big thunder mountian closed till 09?

Started by bigrossco, November 14, 2008, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfy74

as far as i know/heard the guest satisfaction for this ride is HUGE so expect it to be around a long time

The Butlin Boy

QuoteI dont see them having BTM for years to come to be honest, it is a bit old now and out-dated maybe would be nice to see a major upgrade to it or new ride in its place?

I can assure you that BTM will be going no where for a very long time to come :) Why would it? :wink:

Willow

Its 16/17 which is fairly old in terms of theme park rides but it has been mantained very well so it has a good many years left in her.
Imagine trying to replace the ride! It would involve taking down the whole mountain and then trying to build something else that would work well with the theme would be difficult.

Nicholas-c

after 20th celebrations they will probs consider upgrading motors etc but for now it works! yes it brakes down alot but have you ever been to alton towers ? ;) Generally its too popular to change.
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Willow

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"after 20th celebrations they will probs consider upgrading motors etc but for now it works! yes it brakes down alot but have you ever been to alton towers ? ;) Generally its too popular to change.

I'm actually an Alton Towers enthusiast at heart and DLRP is my second resort, so I don't want you being mean about my baby.  :P

Considering its a Vekoma BTM has done pretty well to stay smooth enough to ride comfortably.

Nicholas-c

Quote from: "Willow"
Quote from: "Nicholas-c"after 20th celebrations they will probs consider upgrading motors etc but for now it works! yes it brakes down alot but have you ever been to alton towers ? ;) Generally its too popular to change.

I'm actually an Alton Towers enthusiast at heart and DLRP is my second resort, so I don't want you being mean about my baby.  :P

Considering its a Vekoma BTM has done pretty well to stay smooth enough to ride comfortably.

I live 15 min drive from alton towers :P go every other (Would say week but its month atm :p)

Yea, Vekoma coaster's tend to be clunky but strangely they did good with BTM, Even covered the noise! :P
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

The Butlin Boy

I agree with what has been said, BTM seems to have been very lucky with it's reliability over the last 16 years, perhaps more lucky than most roller coasters in the world. They'll probably have to re-track it in the future though, because lets face it, it's inevitable that one day it won't be as good. Hopefully, this will be in the far future, and they can re-do the tracks and improve any of the (by that time) outdated special effects with it. This would generate a lot of hype, and would be an effective re-launch in the far future, not that it'd need a re-launch :wink:

So if it was a misprint it should be open today, any news?
Sequoia Lodge 2007
Sequoia Lodge 2008
2011 DCR Yipeee 3rd Christmas as DLP!!

bigrossco

fingers crossed!

They seem to be doing alot of mis-types as the program for 16 - 21 / 11 /2008 shows:

35 "it's a small world" Fantasyland®
fermé à partir du / closed from
17 Nov. 2009 incl.
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Quote from: "bigrossco"fingers crossed!

They seem to be doing alot of mis-types as the program for 16 - 21 / 11 /2008 shows:

35 "it's a small world" Fantasyland®
fermé à partir du / closed from
17 Nov. 2009 incl.
Have you the link for this?
Sequoia Lodge 2007
Sequoia Lodge 2008
2011 DCR Yipeee 3rd Christmas as DLP!!

bigrossco

link is in my first post just scroll down ;)
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Anthony

Of course, it IS a typo.

Quote from: "bigrossco"I dont see them having BTM for years to come to be honest, it is a bit old now and out-dated maybe would be nice to see a major upgrade to it or new ride in its place?
...and the 2-hour queues would appear to disagree with you. It's the most popular ride at the resort by a mile.

Alpop

I doubt they would do anything too major with it, as it is one of the classics. The attraction is busy and is still fun to ride.
(last time I was there I had spotted one of the possums was missing, looked like it had been pulled off)
It doesn't lend itself with a reinvention. So I can't see Big Thunder Mountain : The Second Gold Rush. To do anything like this would mean smash it down and start again. Unlike SM:M2, which involved changing props and a couple of little track upgrades.

giorgio1712

I agree with those who say it wont be going anywhere!

Its appealling to such a wide spectrum, its not too extreme for kids and older people and its exciting enough for the thrill seekers. I for one love it and underestimate it every time I ride it and ending up suprised.