Have we been short changed by Disney Magic on parade?

Started by captain rocket, February 28, 2013, 09:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain rocket

Following on from comments on the picture of the day thread on Blue Lagoon, I thought I would open this subject to debate.
Disney Magic on parade is just basically Once upon a Dream parade with a couple of additions and a couple of deductions!
What do fellow forum members think? Have we been short changed by Disney again?
Once upon a Dream ran for five years, should we expect that Magic on Parade will run until the 25th anniversary? That would mean that some of the floats would have been in use for 10 years? Would this be a Disney record?
My opinion, to start things off, is that the new items in the parade are good, but we would have had every right to expect an all new parade for the 20th!
How long will DLRP short change us all in this way?
What do you think?

dlpfan1992

IMO Disney should of stuck with Once Upon A Dream parade, it's so much better than Disney Magic on Parade. I would of had Once Upon a Dream Parade for the 20th in it's original form not this downgrade!  :roll:

never2old

As much as I loved the OUADP, I don't think they should have kept it much longer, it's good to have a 'new' parade every few years.

Though I agree Magic on Parade it's not the best... I do like the colorful costumes and  the wizards and fairies and overall magic theme, the problem I think it's that most floats do not relate to it... I also think the parade is too fast, having the show stops was very good, and it gave you a good reason to try and view the parade multiple times, in different locations.  I really miss that. It also meant that we had different music with each float, instead of the same song on a loop. It's a very catchy song, but again not my personal favourite...

Personally, the Disney Magic on Parade feels like it's suffered from budget cuts... It would have been better to get more changes to the old floats, more new costumes and characters, new show stops and more new music.  But we're in the middle of an economic crisis, budgets are limited, blah blah blah....

Hopefully for the 25th anniversary we'll get a completely new parade, with totally new floats!

Epcot_Boy

I was actually at DLP on the first day of the New parade, Disney Magic, and although I enjoyed it, as I do all Disney Parades, something niggled me. The truth was, for me, it was a very uninspiring, it just didn't have the wow factor :(
It felt to me that all the money and the planning for the 20th had gone into Dreams, and someone had suddenly said," O, I suppose we should think about the parade as well, if we've got any money left :lol: ".
I've found it hard to fathom why for a such an important event (The 20th) Disney have put something like DM into the celebration pot.
I well remember the awsome 'The Wonderful World of Disney Parade', a brilliant and innovative Parade. Do you remember the 10th celebration with the giant cake and the handing out of sweets. The parade really complimented the 10th, as should DM for the 20th :)
The pop song theme is fine, but after a while begins to wear you down, well it does me :lol:
Never2old is correct, the whole thing is far to quick. If you've marked out your spot and held onto it for a couple of hours, especially in the high season, then you should expect at least a parade to savour, not one that Lewis Hamilton would be proud of ;)
Also, is it me, or does it appear everywhere you look there are CM's dressed in red getting in the way, they always seem to find a way of standing right infront of me :roll:  One day this february I could have sworn there were more of them than guests watching the parade :)
It is true to say that it is very colourful, and I can't complain there I suppose.
I'm not sure how long the parade takes, but I also would love to have seem some stops on the way, maybe some interaction with the guests :thumbs:
It's a real shame for me. Dreams has been a sensation, absolutely glorious. Had they spent a few more pennys on DM then they could have made the 20th a real celebration, something fitting for what is a most wonderful place, Disneyland Paris. Shame :(

David

ilovedisneylandparis

I can see what you guys mean. I think Dreams is absolutely amazing and could not be bettered, whereas Magic on Parade I'm not quite so sure about. When I saw it in person I did really enjoy it (I don't think it would be possible for me not to enjoy a Disney parade!  :oops:) but I agree with never2old about the song - I think with the way it is just repeated throughout it gets a bit tiresome and almost awkward when it stops and starts again? Especially when compared with Just Like We Dreamed It and all of the Disney songs incorporated in with it.

My other issue with it was/is the first float - I think the idea of having the castle as part of the float is amazing, but the finished product is just a bit small-scale and not as impressive as ones I've seen before. If you think back to the amazing OUAD parade and its first float, and also the Wonderful World of Disney Parade with its Steamboat Willie homage, this first float falls a bit flat in comparison, in my opinion. Also (and no offence to the blue fairy because I love her  :)) I do really enjoy it when Mickey & Minnie start the parade, it just seems grand and official...I think having the blue fairy at the start of the parade is a bit...random?

Other than that I do really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to seeing it again :) But when I watch OUAD parade on Youtube I still get tears in my eyes and can sense the magic, and that's something I don't really feel in quite the same way when I watch the new parade :(

grovesie

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy"I was actually at DLP on the first day of the New parade, Disney Magic, and although I enjoyed it, as I do all Disney Parades, something niggled me. The truth was, for me, it was a very uninspiring, it just didn't have the wow factor :(
It felt to me that all the money and the planning for the 20th had gone into Dreams, and someone had suddenly said," O, I suppose we should think about the parade as well, if we've got any money left :lol: ".
I've found it hard to fathom why for a such an important event (The 20th) Disney have put something like DM into the celebration pot.
I well remember the awsome 'The Wonderful World of Disney Parade', a brilliant and innovative Parade. Do you remember the 10th celebration with the giant cake and the handing out of sweets. The parade really complimented the 10th, as should DM for the 20th :)
The pop song theme is fine, but after a while begins to wear you down, well it does me :lol:
Never2old is correct, the whole thing is far to quick. If you've marked out your spot and held onto it for a couple of hours, especially in the high season, then you should expect at least a parade to savour, not one that Lewis Hamilton would be proud of ;)
Also, is it me, or does it appear everywhere you look there are CM's dressed in red getting in the way, they always seem to find a way of standing right infront of me :roll: One day this february I could have sworn there were more of them than guests watching the parade :)
It is true to say that it is very colourful, and I can't complain there I suppose.
I'm not sure how long the parade takes, but I also would love to have seem some stops on the way, maybe some interaction with the guests :thumbs:
It's a real shame for me. Dreams has been a sensation, absolutely glorious. Had they spent a few more pennys on DM then they could have made the 20th a real celebration, something fitting for what is a most wonderful place, Disneyland Paris. Shame :(

We were in the parks at the same time, I agree with everything that has been said, It would be nice if they included characters of the moment and those of the Disney Chanel, for example the film of the moment is Wreck it ralph, Why not have a walk along character included in the parade  or Phineas and Ferb or introduce different characters from each film in the parade, EG for the Toy Story why not include more characters from the film This would make parades a bit different each time you visit

Ian