Trip report Dec 9th-16th

Started by jonathan, December 17, 2012, 04:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Quote from: "never2old"Thank you for sharing your pics, they're excellent!!! I'm particularly jelous of all the characters you met!!! Really looks like your little ones had a magical time :)

You're more than welcome.  They did indeed! We normally make the character meet and greets one of the priorities on our trips.  They managed to fill their autograph books quite easily.  We were lucky to meet so many but then we had dinner at Inventions more than once as well as Cafe Mickey plus there were many character appearances at HNY especially at breakfast and afternoon tea in the Empire State Club Lounge.

AislingM

Awww your kids are just too cute! The afternoon tea looked lovely , love Donald in his festive outfit!
Hotel Cheyenne January 1998, 99, 2000,
Newport Bay May 2002
Hotel Cheyenne January 03,04,05,06,07,08, 10,12
Sequoia Lodge January 2009, Feb 2013
Hotel New York November 11, Feb 14
Newport Bay November 14

jonathan

Quote from: "AislingM"Awww your kids are just too cute! The afternoon tea looked lovely , love Donald in his festive outfit!

Thanks  :D   Yeah the afternoon Christmas tea was very nice.  The  kids also got goody bags at that tea containing Christmas tree ornaments, stickers, colouring pencils and a big postcard signed by Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto.

As we were in the Empire State Club entry to the tea was free (or included in the price of the package- depends which way you want to look at it) but for other patrons it was 15 euros for adults and 10 euros for children and I'm not so sure it was worth that sort of money tbh.  The selection of food out wasn't near as good as what was on offer on normal afternoon teas during the week.  The character interaction was great but not so sure youd put that sort of price on it.

jonathan

One negative I find with DLP (and I guess it's the same everywhere) is their timekeeping.  Not one parade started on time, most were in fact 10 minutes later than they should have been.  I know schedules are hard to keep but when you've been waiting in your spot, in the cold with impatient children, another 10 mins seems like an eternity.

The Tree Lighting Ceremony was the worst.  We'd sort of seen it one evening -basically we got caught in the crowd and had no choice, but we got seperated.  I was with my son while my daughter and youngest son were with my Mum.  I managed to lift my boy up to see and told my daughter I'd do the same for her another evening.
Another evening we waited and had a fairly decent view.  But it started to rain.  Eventually the tree lighting began to start (albeit 15 mins late)  a very kind Australian gentleman offered to lift one of my kids up while I held the other.
Suddenly there was some music, the tree lights went on and that was it.  Basically they werent doing all the pomp and circumstance with the characters because it was raining.  Fair enough but it had been raining a fair while before the ceremony started with no let up in sight so they could have at least announced that fact to the viewing public (most of whom, myself included, wouldn't have stood in the wet watching).

Still, these things can't be helped I suppose- 'they reserve the right to cancel or amend scheduled entertainments without prior notice'  blah blah blah lol