[DLR] Mike and Sulley to the Rescue!

Started by Anthony, December 26, 2005, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

You know - I only just realised how funny it is that this attraction itself is actually going "to the rescue" of DCA...  :D

Anyway, it soft opened on 20th December 05 and so there's lots of photos and videos around on the web to see...

MouseInfo.com
Photo Guide through the attraction and queue:
http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=491745
Photo Gallery with 200+ images:
http://www.mouseinfo.com/gallery/browse ... 78&userid=
Video: (you need to be registered on the forums)
http://www.mouseinfo.com/gallery/misc.p ... ile&i=7689

LaughingPlace.com
Pre-Show and Ride-Through Video:
http://mb.laughingplace.com/lotion/vide ... 1-high.WMV
Photo Guide:
http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-178.asp

Some photos from the Laughing Place gallery...

The new, imaginatively named "Hollywood Studios" area of Hollywood Pictures Backlot:

They've attempted to make the area look greener, more friendly and more "Disney":

A Sorcerer Mickey fountain, eh?  That's original:

I can't say this is my favourite attraction exterior ever created:

OK, and here's my opinion (based on an on ride video and a photo gallery only! lol):  The ride is VERY nice.  It's exactly the kind of childish, simple, old Disney dark ride the park seemed to need.  The pre-show and use of the old Superstar Limo video monitors on the vehicles is nice too.  The outside, and the whole "Hollywood Studios" area, however, looks HORRIBLE!!! It starts well with the nice art deco gate, but then gets worse and worse as you get closer to the UGLY 2D facade in front of the attraction.  I think I appreciate what a beautiful park we have with the Walt Disney Studios a LOT more now!  :wink:

Does anyone agree with me?  :?

The ride officially opens in January 2006.

Kristof

QuoteDoes anyone agree with me?

oh yes, for 100%.  The Sorcerer Apprentice fountain seems out of place.  :?

Anthony

I'm glad they didn't build the full Fantasia fountain from WDS's Front Lot, but I feel sorry for DLR fans - this work was meant to really improve the area, but I actually think it looks worse than before!  At least before it all seemed to fit together nicely, even if it was a bit too industrial and bland!  :?

That Monsters Inc facade is a totally wrong backdrop for the mickey statue - people always say Studio Tram Tour is a bad backdrop for our Partners Statue, but this is far, far worse!

And I haven't even mentioned how cheap it is of Disney to copy our statue for a second time, have I?  :roll:

At least the Monsters ride itself looks good, so California Adventure isn't *totally* doomed.  Where will they go now, though?  I think even after A Bug's Land, ToT and Monsters, the park still needs a lot of work.  Any ideas for what attraction they could open next?  I think it'll probably go into one of those empty buildings in the new Hollywood Studios area...

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"And I haven't even mentioned how cheap it is of Disney to copy our statue for a second time, have I?  :roll:

Second time? Its the third time they did it. EuroDisney S.C.A gave a copy of the statue to Tokto Disneyland for its 20th anniversary in 2003. The statue can be found just between Cinderella Castle and the Carousel, on the spot where you can find the Excalibur in Paris.

Then they put the statue in the Fantasy Gardens in Hong Kong Disneyland, and since a couple of weeks it can be found in front of Monsters Inc. at Disney's California Adventure, as you can see on the picture.

Kristof

Yes you're right. Many American fans think that the statue originates from the Tokyo park.  :roll:

Anthony

Wow, I never knew it was in Tokyo aswell!  Thanks (or not, as the case may be!) for the info, Maarten!

It's such a shame they had to do this with such a lovely piece of our Studios...  :cry:

On an entirely different note, does anyone think there's any chance whatsoever of Mike & Sulley To The Rescue appearing in Paris?  :?   It would fit perfectly in Toon Studios, though maybe they could do more with the theme, if they built a Monsters Inc ride from scratch? (without using an existing ride system/building like in DCA)

This kind of classic Snow White/Pinocchio/Alice in Wonderland fantasyland dark ride is something the studios will still be missing after 2008.  But maybe that isn't a bad thing?

Kristof

What about putting it in the Imaginations building?  The location is perfect!  And people from the tram tour can sneakpeak inside the attraction through the windows (like the Peoplemover in WDW).

Kristof

The openingdate has been announced by Disney:

Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue! will have it's official opening on Monday January 23! There will be a private Premiere Party Sunday night that will welcome Hollywood celebrities down a "blue-spotted" carpet who will attend the opening of the newest attraction at Disney's California Adventure.
Monday at 10AM is the official grand opening of the attraction. There will be a short grand opening ceremony followed by the opening of the attraction. Mickey News will be there both Sunday for the party as well as Monday for the opening so look for a story with all the details.

This new attraction is taking the place of the short lived All Star Limo Ride that was only open for a few short months then closed unexpectedly leaving a large empty spot in the back corner of Hollywood Backlot. There had been many rumors about what was going in that location and it wasn't until last May that Disney announced this new exciting attraction.

Look for exciting new effects in this classic Disney "Dark Ride" and a special ending that the kids will love.

http://www.mickeynews.com

Anthony

Photos from the "Blue Carpet Premiere" grand opening event can be found here: http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30241

Patrick

Interesting selection of stars, suppose in America most of them are known the only ones I can remotely say I know of are the 2 kids who play Zack and Cody, thanks to the English Disney channel showing the suite life with Zack and Codie :lol: .  Though isnt it weird how much different Disneyland open their attractions compared to Paris, with like a month of soft openings for anyone, whereas in Europe it's shareholders and annual pass holders only.  Though nice to see they have made a big deal out of what can only be seen as an interesting makeover of an actually quite fun looking coaster that it was before anyway :lol: .

Jorien

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"Interesting selection of stars, suppose in America most of them are known the only ones I can remotely say I know of are the 2 kids who play Zack and Cody, thanks to the English Disney channel showing the suite life with Zack and Codie :lol: .  Though isnt it weird how much different Disneyland open their attractions compared to Paris, with like a month of soft openings for anyone, whereas in Europe it's shareholders and annual pass holders only.  Though nice to see they have made a big deal out of what can only be seen as an interesting makeover of an actually quite fun looking coaster that it was before anyway :lol: .

For your information, i think that's Lisa Kudrow (Played Phoebe in 'Friends') on the other picture.  :wink:

Patrick

Well for your information I'm not 100% and seem a bit stupid at the moment :lol: , well I don't know who plays who in Friends never was a fan, can't they make it easy and name the people by their characters :P .  To make this post remotely on topic doesn't it look cheap though the background, really not even 3D  :lol:

Anthony

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"To make this post remotely on topic doesn't it look cheap though the background, really not even 3D  :lol:
Yeah, it's almost as bad as the original Superstar Limo one...

You would have thought they'd try something new, wouldn't you?  I think they even kept the exact same 2D cut-out, and just designed the monster doors to fit onto it...  Compare the amount of work gone into changing Le Visionarium to Buzz and then Superstar Limo to Monsters, and it's really shocking... Monsters is almost like Superstar but with the Monsters replacing the celebrities.  Maybe they didn't even need to replace them then? haha

I was 99% sure that was Lisa Kudrow on the photo, but I didn't want to mention it incase I was wrong!  I'm very very impressed that DLR can get a star like this - someone who used to get $1m per episode!  I wish DLRP would be a bit better with their celebrities.  We either get random french people who no-one (probably not even the french) care about, or we get people like DJ Tiesto or Vin Diesel, who are probably just there to advertise their own work, like concerts or The Pacifier...  :roll:

When DLR got Christina Aguilera for the 50th kickoff event, her photo was in almost every newspaper the following day, with that bright "50th anniversary" photo backdrop clearly showing...  Nice work, Disneyland!  :)

Patrick

Wait a second, is it me or is there something strange about that photo, people are queueing outside the entrance for Superstar Limo, remind me again why did they change it :lol: .