2017 land deadline to be extended?

Started by Anthony, January 29, 2010, 06:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Carrying on reading through the PDF posted in the DLP Group structure topic, I stumbled on this:

QuoteThe maintenance of these acquisition rights is subject to certain minimum development deadlines (the next of which is in March 2017) which if not met or amended, could result in the expiration of these rights. Also, any land acquisition rights for the remaining undeveloped land that are not included in a development phase or approved by the Group and the relevant French authorities in March 2017 will expire. Management is currently negotiating with the French authorities to extend this deadline. As of September 30, 2009, all minimum development deadlines have been met and no land rights have expired unused.
http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CO ... df#page=14

Was that already known?

So the age-old thing of "they need to build a 3rd park by 2017 or lose the land!" might not be so set in stone after all, which is probably good news if we don't want them doing another WDS: blowing all their money (but not enough money) on something underwhelming that they're arguably not ready for.

Hopefully the French authorities will agree forcing this deadline won't do anyone any favours at the moment.

Timbo

I see this as good news , as you said they do not have to rush to build a new park ! I would rather they spent any money on fixing the Studios and getting it to be a proper Disney park ! Even though I would love to see a third gate , there are other places that need the money first.

pussinboots

Interesting find. Although I'm sure we'd all expected this. The Studios sent them into a plunge after having done relatively well for seven years — they would sooner have sold the land to Six Flags than built another €500mn. park.

Also, this couldn't just be a park. A whole new area of the resort would have to be built up, they would need new infrastructure, possibly a new hotel/entertainment area, etc. Obviously not a project that should be on their radar for a while.

Pete's Dragon

Nice to see a bit a common sense from the French gov. A 3rd park would probably break the resort.
If they did try to enforce it, they could always knock up a zoo or something just to meet the requirements

mommy2ash

i agree it would be nice to have a third park but when the resort is ready for it. they have so much more to do before they get to that stage. even now the main park could do with some help. some shows, some refurbs. seriously somebody give me a power hose and i will clean the teacups for free!!!
Santa Fe Oct 08
Santa Fe Feb 09
Santa Fe/Sequioa Lodge Nov 09

luke85

Quote from: "mommy2ash"seriously somebody give me a power hose and i will clean the teacups for free!!!

I will gladly help you, that attraction is filthy! The floor is grey with dirt  :evil:

Aveen2008

I agree with all who said they would like to see a new park but that it really just wouldn't make any sense to do it.

I sometimes feel that they rushed to open the studios when it wasnt really fit to be a park... I try to think of it now thw way it was when I first went in 2006, no tower of terror, no hollywood boulevard, no toon town, no cars, no crush, no playhouse, no stitch, no narnia set (not that its a gain really when theres not even a character there to meet and greet anyway)! I just think to myself how little there actually was and yet they opened the park that way! Even with the addition of all the new things it still could be doing with more work and I guess toy storyland is at least an extention to what is there! And don't even get me started on how much work there needs to be put into the studio tram tour - aka the garden centre furniture tour!! lol! :P

I also agree money should be..or should I say needs to be put into disneyland park - take in a good show! A well loved classic like beauty and the beast or something!! There is so much they could do and pleaseeeeeee re-open casey jnr/storybook land, I haven't been on it since April 2007 even though I have been 3 times since but it was never opened!

I am hoping that if they could afford it they would do it and are not just sitting on their hands.
Luv Aveen xoxo

paul

Quote from: "Aveen2008"the studio tram tour - aka the garden centre furniture tour!! lol! :P

:lol:

dagobert

Is the third park supposed to be a theme park or could it also be a water park?

I think there is no real chance that there will be a third park in the next 10 years. There are so many problems in the existing parks that Disney should spend the money to improve the existing resort. Furthermore there is no money to build something new until 2017.

charlied

Quote from: "dagobert"Is the third park supposed to be a theme park or could it also be a water park?

Let's bring back the old Lava Lagoon rumour!! That would be brilliant for 2017. But I really really hope they don't build a third park for at least another 15 years, otherwise it'll be rubbish and incomplete like WDS was. I'd much rather wait until 2037 and get a park which has the same detail and quality as DisneySea.

Remco K.

Quote from: "charlied"But I really really hope they don't build a third park for at least another 15 years, otherwise it'll be rubbish and incomplete like WDS [strike:2tdgf2e6]was[/strike:2tdgf2e6] is.
They really should concentrate on turning WDS into a Disney quality themepark, if possible... Instead of improving small parts of the WDS, they really should destruct larger parts of it and rebuild the studios to something that deserves to be titled themepark. Do I hear someone saying "DCA makeover"? If only they had the money...

andrewuk

Quote from: "Remco K."
Quote from: "charlied"But I really really hope they don't build a third park for at least another 15 years, otherwise it'll be rubbish and incomplete like WDS [strike:5k3k7tta]was[/strike:5k3k7tta] is.
They really should concentrate on turning WDS into a Disney quality themepark, if possible... Instead of improving small parts of the WDS, they really should destruct larger parts of it and rebuild the studios to something that deserves to be titled themepark. Do I hear someone saying "DCA makeover"? If only they had the money...

The plan was going to be to add the theatre district and then transform backlot into 'Action Studio' but they haven't done anything at all.

Also wasn't there a rumour that the next Disney theme park after Shanghai will be in Paris? I can't remember where I saw that. Can anyone help?

I can't get excited over a glorified indoor swimming pool rather than a theme park. I wonder if they'll open the third one with only 1 coaster or if they've learnt by now that that's a bad idea.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

dagobert

The third park will be called "Disney's Great Carnival Rides Park".  :lol:

Kristof

Quote from: "andrewuk"The plan was going to be to add the theatre district and then transform backlot into 'Action Studio' but they haven't done anything at all.

In fact that plan still exists.  It depends on when Soarin' will be build.  :wink:

dagobert

So wouldn't it be better for the studios to build Soarin' first and then the Ratatouille ride, because of the makeover of Production Courtyard?