Honey I Shrunk The Audience aging badly?

Started by mehdi5, August 20, 2009, 10:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehdi5

Last week i spent a week at Disneyland Paris on vacation, but on Friday i decided to ride Honey I Shrunk The Audience for the first time in 8 years since the last time i saw it, but has the ride really aged that badly? Tge 3D hardly seems impressive anymore, but that's not what i am talking about mostly. The pre-show looked like a 10 year old Kodak commercial, wich it actually is i believe and a lot of effects we're either not working or just seemed very week. The water effect from the part where the dog sneezes use to be much more powerful, and the mice effect under the chairs seems a bit, well i don't think with the current effect a lot of people think it's mice anymore due to aging and just not working like it use to, i know it still has a few years to go, but my point is, it has really aged badly, needing replacement faster than i would've though, anybody agree or have more points on it?

Luigi

i agree, it's for me the weakest attraction in the park. the 3d effect really aged badly and looks pretty cheap now. Also the story around it, is ok, but not so entertaining, after all the time. I think they should replace it soon.

never2old

You know, I disagree about the 3D, I think it's still quite good, and every time I've been with first timers they were quite impressed with it. Sure it's a bit old now, but it still works: I love seeing people jump when the snake comes out!

I do agree though that the effects are not always working... I usually go once during my visits, and sometimes I get everything working great, and sometimes not so much... The mice I only get working maybe half the times, the dog sneeze maybe 2 out of 3. But when everything works, it's a great little show!

But PLEASE get rid of the Kodak advert at the pre-show... please!!!  [-o<  [-o<  [-o<

Owain

Quote from: "never2old"But PLEASE get rid of the Kodak advert at the pre-show... please!!!  [-o<  [-o<  [-o<

I see your true colours shinning throguh....  :-"  :lol:

never2old

Quote from: "Owain"
Quote from: "never2old"But PLEASE get rid of the Kodak advert at the pre-show... please!!!  [-o<  [-o<  [-o<

Oh great, now I got that song in my head  :P

burntsienna

Quote from: "never2old"
Quote from: "Owain"

Oh great, now I got that song in my head  :P
Lol its in my head too!
I haven't been on Honey I Shrunk The Audience for quite some time, mainly because I think I'd be disappointed now as theres so many things in 3D which could explain why the show looks a little dated, because all the new 3D is well...new and better quality.
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

dlrpkris

Well with the rumours of the American parks getting a rewamped version of this attraction, I'm guessing we wouldnt change the technology behind it until then. It does look pretty bad now when you consider most multiplex cinemas now have a superb digital 3D screen for all the upcoming movies. Considering Disney is really embracing this technology, it's a shame the parks are so behind right now...
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

QTXAdsy

I  can't see Disney giving the ride a much needed refurb as HISTA is not as big as it was years ago, I could only see them replacing it.
But what would they replace it with?
My 'War of The Worlds' idea? :lol:  :P

Here Come The Belgians!

Maarten

Quote from: "dlrpkris"It does look pretty bad now when you consider most multiplex cinemas now have a superb digital 3D screen for all the upcoming movies. Considering Disney is really embracing this technology, it's a shame the parks are so behind right now...

Very good point. I haven't thought about that before but I completely agree.

Quote from: "QTXAdsy"But what would they replace it with?

WALL-E perhaps? I mean, if Honey I Schrunk the Audience has te be replaced with another 3D film, it would make sense. Besides, with Disney's current mindset to install as much Pixar franchises as possible in their parks, WALL-E would be a no-brainer. A WALL-E 3D show would fit in with Epcot's Future World and the other Tomorrowlands aswell (at least more then Monsters Inc, Buzz Lightyear and Finding Nemo currently do), so it would be cheap for Disney to install it in multiple parks at once. It would also fit in with Discoveryland's "vision of the future" theme (according to Pixar this time instead of Jules Verne, George Lucas etc). For those who haven't seen the film, it warns us about the way we use the Earth's resources and what kind of consequences it could have for life on Earth.

Although I am against toonification of the parks, I think WALL-E has a very sophisticated and classic feel to it. Definately one of the best animated films in the last few years if you ask me. Just remember the Define Dancing scene in the film. At least these characters arent as "in your face" as Buzz Lightyear. With WALL-E, language wouldn't be much of a problem either.

[youtube:22w592b8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQFuesfaoI[/youtube:22w592b8]

dlrpkris

When you told me the idea, I loved it! Such a great theme to add to Discoveryland and all the other HISTA locations and... yes, Disney are more likely to do something like this than a classic Disney piece. To be honest, that just wouldn't fit here. Would be nice for the Next Generation Festival though... truly
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

Hathaway Browne

HISTA was past its best within about 1 year of its installation Stateside. It desperately needs replacing over there, let alone in Paris. But I'm afraid with the awkward monetary situation there I guess it'll have to stay for a while. At least its tucked out of the way.
Marching along, we\'re Adventurers! Singing the Song of Adventurers!
Up or Down, North, South, East or West An Adventurers Life is Best!

*TIMMIE*

I think TRON could be a very good candidate for a new 3D experience. :)

charlied

I watched this show yesterday (just got back) and it really is pretty awful now. The Kodak advert is probably the cheesiest thing at DLP and the headphones are extremely uncomfortable. Not that they stopped me from hearing the show in French. The mice effects and the dog sneezing at the end didn't work at all!!!!! But at least the snake and the lion still made me jump!

Disney_Dad

Aside from the aging technical aspects, the whole look and feel of the show is dated.  The pre-show is embarassingly cheesy.  Replace with another 3D attraction ASAP.

Timbo

I agree this show is well past its best ! I bet most of the audience don't even remember the film it is based around.We only go on it to warm up if we are there in the midlle of winter, and to have a sit down too ! And a lot of the effects do not work as well as they should , time for a change !