Does the Hotel make any difference?

Started by Magic M, November 08, 2008, 01:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlemermaid83

I have always stayed onsite and i love the Cheyenne.  Yes its cheap and basic but the themeing makes up for it all.

We are staying in the DLH January but only as its a Christmas present to myself and to my DD.  Any other time its the Cheyenne.  

Will get to the point where we may have to stay offsite as staying onsite is getting more expensive every year.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

disney-dan

Im sure the villas are nice and all but Im glad we spent our money on the DVC rather than any other timeshare.
Have a Magical day!!

DD

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "disney-dan"Im sure the villas are nice and all but Im glad we spent our money on the DVC rather than any other timeshare.

Different strokes. As WDW is my least fav Disney resort, we opted for Marriott. If WDW is your passion and you want to return there, DVC can be a good deal (though Marriott has some great options in Orlando too).
since 2001 (many before that)

disney-dan

i guess, wdw is our fav though so like you say, it suites us perfectly.

i dont know what the other guy is on about, is he saying i was spamming? id be more inclined to say that hes a spammer with the mighty post count of 2, lol
Have a Magical day!!

DD

caffeine_demon

Quote from: "disney-dan"i guess, wdw is our fav though so like you say, it suites us perfectly.

i dont know what the other guy is on about, is he saying i was spamming? id be more inclined to say that hes a spammer with the mighty post count of 2, lol

Acrtuallly it was a lighthearted comment at  davewasbaloo's 3 posts... they did look more than a little advert-like!

davewasbaloo

Well I do love them, and I do think DLP's official hotels are overpriced for what they offer. So many people are blinded by the "magic".

loulou123

Ive stayed at the Cheyenne, the SL and the Newport Bay in the last 18 months.

The Cheyenne was fine for two in the room but the rooms are very small for any more in my opinion.

I loved the newport (especially as id paid for the cheyenne and was upgraded due to a flood in our room  :D ) and as we were there in the summer, we went back to the hotel every afternoon for a relax and swim (which wouldnt have been an option at the Cheyenne.)

I think it depends on the time of year, in July when i last went the park was opening at 8am for magic hours and not shuting till 11pm, so it was nice to be able to take a couple of hours out at the hotel, but when weve been and the park hours are shorter, weve never returned to the hotel during the day.

Elaine

I also got an upgrade to the Newport Bay, from the Santa Fe, last month.
As we only use the hotel for sleeping in, to be perfectly honest, I'd have preferred to stay at the Santa Fe  :D .

I do agree its different for everyone though - if you think you will use your hotel's facilities, it may well be worth it to pay the difference in price and upgrade. For me it just isn't. We visit other hotels to have dinner, shop etc, but our own hotel is really only to lay our heads, have a shower, and change our clothes.

Elaine

autumnal_hedge

We just got back from our first trip to DLRP and stayed in the Sequoia Lodge.  It was a decent hotel, though a tiny bit dated.  However, we adored the proximity to the Eurostar station, Disney Village, and the parks as we don't drive and don't live near to London or Ashford (adding more travel time...though we still prefer it to flying!).  

We're thinking of staying either in the Newport Bay or Hotel New York for our next trip (we decided to splurge for annual passes) as they don't seem significantly more expensive, but are a bit nicer (we walked around all the hotels near to the park while we were there to get an idea!).  

We didn't see Santa Fe or Cheyenne and they seemed a bit far (especially as we were there in the winter), though I can see why they would be attractive in the summer months.  I'd be curious if anyone thinks the hotels off site are a better deal?  I've just joined the Holiday Inn members club (though I can't remember what it's called! lol) so I know I'd get points...I assume that AP members don't get any discount on the off site hotels, but are the shuttles convenient to the parks?  Are the facilities significantly different to the Disney hotels or about the same?

Cheers!
~Carrie~

never2old

Quote from: "autumnal_hedge"We just got back from our first trip to DLRP and stayed in the Sequoia Lodge.  It was a decent hotel, though a tiny bit dated.  However, we adored the proximity to the Eurostar station, Disney Village, and the parks as we don't drive and don't live near to London or Ashford (adding more travel time...though we still prefer it to flying!).  

We're thinking of staying either in the Newport Bay or Hotel New York for our next trip (we decided to splurge for annual passes) as they don't seem significantly more expensive, but are a bit nicer (we walked around all the hotels near to the park while we were there to get an idea!).  

We didn't see Santa Fe or Cheyenne and they seemed a bit far (especially as we were there in the winter), though I can see why they would be attractive in the summer months.  I'd be curious if anyone thinks the hotels off site are a better deal?  I've just joined the Holiday Inn members club (though I can't remember what it's called! lol) so I know I'd get points...I assume that AP members don't get any discount on the off site hotels, but are the shuttles convenient to the parks?  Are the facilities significantly different to the Disney hotels or about the same?

Cheers!

Hello autumnal_hedge!! Guess you really enjoyed your first trip, if you've gone and got yourselves some APs!!  :D

Regarding your questions about the off site hotels, as with the Disney ones, the services vary. They range from the more basic Kyriad (but still very nice, big rooms, I think it's better than the Santa Fe, for instance) to the nicer ones, like the Dream Castle. They are all normally cheaper than the Disney ones. Of course with your AP you will get nice discounts on the Disney hotels, so it's worth comparing all prices when you do your booking. All the offsite hotels have shuttle buses that will take you to the park.

Personally I prefer to go for the Disney hotels, I like to be as close as possible to the parks, but I've stayed off site a couple of times and I'm sure I will stay there again!

davewasbaloo

Hmmmm, welcome aboard. About off site, you can get some awesome deals, but yes, they are not as convenient. We drive most of the time, so unless we are at the DLH or get 30% discount deals, we tend to stay at the Holiday Inn (I get about 3-4 free nights a year due to business use and we own at the MArriott Vacation club - our favorite venue in the area for extended stays). Personally I feel ripped off by most of the DLP hotels.