Cast Member Security Checks

Started by dlpowl, July 28, 2016, 12:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlpowl

I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling apprehensive about our next visit to DLP given the heartbreaking events that have happened in France recently.

I've been reading about the security measures that DLP have put in place to make sure guests are thoroughly checked before entering the parks and village and it would seem they are taking it seriously and trying to do their best to ensure everyone's safety.  However, I have been wondering whether or not cast members are subjected to equally tight security checks before entering the parks?  Does anybody know? 

I've actually been thinking of emailing DLP anyway to make general enquiries about what they are doing to keep guests safe but I'm not sure where to send it to.  I'm trying not to worry but I really am starting to feel like I don't want to go.  Does anybody else feel the same?

polar vixen

I'm fat more worried about going to London for tge weekend than I an about going to Disneyland.  attacks could happen anywhere.  if I let fear stop me going to disney is actually never leave the house. 

Sugaroo_

dlpowl I expressed my concerns on another topic "Security at the moment" and some of the security measures mentioned by other members were in fact very reassuring. We will be taking our daughter this time around and for the sake of her safety I think twice about everything. We were thinking about going into Paris after our stay at DLP, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I don't know, I'm really confused. If you do send an enquiry please post the reply. Every bit of information helps.

Quote from: polar vixen on July 28, 2016, 09:43:39 AM
if I let fear stop me going to disney is actually never leave the house. 

You are so right polarvixen...the attack locations are so random. Nowhere seems to be safe right now. What are we supposed to do, go into hiding?
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

kernow

I've just come across this on the web thought I share it
Tourists in France 'to get armed guards' as backpacks banned from beaches amid bomb fears - www.telegraph.co.uk
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/28/tourists-in-france-to-get-armed-guards-as-backpacks-banned-from/?campaign_id=A100&campaign_type=Email

Lavi

When we went for extra magic hours just before 8 AM we could see a separate entry with the same security control, for cast members. It was obviously for cast members as the people entering from there were adults, one by one, no families or groups, the ladies were carrying a purse, they were in a calm hurry and so on; they looked as going to work, not as on holiday.

stormflm595

I, unfortunately, feel the same way :(

I'm so excited to be going back but I'm starting to wonder if it's a good idea with so many recent attacks happening all over France. We were thinking of going into Paris too but if it carries on, then I'll be keeping myself in the (hopefully) safety of the parks rather than risk it which is a shame because I love Paris :(

dlpowl, if you do email will you let us know what DLP say?
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

Sugaroo_

A few main points from the other security topic that put my mind at ease:

- Cars are checked before they enter the carparks
- Visitors are checked at the "regular" security booths, you have to open your coat and spread your arms so any bomb belts can be detected, all bags go through the scanners and then there is security personnel with handheld metal detectors that check visitors
- Security present also within the parks (one member mentioned their pram being moved to City Hall because the backpack they left in it was deemed suspicious)
- At Disney Hotels there is a security man on the main door to the reception at all times who has a handheld scanner and checked every new arrival coming into the hotel
- Random security checks. Your party may be stopped and checked with a scanner at any point within the resort
- At the check point next to Cafe Mickey all bags are checked on conveyor belts and everyone has to open their coats
- Security includes sniffer dogs

I'm also sure I read somewhere you get checked before exiting the train station as well. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

I mean it all sounds pretty solid. I'm not worried at all about the actual parks. You can't just waltz in there with a weapon. I'm sure that goes for personnel as well. It's the outer public areas (Disney Village/Hotels/Bus station/Train station) that are more accessible to someone up to no good.
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

rocker

Short of doing full airport screening there's not much more they could do.  All the recent attacks have been on relatively soft, insecure targets.  I'd say DLP is a pretty hard target as detailed by Sugaroo_

Even these despicable people will do there own risk/reward analysis when planning their next attack so given that DLP could well be one of the most secure outdoor spaces in France, they will probably conclude it's probably better to try hit somewhere easier.

I'm not saying anyone should take unnecessary risks, but if you stop taking your family on holiday then these abhorrent people are starting to win.  Be cautious, keep an eye on what's around you & if you see anything that doesn't feel right, report it to police or a cast member.  Police, Disney or anyone else who's job it is to keep us all safe would far rather have us report things so they can challenge those people behaving "not quite right" than allow one to slip through the net.

I'm also heading to the French Riviera later in the year & while what happened does concern me, until the Government advises against travel, me & my family will still be going.

Zee79

We have just left DLP after 5 days. They search bags manually, through the scanners, they will either hand scan you or you go through the metal detector.
We had a small security scare whilst there & they were amazing, all staff totally calm & security straight on it- someone left their backpack in phantom manor, wouldn't like to have been them!