cinémagique in Discoveryland?!

Started by Quark, June 11, 2009, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quark

Being bored, I was just browsing through the Memorabilia section and came across this 1995 park map:
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/memorabilia/im ... _01_02.jpg

Not only don't I remember it having looked that way in 95, but more importantly there's a "Cinémagique" listed where Captain E.O./HISTA is.

Did I miss something? Was something ever officially called that in Discoveryland? I don't remember Captain EO having a different title in French?! Or was it a mistake and the name was kept in a drawer somewhere, only to be reused almost a decade later?

Anthony

The attraction was definitely officially called CinéMagique on all park maps and listings, with Captain EO just being described as the film playing inside. Perhaps because Captain EO just doesn't translate very nicely into French? I've never seen the old entrance though, so I'm not sure what name they actually had where HISTA is now.

Must be the only time a Disney attraction name has been re-used for something completely different, particularly at the same resort?

Kristof

I believe the Cinémagique sign was located in the planter where now Imaginations Institute logo is located.

Quark

Hm - so was that the name of the auditorium, or the show? And if so, why didn't they put the name of the show on the map?

Clarebelle

Quote from: "Anthony"The attraction was definitely officially called CinéMagique on all park maps and listings, with Captain EO just being described as the film playing inside. Perhaps because Captain EO just doesn't translate very nicely into French?
:)
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Quark

:oops: Did the order of the posts get jumbled up somehow?

I never knew - so there's been TWO "Cinémagiques" at DLRP? Funny that no one ever mentioned that concerning the WDS attraction...

Alexander

Here's a short (and, ugly analog-times) clip from the sign, taken in 1998:

[youtube:vn8j7kj9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvyvZgWxS4[/youtube:vn8j7kj9]
This also is the very first video I every uploaded to YouTube. :roll:

I believe they immediately discontinued the "CinéMagique" name for this attraction when they took out EO and put in Honey, so there's never been TWO CinéMagiques.
Life is different.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Thank you very much Alexander!

Would you mind upload a bit more of that video!? Would love to see more of 1998!!

Regards
Nicolai

Quark

Yeah, I didn't mean *at the same time*. But still, I don't know of any other name in a Disney park anywhere that has been used for two different attractions. I mean, there's been reused buildings, props and things "under new management" or "backwards", but the same name for entirely different attractions?

Cool...

Alexander

<OffTopic>
Quote from: "Nicolai"Would you mind upload a bit more of that video!? Would love to see more of 1998!!
I will, in time, publish pictures and videos, yes. Currently, I'm thinking about the way I want to publish... TripReports? Galleries? Not sure...
And I'm not sure if YouTube is the right place, but is there really an option?
</OffTopic>
Life is different.