Mary Poppins West End - The Movie?

Started by Kristof, December 31, 2005, 01:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

From IMDB.com  :-s

In a reported production move that seems on its face as implausible as flying with the aid of an umbrella, Steven Spielberg is planning to bring back Mary Poppins to the screen, using the cast from the current stage hit in London, the London Daily Mail reported today (Friday), citing Richard Eyre, who directed the show and is bringing it to Broadway in the fall. The West End Poppins uses much of the same script and virtually all of the music as the movie and was co-produced by Thomas Schumacher, president of Disney Theatrical Productions and British stage impresario Cameron Macintosh. "I would hope to use as much of the West End cast as possible and keep Mary English rather than have the role go to a big American star name," Eyre told the newspaper. Laura-Michelle Kelly performed the title role on stage that was originally played by Julie Andrews in the 1964 Disney movie. She received lavish praise from theater critics -- as well as from Andrews herself, when she attended the theatrical production last March.

Jorien

:?: Why??????  :?:  :?:  :?:

We already have a mary poppins movie.........  :?

Anthony

What??!!!  Well this should take the Oscar for Weirdest Rumour Of The Year...

The only way I can see there being any truth in this is if they're simply planning on filming the musical and releasing it on DVD...  But I think for Disney even that's unlikely (they'll lose money with people buying the DVD instead of seeing the show).

I think movies should only be remade if:
a) The original movie was rubbish and the story deserves better.
b) Technology has advanced way beyond the original film (like King Kong?).

Mary Poppins isn't perfect, but it's one those films that should simply *never* *ever* be remade.  I hope this rumour vanishes to the bottom of Mary's bag as quickly as possible...

Kristof

And what's the deal with Spielberg/Disney?  They weren't close friends after Roger Rabbit?

Patrick

If this rumour is true I will eat a hat, though with the way disney is going these days maybe I will be :lol: .  This seems rather strange, though I loved the west end musical, for that a west end musical, would be rather weird having it as a movie.  The 60's version should never be remade and definately this should not happen, if this is true wonder what Andrews thinks, she must be a bit annoyed seeing that her most famous movie is going to be remade by Disney, and spielburg that don't make sense, he would never be willing to work for Disney again, or could it be he likes Iger, and hated Eisner :wink: ?

Anthony

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"her most famous movie is going to be remade by Disney, and spielburg that don't make sense, he would never be willing to work for Disney again, or could it be he likes Iger, and hated Eisner :wink: ?
Yeah, that part is probably more unbelievable than them actually remaking the film.  Spielberg and Disney?!  No way!  Mary Poppins released as a Dreamworks film?  Still no way!  :D

Kristof

Thank god  :? , from http://www.spielbergfilms.com

December 28, 2005 Updates
-'Mary Poppins' rumors are Supercalafragalisticexpialabullcrap
In a flight of fancy that would have Uncle Walt spinning in his cryogenic chamber, UK rumor mill ContactMusic kick started a contagious piece of gossip today claiming that Steven Spielberg is developing a film version of the "Mary Poppins" musical currently on stage in London.

Sir Richard Eyre, director of the musical "Mary Poppins," is quoted (or perhaps misquoted) by ContactMusic as saying that, "Spielberg wants to make a new film of Mary Poppins and we've talked about it a lot. It will be hard to outdo the original, but kids love the story and I'm sure that the remake will be a real success."

While P.L. Travers "Mary Poppins" books would seem ripe for rediscovery as a franchise (in the "Harry Potter," "Lord of the Rings," "Chronicles of Narnia" kind of vein), Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment says its not going to happen, at least not with Spielberg as ContactMusic reports.

"I think a spoonful of sugar went down the wrong way," Spielberg's public relations rep Marvin Levy told SpielbergFilms.com

"I never heard of this and couldn't imagine Steven ever doing a remake of a classic - and a [Walt Disney] classic at that. There's a Broadway show from Disney but nothing involving us in any way."

Hope I didn't bring anyone's tea party on the ceiling crashing down by debunking this wacky rumor, but there you have it, folks.

Patrick

YAY, that's great news, Mary Poppins should never be remade, so yay, glad it's just a rumour, what is it with these days all these rumours about movies being remade, I mean there was even a rumour last week saying that Back to the Future 4 was being made, and that also has been dismissed as total rubbish, even said that Michael J Fox didn't even say a thing, really wish people would stop with these rumours, they get annoying so fast, and just annoy us fans lol.

Anthony

Phew!!!  I knew it would just be one of "those" rumours...

I was almost starting to prepare myself for "Mary Poppins 2: Bert Gets Hurt" too!  :lol: