Driving from the North West of the UK?

Started by bellefan75, May 17, 2017, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellefan75

Planning ahead for a trip next year (three adults, no kids; very guilty mummy). We've booked the hotel but no transport as yet.
I'd be the only driver, if we went by car.
Is this mad from the North of England (Manchester)?

All opinions/experiences gratefully received.. x
1996~ Santa Fe & Davy Crockett Ranch
1997~ Cheyenne
1997~ Sequioa Lodge
2005~ Santa Fe
2005~ Sequoia Lodge
2007~ Santa Fe
2008~ Newport Bay Club
2013~ Hotel Cheyenne
2016~ Hotel Cheyenne
2018~ Hotel Cheyenne

A&S&O

How long is the drive from Manchester to Dover - 3hrs? Its around 3 hrs from Calais to DLP, plus 30 minute wait for the ferry and 1 hr on board. That's quite a long day and a long drive. Only you can decide if you are able to do it.

There are plenty of "Aires" (service areas) on the drive from Calais to DLP, it all depends if you are comfortable to nap in the car if you get tired - whether is dark or daylight will also be a factor for this.

Many people travelling a long way to Dover book a hotel for one night in either Dover or Calais. If you did that, you could time your onward journey to arrive at DLP early, check in to your hotel, get your tickets and be in the park for opening.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

wallefan

It's more like 5hrs from Manc to Dover.

I wouldn't do it as an only driver. Wouldn't be so bad if it was split between the adults.

dlpowl

My husband drives us all the way there in one go but it is tiring.  We set off from Sheffield at 5.30am (we always drive over on a Sat or Sun as roads are clearer) and get to Folkestone (Eurotunnel terminal) about 9-9.30am.  Then over to France (30 mins crossing on train) and then it's just under 3 hours to DLP.  The ferry gives you a longer break between driving as it takes longer but we prefer the tunnel.  So quick and easy!

When the children were little, we drove down to the terminal the day before and stopped in a cheap Travelodge for the night, so you could do that if you're worried about being tired.

We always drive over the day before our Disney holiday starts and stay in the F1 hotel in Meaux (room will sleep 3 adults and it's only about £40 for the room!). It's about 15 mins drive from Disney.  So we wake up the first morning of our Disney holiday, fresh and ready to go, drive to the hotel, check in, get our tickets and we are in the park by 9am.

If you drive over on the day of your Disney hotel arrival, you're basically wasting that first day driving there, which is why we go the day before. We do the same on the way home too.  Stay in the park until closing, drive to the F1, sleep, get up, drive home.   So my advice would be that yes, you can definitely drive it in one go, but I'd go the day before so that you're not rushing, you can stop for a break if you need it, and you can get a good nights sleep and make the most of your Disney time.

fan_tasmic

I live in North Wales and my parents always drive down to Folkestone the day before our Eurotunnel is booked, and we stay in a travelodge a few miles away, and then do the rest of the drive the next day.  My Dad usually does all of the driving and with say 1 stop on the way down for some food feels fine.  We've never really had any problems but I think it depends on how you feel about driving.  If you don't mind the long drive then its a pretty good option in my opinion!

rocker

My brother lives in Sheffield & he either does
1. The schlep to Dover, Travelodge nearby & then early ferry, or
2. The overnight ferry Hull to Zeebrugge .  Drive from Zeebrugge to DLP is only very slightly longer than from Calais.

Although in it's own right it looks expensive, considering you'll save almost 200 miles of driving each way & a night at a hotel once you factor in what you would otherwise pay in accommodation & fuel, it's can be a reasonably economic option.  Worth signing up to the P&O mailing list to see if you can grab a special offer.

Plus you'll save yourself 3 hours of driving each way & break up the journey so less tiring for you.

seraphelle

Can you not drop on any cheap flights from Manchester if you scope them out on Sky Scanner / Kayak etc beforehand?
We live by Birmingham and I've worked it out so many times to try and save money, but honestly in the grand scheme for the sake of saving under a hundred quid I prefer the convenience of flying.
Might be worth having a look as it's not always a massive saving. xx
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

Bellefan

Thank you all for the advice! I think we'll be getting the train now...(I don't fly, super-terrified). I really fancy a fun road trip, but my concern is that I feel tired after about two and a half hour's driving...

And I keep thinking about us being stuck on a motorway somewhere, and spotting the Manchester-London train whipping past on an adjacent line... ;D ;D ;D
May 1995 Santa Fe & Davy Crockett Ranch
May 1997 Santa Fe
Sept 1998 Sequoia Lodge
Jan 2005 Santa Fe
Sept 2007 Santa Fe
Sept 2008 Newport Bay Club
Mar 2013 Cheyenne

Disneyholics

I'm from the north.
And I drive down the day before with kids ! Then get hotel at Dover.
Then catch ferry in morning it's 3hrs drive once in France.
I love driving down and I'm the only driver can stop off when you want easy to find too.
If you book hotel now you can get them cheap.

Zee79

We drive from the north east. Usually we set off about 10am the day before doing a road trip down to one of the Travelodges near the tunnel, staying the night & getting about the 7 am train across. We do the same on the way back. This year we are going to do the run in one go, 2 drivers though, setting off about 6am hopefully getting there by 6pm depending on traffic. On the way back we are stopping at Ashford Travelodge, got it for £38 for the night with breakfast, family of 4.

Do88y

We live in Keighley near Bradford and have been 5 times in 4 years and we always drive as we can take and bring back as much as we like. just take loads of breaks or we have stayed at Dover for the night a few times and set off again early in morning refreshed. i would make sure you set of during the night as the 1st time we went we set off in the morning and didn't get to Disneyland until quite late and missed the 1st day in the park..
its not a massive drive for us only about 5-6 hours to Dover (300 miles) with plenty of breaks and 3-4 hours (190 miles) from Calais to Disneyland and the ferry is 90 mins.. its all part of the holiday for us as we enjoy a good road trip  :)

Hope this helps

February 2012 Hotel Santa Fe
December 2013 Hotel Santa Fe
February 2015 Hotel Santa Fe
December 2015 Cheyenne Hotel
December 2015 Hotel Santa Fe
February 2017 Hotel Santa Fe
December 2017 Hotel Cheyenne
November 2018 Hotel Cheyenne
November 2019 Hotel Cheyenne
November 2021 Hotel Newport Bay Club
May 2022 Hotel Santa Fe
November 2022 Hotel Cheyenne
October 2023 Davey Crockett Ranch
January 2024 Sequoia Lodge
Pre-Booked November 2025 Hotel Cheyenne

chalky0123

We did Sheffield to DLP back in 2015 with a 3 year old and a 5 year old. We broke up the journey with stops and had an overnight stay in Calais both ways. Kids were fine and we weren't too tired from the journey to waste the first day in the park.

cjebs

if your happy getting the folkestone euro tunnel which is only 35min crossing you can drive and get an early 5am or so crossing when traffic should be very light on the motorways and it will get you to dlp in time for opening or even emh if u get an early enough train as the tunnel is 24 hr crossing.

i have done manchester to essex is around 2hr 20 and around 40 min to folkestone from there so if you can manage the trip in 1 stint and have a power nap on the shuttle to get you ready for the next drive through france.

it also depends on how comfy your car is for how long you can comforatably drive for ofc.