World of Color for Walt Disney Studios?!

Started by Anthony, January 13, 2010, 06:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

This rumour is worth a topic of its own! To quote RnRCj:

QuoteThere's a great new article on Disneyandmore about possible future projects:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/ ... uture.html

Mostly rumours we've all heard before, but there are a few new things. What I found most interesting is that World Of Colour is being considered for WDS. Not only would it be a fantastic night-show for the park, but it would add a nice water body to the park as well.
And Disney and More:

QuoteA Night Show for the Walt Disney Studios?

Recently i saw on french forums a rumor talking about a lake that should be build behind WDS Hollywood Blvd and Tower of Terror. Well, DLP fans will be happy to learn that more than a simple rumor it's a real project. The Walt Disney Studios generally close each day around 7 p.m, mainly (but not only) because the park don't have a night show. So, the plan is to build a lake which will host not Fantasmic! but the World of Color show - yes, the same one opening in April at DCA.

Why World of Color instead of Fantasmic!, you ask? Well once it is built the World of Color show need less cast-members, so the operation cost won't be as high as Fantasmic! Still, DLP executives are probably waiting to know more about the maintenance cost of World of Color at DCA and then, eventually, and if the funds are available, World of Color will come to the WDS. As this is a long term project, don't expect it before at least 2015.
If you've somehow missed the news, Disney's World of Color is the new nighttime lagoon show for Disney's California Adventure, being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8486

Scissorsboi

If this does happen it's brilliant news! It'll give Studios something to keep you there until the end of the day, and the resort a true spectacle to be proud of.

Fantasmic! is still a massive draw for the crowds in America - and it's looking like World of Color will do the same for DCA, so hopefully something of that scale will have to same effect in Paris. Although maybe the most exciting part is that a body of water will finally make it's way into WDS! The position does seem odd though, I guess it'll go behind the Tram Tour track and sit into the corner which passes the movie cars?
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

smurfy74

ok ive read the whole article and i must say its all very plausible even my other half perked up with the POTC changes and it takes a lot to gain attention from the PS3  :D  :D  :D

pussinboots

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"The position does seem odd though, I guess it'll go behind the Tram Tour track and sit into the corner which passes the movie cars?

I presume it's part of the greater plan to expand the park beyond the Tram Tour by way of Hollywood Boulevard. From day one there have been plans to move the Tram Tour station and build a bridge or tunnel in its place.

(That plan is now eight years old, for the record.)

JelleP

That would be wonderful!
A lake AND a night time show for the WDS, it would finally make the WDS a 'real' Disney-Park.
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

dagobert

I've already said in another thread, that WoC would be a great addition to WDS, because there is nothing in this park to make it worth staying there for the evening hours.

But I'm not sure if Disney has the money to build this.

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"But I'm not sure if Disney has the money to build this.
The lake and so on is a very long term aspiration really. It's not a bad thing for even Euro Disney SCA to have dreams. By 2015-2020 you never know how the company will be doing.

WDSfans adds a bit more:
QuoteWalt Disney Studios Park is the only Disney theme park in the world without a large body of water. Which is why a large lake is included in the park's master plan. Earlier plans showed the lake located at the end of a prolonged Hollywood Blvd. which will go all the way up past the forest. The lake would serve as a waterfront backlot surrounded by sets and prop ships.

It seems natural that such a large spectacular would be the best location for the park's lacking night time entertainment.

dagobert

Of courese it's not a bad thing for ED SCA to have dreams, but to make this dreams come true you need money. And there is the problem.
At the moment ED SCA doesn't make enough money to build new attractions, but without new attraction there will not come more guests to the resort and without more guests ED SCA will not generate enough money for new attractions. It's a vicious circle.

TOT is the best example, because this single attraction pulled a lot of guests into DLRP and I think without TOT DLRP wouldn't have a record attendance since 2007-2008.

Columbiad

Wow! This sounds fantastic! I love the idea of extending the boulevard all the way down to a lake - this sounds amazing! I'tll add a nice symmetry to the park that DCA and Hollywood Studios seem to lack.

Adam

I assume this will be where the staff car park/storage area is at the moment. It would also help solve the problem for Studio Tram Tours, as they could the station to an alternative location around the lake and the new route would go behind the lake between the two goods bits, with some new extras added along the route.

Martyn

Wow, this sounds good!

And a lake at the centre of the Studio's would be fab, it would make it feel like a proper special little park. As appose to just concrete everywhere!

jwagner

even just the lake would be such an improvement....the studios are much to small, but ths would solve many problems: more room, not so much concreed and a great reason to spend a hole day there.
and by the way: i really like it more than fantasmic!!!

stevo505

I think that's a great idea.  Because the technology for World of Color is so versatile, scenes can be added/replaced/removed with so much more ease than in Fantasmic.  I would love to see WDS get a new version of the show, hopefully not a carbon copy.  Let's hope this rumor is true!

It would be very nice for WDS to have some work and expansion done; the lake sounds especially great.  Maybe it could be even larger than the one at DCA (if there's room) so pyrotechnic effects could be added.  Fireworks in Paradise Bay at DCA don't have a pretty outcome.  Smoke everywhere!  With a larger lagoon at WDS, I could easily see some low-level fireworks incorporated into a show like this.

lil-shawn

After watching the video of the show i think it would fit perfectly into our studios,
the show is true disney magic. And since i know that the whole thing cost disney 75million to
build i ask myself why they build for the same amount of money toy story playland...

pussinboots

First things first... You can't just shoehorn a lake into the park, unless they decide to go for a Disney's Hollywood Studios-type Fantasmic! arena, which would frankly be a big waste.

So what could they do? Extend Hollywood Boulevard up to a lake? And then what would lie around that lake? See, this is where the original layout of the park shows its ugly, impossible head.